Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anybody sell Cal Look rubber by the foot/roll?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Does anybody sell Cal Look rubber by the foot/roll? Reply with quote

I'm looking for Cal Look windshield rubber, but by the roll, not pre-cut for a specific year windshield. Is there anywhere you can still get it like this?

Thanks!
(and if this is in the wrong forum, sorry, and feel free to move it)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anybody sell Cal Look rubber by the foot/roll? Reply with quote

I imagine that would leak for two reasons. The corners would not fit well, and the ends would split where glued.

Or are you using it for some other purpose than windshield seal replacement?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Does anybody sell Cal Look rubber by the foot/roll? Reply with quote

Call West Coast Metric. Buy a late model and cut it down.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anybody sell Cal Look rubber by the foot/roll? Reply with quote

lots of different kinds of seals for windshields/etc here

https://www.steelerubber.com/dense-extrusions
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anybody sell Cal Look rubber by the foot/roll? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I imagine that would leak for two reasons. The corners would not fit well, and the ends would split where glued.

Or are you using it for some other purpose than windshield seal replacement?

Using for a non-VW. I've got a '68 Saab I'm turning into a replica of the car that won the '68 Mexican 1000 2 wheel drive production class. The guy who sells repro Saab rubber is charging out the wazoo for it ($160 for a windshield seal!) - I held up the original off the car to a snippet of VW rubber - and the cross section is exactly the same.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Does anybody sell Cal Look rubber by the foot/roll? Reply with quote

Back in the day JC Whitney used to sell window and door rubber by the foot, made to various profiles.

I just googled and they still do... maybe find a good profile there?

https://www.jcwhitney.com/results/?N=0&Ne=2+11...6&VN=0

Plan B might be to call ISPWest or other VW suppliers who actually make, have parts made, and see if they have a source.

Maybe a stock Bay Bus seal might be as large as your SAAB's glass, and fit, or be trimmable to fit.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Does anybody sell Cal Look rubber by the foot/roll? Reply with quote

I used to get it from CRL when I did custom windows... Don't know if they still carry it or not so, you'd have to go thru the catalog to find a correct profile... Like I said if they still even carry it...

If you can't find it in the catalog then give them a call and see if you can send them a sample of what your looking for, they might have them sitting in a warehouse somewhere as discontinued item...

(sometimes I also used to use profiles w/locking strips as well)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: