Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle fluid change
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Never had to recheck after filling. It takes a while to get it in anyway.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Tom K. wrote:
Warning the oil in advance as mentioned above helps minimize this problem, but I would still check again after 24 hours.

Never warn the oil that it is going to lube a 40 yr old tranny. I mean would you knowingly lube a 40 yr old *tranny*?

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

HINT: warm up the gear oil container in the sun or in the house overnight so it will be less viscous and easier to pump in.

Better still heat the container in a bucket of hot water.

For 80W-90 info I have seen shows the viscosity at 20 degrees C (say 70F) is 500 centistokes, at 35C (95F) it is 200 centistokes and at 50C (120F) about 80 centistokes. After that it is a law of diminishing returns and it doesn't change too much. So the viscosity is 6 times thinner (read runs 6 times quicker) when heated to 50C.

Also be aware that differing climatic conditions require different oils. I'm sure you all know this. Some straight 80 oils cannot safely withstand the higher temperatures that Cusser might experience and conversely in cold temperatures you need different grades when it's below zero. Just read the bottle.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Yes Valvoline 80W-90 is fine.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Well on some cold mornings have to stay in first gear for a block or so. That is after I got it in first gear. The oil may be thick.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Got, I changed to Redline, and the shifting on cold mornings is significantly improved.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Got, I changed to Redline, and the shifting on cold mornings is significantly improved.

Tim

Let's save this for the dedicated topic.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Same here we made the switch to synthetic years ago and never looked back. Been using this and while it costs more the benefits outweigh the higher price. 80w90 is like sludge compared to this but the old tech will still work if that’s all you have or aspire to. When it comes to pumps you can buy the plastic ones which are disposable and goes nicely with our throwaway society attitudes or you could use one of these old garage type pumps which have been around forever. I scored this one at a flea market for 10 bucks and have been using well over twenty years now. These old metal pumps are still being made that’s how much people like them although I’d shop used because you’ll find a smokin deal on them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The metal pump I’ve had for years

Here’s the oil we use and a plastic throwaway pump

Specs on this oil I’ve never had a problem using this although there’s a raging discussion over 200 pages long of GL 4 vs. GL5 it’s mostly clowns promoting a myth about why you shouldn’t use the newer oil. Use the newer oil the clowns are wrong and despite repeated requests cannot prove or offer any documented proof of why we shouldn’t be using it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Agreed. I run Redline in my trannys.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

OK... so let's use the dedicated topic since we are discussing brands.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: