Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 421, 422, 423 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There are differences between the stock Beetle and Bus, Type 1 engines, but if you take them into account you can swap a Beetle engine into a bus without too much extra effort.

Just because it looks on the outside like it did when it came from the factory doesn't mean its the same on the inside. There are a variety of Type 1 engine builds that will not work that well in a bus, but without pulling the engine down it is hard to know what you actually have.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks.

New topic: is there a thread that talks about the differences between a 70 bay and a 70's single cab? For instance, I just happened to read a thread that talked about the rear corners of a truck being different than a bus. I'm buying a single cab and it will needs some work but I don't want to end up buying the wrong stuff.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi all. Just put 15" wheels on my rig (junk yard find and bored them out to fit over bus hub). They fit good, I'm just wondering if i need new lug nuts, or studs.. or maybe i'm fine. The stud wont go to the end of the lug nut, should this be fine?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
Hi all. Just put 15" wheels on my rig (junk yard find and bored them out to fit over bus hub). They fit good, I'm just wondering if i need new lug nuts, or studs.. or maybe i'm fine. The stud wont go to the end of the lug nut, should this be fine?

I'd install longer studs, long enough that they fully protrude through the nuts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:

My concern would be the contact surface between the wheel and the hub.
The nut at the one o'clock position shows a couple threads, while the one at the eight o'clock position has 6 or 8 threads showing. It looks like the wheel isn't sitting flush to the hub.

And, yeah, longer studs if I'm wrong.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
My concern would be the contact surface between the wheel and the hub.
The nut at the one o'clock position shows a couple threads, while the one at the eight o'clock position has 6 or 8 threads showing. It looks like the wheel isn't sitting flush to the hub.

And, yeah, longer studs if I'm wrong.

Glad I'm in the stupid question thread, can't beleive i didn't see that when I put these on.... Yup, the rear isn't sitting flush, the brake drum retainer nut is in the way...

And I thought this would be easy, Rolling Eyes . I'll have to figure out how eveyone else did this. Good eye KentPS thank you!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Remove the little bolts that hold the brake drum to the hub, they aren't needed as it is the lugs nuts that do the real work of locking the assembly together.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Remove the little bolts that hold the brake drum to the hub, they aren't needed as it is the lugs nuts that do the real work of locking the assembly together.

You answered my next question before I could ask it. Thank you Very Happy
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alright guys, I feel like this might be the stupidest of stupid questions, but the Muir book says that the fan belt deflection on a type 1 style engine should be between a half and three-quarters of an inch. That sounds way loose to me.

Is that really right?

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
Alright guys, I feel like this might be the stupidest of stupid questions, but the Muir book says that the fan belt deflection on a type 1 style engine should be between a half and three-quarters of an inch. That sounds way loose to me.

Is that really right?

Sounds about right if you are pushing really hard.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Colin runs his at least that loose and claims not to experience any problems doing so.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alright. I'm getting some whine/squeak back there and the belt looked a little wiggly.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My stupid question for today...

Will early (68-70) drum spindles fit later (71-79) ball joint arms? I'm looking at a front end that currently uses the later front spindles... but I'd love to retain my relatively new Wagenswest brakes fitted to the current drum brake spindles.

Is it possible?
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My accelerator cable snapped at the front. I have a swapped v6 cologne engine and the PO it seems has rerouted the cable to line up with the carb.

Stupid question:

I pulled the old cable out after it was disconnected from the carb, when I put the new cable through it comes out somewhere above the transaxel is this normal and should it be exposed until it reaches closer to the engine? It did have a tube near the gas tank but it was not supported by anything.

I tried looking in the Bentley manual and I dont see a section about replacing the cable just adjusting. It does not show where it should route through that I can find.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
My accelerator cable snapped at the front. I have a swapped v6 cologne engine and the PO it seems has rerouted the cable to line up with the carb.

Stupid question:

I pulled the old cable out after it was disconnected from the carb, when I put the new cable through it comes out somewhere above the transaxel is this normal and should it be exposed until it reaches closer to the engine? It did have a tube near the gas tank but it was not supported by anything.

I tried looking in the Bentley manual and I dont see a section about replacing the cable just adjusting. It does not show where it should route through that I can find.

You don't mention what year your bus is, but most used a variation of king sized bicycle brake cable sleeve as a guide tube over the transmission. Since you have a conversion I doubt any OG part will "bolt in", luckily PEX water tubing for ice makers (Home depot, ~3/8" dia?) is the perfect size to slip over the end of the body tube and is slippery inside so it makes an ideal guide tube that you can customize to your needs.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It’s a 1979 yes from the looks I’ll have to make a new tube for it possibly
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
... the Muir book says that the fan belt deflection on a type 1 style engine should be between a half and three-quarters of an inch. That sounds way loose to me.

VW came out with a different belt in 1970 or so, and the spec for that was 3/8" flex, with a measured force pushing on the belt.
Nowadays the damn belts are made in India and/or China, so who knows what you might get.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8160236#8160236

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:
... the Muir book says that the fan belt deflection on a type 1 style engine should be between a half and three-quarters of an inch. That sounds way loose to me.

VW came out with a different belt in 1970 or so, and the spec for that was 3/8" flex, with a measured force pushing on the belt.
Nowadays the damn belts are made in India and/or China, so who knows what you might get.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8160236#8160236

Fair point! And I checked deflection the other day and it's definitely closer to this 3/8" number. Today I check to see if the bearing in the generator is going and if the shaft has any wiggle.

secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Intermittent Wiper Relay Location Reply with quote

Good Morning,

I've searched high and low in the forums this morning. I learned a lot - and skimmed a bunch of stuff I didn't need.

It's a stock 1978 Champagne Edition II

Does anyone know where the intermittent wiper relay goes under the fuse box?

I think the relay order from Left to Right is:

Flasher
Headlights
Empty Spot
Buzzer
Empty spot

Am I wrong? Where does the wiper relay go?

I just got everything in the dash working except the wipers, so I don't really want to remove the fuse box and trace all the wires and risk messing up the work I've already done.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Wiper Relay Location Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Good Morning,

I've searched high and low in the forums this morning. I learned a lot - and skimmed a bunch of stuff I didn't need.

It's a stock 1978 Champagne Edition II

Does anyone know where the intermittent wiper relay goes under the fuse box?

I think the relay order from Left to Right is:

Flasher
Headlights
Empty Spot
Buzzer
Empty spot

Am I wrong? Where does the wiper relay go?

I just got everything in the dash working except the wipers, so I don't really want to remove the fuse box and trace all the wires and risk messing up the work I've already done.

I have never heard of an intermittent wiper relay for this rigs. At one point German Supply was thinking of making an easy to install intermittent wiper kit, but I don't know if it ever came onto the market. All you have to control the wipers is the wiper switch and the wiper motor, the X circuit on the ignition switch also has to be supplying power.

See Current Tracks #16 thru 18. Double click to enlarge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 421, 422, 423 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 422 of 515

Jump to: