Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint for floor pan
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

What do others use to paint the floor pans presumably using a rust converting primer so the rust doesn't have to be cleaned to bare metal.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

I used Rust Bullet paint with Metal Blast cleaner, great products. Painted pans on both sides of 69 Beetle and 74 Thing, used foam roller and brush.
Research it, I think it is much better than POR15, it's VU stable. Also painted the load floor at the rear and under the gas tank / front wall.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

I use Ospho, then some self etching primer & then some roll-on bedliner.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bigbussur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

Etching primer and this stuff, have had good luck with it and they can color it for you.
http://monstaliner.com/
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

bigbussur wrote:
Etching primer and this stuff, have had good luck with it and they can color it for you.
http://monstaliner.com/

That is what I'm going to use on my pan. Do you have any pictures? Did you do both sides? Any tips?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

Just painted a plow truck frame and flat bed with Chassis Saver paint, made by same company, (Magnet), will respond after winter/salt season!!!
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crosis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

You will get best results from rust bullet. I have coated chassis and pickup beds with it. No rust after that.
ZENAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

Hi. Which rust bullet product do y’all recommend and where do you get it. I googled rust bullet and got several results. I also live in a “third world state” (Alaska) so shipping flammable chemicals is impossible, so I was hopping this was a Lowes, Napa, carquest, etc product. I tried calling around, but the kids who sell auto paint at the local stores can barely read the can much less give a recommendation.

Thank you in advance.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for floor pan Reply with quote

I used the automotive formula on three VW's , Beetle, Bus. and Thing works great.
Use Metal Blast first then 2 coats of Rust Bullet and your good.
I haven't seen any rust yet.

https://www.rustbullet.com/
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: