Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AS control valve solenoid issue
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: AS control valve solenoid issue Reply with quote

As you can see in the pic, the 12v supply connector tab broke off. What is the best way to rectify this?

Solder the wire to the copper tab?
Drill and tap a screw for a ring connector?
Rebuild / replace the solenoid?
Replace the entire valve?

Parts for this are impossible to find and the valve works fine. I’d rather not replace the entire unit.

I could really use a source for a new solenoid.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: AS control valve solenoid issue Reply with quote

I would try the solder method first, I think you would trash the coil if you tried to drill it.

If that doesn't work, PM me, I may know a guy that may have one.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: AS control valve solenoid issue Reply with quote

I think BugCity.com might have a CV in case things don't work out... not sure of cost tho
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: AS control valve solenoid issue Reply with quote

I think what I would do is buy a package of similar sized spade connectors, and then create a short (perhaps 1" long) insulated stranded copper lead wire (12 guage sounds about right) with a male spade connector on one end, and a short length (say maybe 3/8" long) of bare wire at the other end.
Solder the bare end of that new lead wire to the metal where the old male spade connector broke off, and then you can simply plug the female spade connector of your vehicle's wiring harness right onto the male spade connector of the lead wire.

If you're not too familiar with soldering electrical connections, here's a step by step walk through ...
- Thoroughly clean off the bit of metal left where the tab broke off, and put a dab of paste flux on it
- Touch the hot soldering iron tip to the metal with one hand, and when the paste flux melts use your other hand to also touch the metal immediately adjacent to the soldering iron tip with some thin-ish wire solder (preferably 60/40 rosin core).
NOTE - Try not to touch the soldering iron tip directly with the wire solder, as that could create a cold solder joint. You want the metal itself to become hot enough for the solder to begin to flow to insure proper adhesion between the metal and solder.
- Once the wire solder begins to flow and cover the surface of the metal, remove both the soldering iron and the wire solder from the metal.
NOTE - The goal is to just "tin" the surface of the metal with a nice coating of solder, and not to create a giant blob of solder there.
- Moving now to the new short little lead wire that you've already created, dab a bit of paste flux onto that very short section of bare copper wire at the one end.
- Using the same techniques described above, carefully "tin" the wire with a thin coating of solder.
NOTE - Again, you don't want to create a big blob of sloder on the bare wire. Coat it with just enough solder so that you can no longer see the individual strands of the wire.
- Add a dab more paste flux onto both the tinned metal on the solenoid, and also the tinned end of the lead wire.
- Lay the end of the lead wire flat against the surface of the metal area on the solenoid with one hand, and use the other hand to touch the tip of the hot soldering iron to both the metal area and the lead wire end at the same time.
- As soon as the solder melts and flows across both surfaces, pull the soldering iron hand away but be sure to keep holding the end of the lead wire against the metal surface on the solenoid until the solder cools enough to solidify again.
- Clean off the paste flux residue with rubbing alcohol, plug your vehicle's wiring harness onto the newly created lead wire, test the functionality of your solenoid, and if all is good break out the other kind of alcohol (the "drinking" type - NOT the "rubbing" type) and celebrate a job well done.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: AS control valve solenoid issue Reply with quote

I'd pull it apart and resolder. Keep the heat away from the diaphragms.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: AS control valve solenoid issue Reply with quote

Cold solder may be an answer.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: