Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Too TALL battery
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Too TALL battery Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
dobryan wrote:
When you go to NAPA ask them if they can load test your battery. Most places can do that. You'll likely need to bring your battery into the counter. The load test should give you a good indication of the state of the battery.

OK, i'll just plop it into my back pack before I cycle the 5 miles down there Shocked Laughing

I’ve done that. Put it in a garbage bag ,too.

If it’s a 80 amp hour battery, you need 24 hours on a 10 amp charger, about 3x the 10 amps x 8 hours nominal rating, as the battery doesn’t Accept charge last a constant rate.

Ed, you just need a trickle charger of 1 amp or so to keep that battery good, don’t overthink.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Too TALL battery Reply with quote

I don't have a battery maintainer - so I am getting my Mom to tickle charge it once a month. But THIS time I will make sure she takes it OFF the charger after 3 hours. Last time she forgot to take it off the charger and the battery fried.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Too TALL battery Reply with quote

A $10 timer to just run it for An hour a day will work too.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Too TALL battery Reply with quote

aha... that's a good idea!
My Mom's 83 now so probably in another 10 years I'll have to go that route Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Too TALL battery Reply with quote

I let my starting batteries sit for 6 months at a time and just removing the negative cable seems to work well enough. They always have enough charge to crank the engine when the car it put back into service.

Deep cycle batteries may leak off charge faster than starting batteries do.

I typically remove the battery from the car or truck so that if I don't get back to using it after six months the long sitting battery doesn't turn the battery tray into a fuzzy mess. Depending on your circumstance removing the battery from the rig may make charging easier as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: