Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Many years and flame wars later, crickets. Not that I'm a fan of hacking vintage cars, but I do admire the balls it takes to finish this kind of project.
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
haven't seen anything in a while, but here is the photobucket link http://s873.photobucket.com/user/rockymountainwesty/Splitzgauer/story

Thank you for the URL. I really like this built and bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

volkswouter wrote:
mandraks wrote:
haven't seen anything in a while, but here is the photobucket link http://s873.photobucket.com/user/rockymountainwesty/Splitzgauer/story

Thank you for the URL. I really like this built and bus!

It is not named appropriately or accurately.
It is less a true 4x4 splitty than a Brazilian bus with a roof clip is a true 23 window.

Can it get a name adjustment, please?
To something like "building a 4x4 splitty?"
japio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

It is True 4x4 and a Splitty, so title seems correct to me... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

For Fucksakes Clara, Give it a rest already!!!
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Why would anyone care what someone else their project?? Think Think Think

If it makes you feel any better,
It's "A true 4x4 Splitty" not "A true Splitty 4x4"..

To be even more technically correct, there was never a vehicle from VW called a 'Splitty' specifically.

Maybe this will help you accept what our OP decided to name his thread?

What’s That Noise?!?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

I'd settle for seeing a thesamba hosted picture or three of this rig.. I hate what photobucket does to the pictures. Makes me want to barf..

Any project has its set of sins.

Nobody can ever get it exactly how it was delivered off the Factory floor. AND, if you did, somebody would point out that the doors didn't hang quite right anyway, even thought they didn't straight from the factory!

-bobby
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

japio wrote:

Are you going to claim that a DD 23 made from a panelvan is a true DD 23?
Sounds like it.
And you see nothing with someone claiming it as a real DD 23?

Read the thread about the guy who bought what he thought was a real 59 samba. The word "fraud" was used.

Plenty of people are happy to own that they buildt a non-samba into a samba.
Grumpy's proudly proclaims you can drive in a 13 and drive out a 21.
Some people don't care if their ragtop bus was that way from the factory or not, they just want a sunroof and those little skylight windows! Fair enough.
People often add options, like safari windows. Or gauges, etc.
Sometimes people call it a 'dream' build, when they build a bus with the options they wish the bus had, that they wish they could find a bus with.

Claiming, or even implying, that the 'made' 21 (or fake 4x4, or whatever was created) was original is dishonest.
Yes, generally a real/factory/true 21 (or whatever) is cooler/ more desirable/ more valuable than a dream/'made'/created/fake/tribute/ clone one. There's the temptation to claim it as real. This is not unique to VWs.
https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/replica-vs-real/
https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/posers-and-fake-shelbys.11615/

Using the word 'true' implies it is a factory build. But it truely is not. It is just a build.
It would be a cooler build if they didn't say it was something it isn't. Bummer about that
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
japio wrote:

Sounds like it.

Read the thread about the guy who bought what he thought was a real 59 samba. The word "fraud" was used.

Some people don't care if their ragtop bus was that way from the factory or not, they just want a sunroof and those little skylight windows! Fair enough.
Sometimes people call it a 'dream' build, when they build a bus with the options they wish the bus had, that they wish they could find a bus with.

Claiming, or even implying, that the 'made' 21 (or fake 4x4, or whatever was created) was original is dishonest.
Yes, generally a real/factory/true 21 (or whatever) is cooler/ more desirable/ more valuable than a dream/'made'/created/fake/tribute/ clone one. There's the temptation to claim it as real. This is not unique to VWs.

Using the word 'true' implies it is a factory build. But it truely is not. It is just a build.
It would be a cooler build if they didn't say it was something it isn't. Bummer about that

You’re correct in that this isn’t one of the factory made prototype 4x4 vw split buses, therefore it could be argued it isn’t a “true” 4x4 “splitty”.

On the other hand, comparing it to the infamous, fake, $125k 59 23w isn’t a very good comparison. That 59 was created with only one purpose, to get rolled across an auction block represented as genuine, and defraud bidders.

This 4x4 “splitty” wasn’t /isn’t being built to defraud anyone.
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
japio wrote:

Sounds like it.

Yikes.
I don't think the builder is trying to mislead anyone here.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Without getting involved in the current rhetoric in this thread...I really just want to see this thread updated and see a video of this thing off road. Albeit an unconventional build, I was always drawn to it because of the ingenuity of the builder.
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Without getting involved in the current rhetoric in this thread...I really just want to see this thread updated and see a video of this thing off road. Albeit an unconventional build, I was always drawn to it because of the ingenuity of the builder.

Wait... your claim to be a 1974 Splitty? You know., in 1974... Very Happy Very Happy

I'm just teasing. I'm totally with you. I'd love to see an update to this thread as well. I just love the idea of a split bus and a Pinzgauer having a love child. To each their own. Let's focus on the creativity of someone building their vehicle how THEY want it.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:

You’re correct in that this isn’t one of the factory made prototype 4x4 vw split buses, therefore it isn’t a “true” 4x4 “splitty”.

FIFW
Quote:

On the other hand, comparing it to the infamous, fake, $125k 59 23w isn’t a very good comparison. That 59 was created with only one purpose, to get rolled across an auction block represented as genuine, and defraud bidders.

This 4x4 “splitty” wasn’t /isn’t being built to defraud anyone.

I don't know if that 59 was turned into a 23 to defraud someone. Maybe so.
Maybe it was built because some one just wanted a 23.
Could be someone else later sold it under false pretenses. You think that doesn't happen?

Funny to see you on that side of the debate.

Culito wrote:
Yikes.
I don't think the builder is trying to mislead anyone here.

I got the impression he was.
If he wasn't trying to mislead anyone, he would not have titled the build thread misleadingly. He wouldn't have been defensive about it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
If he wasn't trying to mislead anyone, he would not have titled the build thread misleadingly. He wouldn't have been defensive about it.

Bullshit. Most anyone would have taken offense. Im getting defensive right now just because my impressions of this build are different than yours. You are accusing a negative connotation on this guys build. Do you think its supposed to be accepted with flowers and open arms? Im triggered by seeing "Spitty1974" for christ sake Rolling Eyes Laughing

So did they ever build a Split window era 4X4 prototype? Any kind of concept? Or is it purely a mid Bay era thing? (this is the part of my pos that will be overlooked) Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Good grief woman, let it go. It's only a name
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Just an FYI, my username here has nothing to do with a VW Bus. The Spitty, is short for my last name, and 1974 is the year I was born. Very Happy I'm not even sure why my post caused any anguish; I'm totally confused.

At any point, carry on!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Just an FYI, my username here has nothing to do with a VW Bus. The Spitty, is short for my last name, and 1974 is the year I was born. Very Happy I'm not even sure why my post caused any anguish; I'm totally confused.

At any point, carry on!

Laughing Laughing I was definitely joking. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

If there was ever a thread that deserved to get locked.... Rolling Eyes
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
If there was ever a thread that deserved to get locked.... Rolling Eyes

Maybe, but this shit is funny.

chrisflstf wrote:
Good grief woman, let it go. It's only a name

I for one, am hoping the build is still ongoing, or at least still in the plans and set aside until more time/money/resources become available.

The only real letdown would be if it sits unfinished and gets parted out.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Splitzgauer, A true 4x4 Splitty. Reply with quote

I'd like to see it finished as well, but I do not think it belongs in the "split bus" section. The chassis is a Pinzgauer, so it no longer is a VW. Don't get me wrong, I do love a Pinzy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: