Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seals effecting door alignment
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
censor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Seals effecting door alignment Reply with quote

I changed out all the window seals on my '67 SC over the past couple of weekends. I did the driver's side first and afterward I noticed I had to lift the door to close it. It's always had a little bit of "sag" but now it has much more. So I thought I bent the hinges or something. So when I did the passenger side yesterday, I was extra careful to put as little pressure on the door as possible when reinstalling the window unit into the door. But it has the same problem.

So did I bend the hinges on both sides? Or is it normal to have new seals effecting door alignment like this?

Is there a way to adjust the door to compensate for this new amount of "sag"? Wolfsburg mentioned adjusting the hinges maybe...?

Thanks.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Seals effecting door alignment Reply with quote

Yes. The four screws that hold the hinge in the body are adjustable. The captive nut portion is a plate that is (or was) floating until tightened. You can loosen the screws a bit then tap the screw driver with a hammer to free up the floating plate. The amount of tapping and the size of the hammer depend on how stuck it is. Level of skill and amount of luck may come into play also.

Others may have more input on how, as my nose was cut off and all that stuff was dealt with at that time.

Good luck, Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
censor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Seals effecting door alignment Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, the bottom hinge needs to move towards the rear of the vehicle to move the door handle side up towards the top of the vehicle- thereby fixing the sag. How would I accomplish that with the hinges?
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Seals effecting door alignment Reply with quote

censor wrote:
If I understand correctly, the bottom hinge needs to move towards the rear of the vehicle to move the door handle side up towards the top of the vehicle- thereby fixing the sag. How would I accomplish that with the hinges?

I have only been able to accomplish that with a couple of shims under the bottom hinge.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals effecting door alignment Reply with quote

censor wrote:

Ahh... thought the door was outwards from new seal.

Depending on the shape of your bus?... I have seen this done with a 2"x6" between the door opening and the bottom of the nearly closed door (8" - 10" open). Then an abrupt lifting action. A little tweak at the hinge end adds up to a good bit at the striker end.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals effecting door alignment Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
censor wrote:

I have only been able to accomplish that with a couple of shims under the bottom hinge.

I've seen this posted and mentioned in person too by people that said it worked.

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
censor wrote:

Ahh... thought the door was outwards from new seal.

Depending on the shape of your bus?... I have seen this done with a 2"x6" between the door opening and the bottom of the nearly closed door (8" - 10" open). Then an abrupt lifting action. A little tweak at the hinge end adds up to a good bit at the striker end.

I did this on my '63 driver's door as I knew it had sagged from age.
Worked great.

I've also aligned a couple driver's doors by smacking the hinges forward or back but I could tell the hinge was off by comparing it against a correctly-aligned passenger side.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: