Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

This is a double post FYI moderators, I also posed this question in the “what tires fit” sticky in this forum and plan to ask the EuroVan forum as well (that would make it a triple post).

Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires?

https://www.nokiantires.com/company/news-article/n...ability-2/

The load ratings numbers are incredibly high, especially on the “Cargo” version.
I stumbled onto these while shopping for my 2002 Eurovan powered Winnebago Vista that needs new tires due to age, not tread wear.

“Van” version in the size I’m looking for.
205/65R16 C 107/105T
up to 118 mph, max load 2150 lb

“Cargo” version in my size (nearly) and larger that I may bite on for the rear because I can fit them and it won’t screw up my particular situation.
205/75R16 C 113/111S
up to 112 mph, max load 2540 lb

215/75R16 C 116/114S
up to 112 mph, max load 2760 lb

225/65R16 C 112/110T
up to 118 mph, max load 2470 lb

225/75R16 C 121/120R
up to 106 mph, max load 3200 lb

Brian

PS I also own a 1991 tin top that needs the front two 185R14’s replaced and the “Van” version is available in that size.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

I went through two sets of Nokian C-line van tires, 205 70 15 size.

They would separate after about 5000 miles. The separations would cause humps in the tire which would result in unpleasant ride quality.

Then I tried Nokian entyre in the same size--and had the same problem.

Now I'm using Continental Vanco 4 season, slightly smaller (195 70 15) and they are great.

I would not buy Nokians again.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

I purchased a set in Grants Pass Oregon.

They are squirrelly on open grate bridges and they wore horribly!

They have since been replaced after about 10,000 miles.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

Four pages (kinda sorta...at least the thread is titled that) on the WRC3 tire (commercial van all weather tire) here. I have close to two years and 20+ K on them (215/65 R16) and I like them. They're a D rated (8-ply) tire and are quite stable. They're noisier than the WRG3 car tire (which also has a high load rating) but are wearing better. This is my third set of Nokian all-weather tires and I like them. My next set will likely be the Rotiva AT.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

I also went with the WRC3 as it was the only 205/65R15 truck tire on the market with the three-peak mountain snowflake certification. No problems so far about a year and half in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

x3 on the WRC3 tire. They've been solid for the 5k miles I have on them. Did a trip with over 100 miles of gravel/dirt and they performed well. 205-70R15.

I have had the Entyre on my van as well. It was a great 3-season tire that was quiet and provided the best MPG I've had. 20k miles w/o issue and only switched to get a better tire for off road.

I'm a big Nokian fan. Honda Fit, Subaru Outback, and my van all have them.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I went through two sets of Nokian C-line van tires, 205 70 15 size.

They would separate after about 5000 miles. The separations would cause humps in the tire which would result in unpleasant ride quality.

Then I tried Nokian entyre in the same size--and had the same problem.

Now I'm using Continental Vanco 4 season, slightly smaller (195 70 15) and they are great.

I would not buy Nokians again.

kourt

I wanted to choose Nokians, but knowing two people who had sidewall failures with them, besides other web/forum posts duplicating what they experienced, I just could not pull the trigger.
I've had them in the past as snow tires on cars and had no problem, but that was a couple of decades ago.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

I've had them in the past as snow tires on cars and had no problem, but that was a couple of decades ago.

Probably before they started making them in Russia!! Shocked
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

I had the WRG3 tires and they wore down so fast (about 10,000 miles) that the shop where I bought them took them back and gave me 1/2 off a set of the WRC3. What a difference! I find them to actually be much more quiet than the G3's and overall the ride quality is great. I installed the T3 heavy duty sway bar a couple of weeks after the new tires and the combination of the two is the single best improvement I've made to my van's ride quality.
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

I have Wrc3 's for about 8000 miles now . I drove to Arizona and back in all kinds of weather including a 60mph sand storm. Tires worked fine in fact probably the most stable I have ever had. the two notes I do have is I had to let a lot of air out on some long wash board gravel roads . The stiff sidewalls really rattled the van. The second thing is I use 3m 303 protectorant as I have heard that they may be susceptible to sun rot. In all after 8000 miles they still look new and show very litte wear.
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

I have the C-Line Van tires 205 65 15 on my 94 EV GLS and they are excellent so far; three summers. Super quiet, nice ride, wear is decent so far, excellent in the rain. I don't do much high speed driving and the van is rarely loaded with anything more than three people so maybe I am an outlier here. It took a while to get used to the steering though as they tend to turn quicker.

I too have had issues with Nokians in the past coming apart and the dismal ride quality/noise from the Entyre 2's on my Jetta so I was skeptical before buying the C-lines's. Now that I have had them for a while I would buy again, much better than the Michelin Agilis though I consider the C-line to be a summer only tire.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Nokian “cLine” “Van” or “Cargo” tires? Reply with quote

I have three seasons (winter only) on c-line haukupalugis (my spelling) with no issue, They are studded. But I don't drive far or fast on them and the van is mostly a weekend vehicle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: