Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition cylinder removal help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Ignition cylinder removal help Reply with quote

Having problems with the lock cylinder on my '91, but can not get it to pull out like it should. The key has a grating feel when turned, but does turn. The release hole was drilled years ago and has always worked before. I can feel the spring push in as I apply force to it, but something is keeping the switch from coming out. It has probably been a good 15 years since the lock cylinder was last removed, but everything seems clean enough. Guess I can squirt so oil into the release hole and see if that will work.

Open to ideas.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition cylinder removal help Reply with quote

Any chance the key isn’t pulling the tumblers fully in due to wear in the tumblers and the key itself?
Do you have another key to try?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition cylinder removal help Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Any chance the key isn’t pulling the tumblers fully in due to wear in the tumblers and the key itself?
Do you have another key to try?

I can certainly inspect the key to see if it was somehow damaged, it was working just fine previously to this though.

Think I might reshape a nut pick to use in the release hole. Maybe if I can apply pressure off to one side of the spring clip (verses in the middle) it will allow the cylinder to come out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: