Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

on 1600 dual port type1 with intake manifold off should I see pooling in both ports . I am not firing on cylinders 1 & 2 . should oil from the push rod tubes be filling this area . Sorry im new to vw and not sure what I should see. Any help?
Ovals82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Valve seals are leaking
Ovals82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Or cracked head
LarryQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Thanks for update . I was afraid of this will check on seals . then might pull head .
Thanks for help.
Ovals82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Pull the valve cover and look for cracks the oil is coming from valve cover side
LarryQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Thismight have started after changing valve covers to screw on type . to stop oil dripping on my exhaust pipe , I was seeing blue smoke on this side . maybe I did this but don't think so but will start there.
thanks
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Ovals82 wrote:
Valve seals are leaking

Very occasionally have I even see seals fitted.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Stock carburation? Are you sure it's oil? I saw that recently when removing a brand new set of junk Empi twin carbs, big fuel puddles in all 4 ports.

Start with a compression test on all 4.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Oil pooling is normal, within reason. There are no seals. The intake vacuum pulls some oil through the guide to valve clearance.
LarryQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

The second picture is what I'm seeing . I am running dual Kadrons and the one on cyl 1&2 side I was not able to adj. . After a rebuild see could not adj. rebuild again still cant adj. .Noticed that head was cool and carb was very cold. that's when I pulled intake manifold off and see this pooling. I had about 110 lbs compression on 1&2 and same on other side. So maybe the pooling is ok and I still have a carb problem or a vacuum leak on that side, Thanks for the picture I had no idea that gas and oil would sit there .I will try to swap manifolds and carbs,
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Are you sur 1 and 2 aren't firing because of carburation? Sure it's not a spark issue?
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

What does "can't adjust" mean?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
LarryQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

So as I said when I try to adj. idle jet in carb it does nothing. I can screw jet all the way in and still runs. But as I noticed the carb on cyl. 1&2 side is very cold to touch and head and exhaust are both cool. Other side carb adj. just fine. I pulled the intake manifold thinking I had a bad vacuum leak . but when I removed intake gasket was fine and showed no sign of leak. I have picture of head intake shows oil pooling ang looks like valve guides are there .As I said this side was blowing a lot of smoke ,looked blue when driving. still trying to get photos into gallery.

LarryQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Ok got photo posted. It seems that maybe I was wrong about pooling ,this maybe ok. If so it's time to go back and start rechecking.
About 3 weeks ago changed to new screw on valve covers. at that time had about 110 lbs compression all cyl. I did adj. valves to .006 at that time. seemed running ok but ruff idle. went to recheck all valves and found #3 intake had broken spring. I changed spring while head still on block, rechecked all valves .still runs ruff. hooked up tach to adj. carbs found the one on 12 side cant adj. checked for vacuum leaks did not find any ,pulled Kadron carb and rebuilt. Still same cant adj. idle , no leaks found . pulled carb again soaked for 2 days and recheck all carb . put back on and still can not adj. idle this side . that's when I pulled carb with intake manifold looking for vacuum leak. No leak and gasket was fine. I did not check for spark when I found cyl. 1&2 side of engine was very cold .So back to drawing board. Will check spark, and recheck that I was on correct timing when I did valves.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Check your balance tube, maybe try blocking off. I dont like the way that one guide looks in the head. Head looks chipped.
LarryQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Well here is latest as I go down the rabbit hole.
Decided I needed a clean starting point. So put new gaskets on removed intake manifold and put same rebuilt card back to cyl. 1&2 side.
Started engine and starts right up. but looping . main idle screw to keep running ,let warm up a little . idle adj on cyl.1&2 still makes no difference .
I took a electronic temp tool and found that had almost no heat on cyl1 &2 side . middle of carb at throttle asm shoewd 45 deg. was 75 on 3&4 side. checked exhaust and 1&2 was barley 100 deg and just under 500 on 3&4.
So killed engine while waiting to cool. relaced plugs fo 1&2 ,new spark plugs .Replaced dist cap and rotor ,replaced wires to 1&2. when cool readjust valves for1&2 seemed a little tight now .006 goes .008 wont go.
starts right up again . still no adj from cyl 1&2 carb but new carb shows almost same no. as other side , but exhaust shows close to 500 on 3&4 but now get about 140 on #1 and 235 on #2. not sure what that is telling me.
LarryQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: intake ports full of gas and oil .should i see any pooling in Reply with quote

Well new update . Went to swap carbs , Found the good carb on cyl. 3&4 was so full of fuel . Looks like float is not working and fuel keeps running through carb . will rebuild and see what happens. waiting on rebuild kit.
Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: