Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I believe the Bug and Ghia (and Type 3) all use the same box. If your mechanic can't get one, find a new mechanic.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

So after all of this and it is awesome info SHOULD one decide to rebuild...what is the best purchased box for a T-3? Some of us do not have the time to rebuild one and however do need a good unit.Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I don't think there are any other than TRW and the even crappier Chinese ones out there.

Sometimes Tim has a classified ad up for one that he rebuilt, that would be your best bet if you don't want to or can't rebuild your own.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

monikober wrote:
Where can I find a steering gear box for a 1971 Karmann Ghia. My mechanic said no TRW......Help

Any reason why you can not use 113415061C ?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Maybe I've missed it, but can someone tell me what type of lubricant to put into the box? Mine appears to be leaking, original on my Ghia, so I will likely have to replace the gasket(s). Will then need to re-lube, so if anyone can "steer me" onto the right product, would be appreciated.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

CORN HEAD GREASE, BABAY!! Whoo Hoo!!

Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

What’s That Noise?!?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Damn bro, a little early to be lickerd up!!! Though a little corn liquor would be good on a Friday!

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Be sure to thoroughly clean out all old grease and replace with
John Deere Corn Head Grease.

such as:
https://smile.amazon.com/John-Deere-Corn-Grease-14...amp;sr=8-3

or available from your local John Deere dealer.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Back out on the street; they won’t renew my lease.
My landlady stepped in corn head grease!

Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I never heard of Corn Head Grease before, so thought it was a joke, now that I see it online, will be ordering soon. Thanks again.

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Okay, I'm finally back at it!

Installed the adjust screw with CORN HEAD grease. No vertical play, but just a bit of drag. I'd compare it to when you adjust your valves, but slightly tighter. Hope that's to spec.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shim in place. I just guessed here as I didn't have much to go on. More on this later.

New worm gear being built up with new bearings.

Worm gear assembled and in the box housing.

Lower race in place and centered just right.

Whole assembly pressed into place.

And adjusted to have a slightly rough turn and locked in place

Drop arm installed.

No more assembly pictures. Once you start filling with grease it's a messy job and I was trying to keep my phone relatively clean. But, I dropped the roller gear into place and installed a new seal. Fully assembled box.

Now, Tim, this is where I could use your help. I was struggling with the fine tuning. I made an 11 degree template to check my shim, but without any special VW tools I'm not sure I got it perfect. What do you suggest I do to verify everything is to spec. now that I have it all put together?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

The maximum no-play zone works out to be a 1/2 turn left to a 1/2 turn right. Minimum of 1/3 turn left to a 1/3 right.
To say another way:
(CP means center point)
drop arm wiggle---|<-1/2 turn left-CP-1/2 turn right-> |---drop arm wiggle
---------------------|-----no drop arm wiggle in here-----|---------------------

If the top adjuster screw is to tight, then it will be hard to turn through the center point.

If the shim is incorrect, then the no wiggle zone will be offset to one side or the other. Example: you turn 1/4 turn right and you get wiggle, but you turn 3/4 left before you get wiggle. For this example you need a thinner shim.

You proceeded correctly, start with the thick shim and work your way thinner.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Thank you!
Can you define wiggle? It seems difficult to turn the drop arm by hand. If I use the end of the worm gear it's much easier. Of course this is with the box not bolted to anything and just floating free. I could attach it to my beam if you think that would be necessary?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Yes, you use the worm shaft to turn. But at any position that you turn to, can you feel a very small wiggle in the drop arm? If not, then the adjustment screw is already to tight. Back off the adjustment screw until you can feel the wiggle in the drop arm at any given position. Then adjust to get to what I described in the previous post.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Ah, okay. I have a very slight wiggle no matter where the drop arm is. It's like 1/2-1 millimeter or so. I'll do some adjusting this weekend and see what I come up with. Thanks!

1966 Beetle
13mmSpanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

@OKType3Tim

Are you still selling your kits? I'd like to purchase one but the 'ad' on Samba is 'is currently inactive'?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Please.....not to be confused with "corn hole " grease....thats a Bevis and Butthead product....Wink
Ray
WindRyder06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

I would like to buy one of your kits. The ad is not up on the forum.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

Regarding Kits:
Three years ago I expended the effort and $ to have custom shims manufactured, custom gaskets manufactured, found/purchased plugs, purchased quality seals, found someone who found someone who located a box of NOS bearings in the back of a warehouse somewhere in Europe that I could purchase. Enough that I was able to create 100 kits.

It has been a effort of love, but not profit; and I am glad to have done my part.

Now as Mario says in his ads:
Quote:
"NOTE: Buy rare stuff if it's available, not if you are in need of..."

Going forward, if I was to recreate the effort; I would have to have commitments in advance. As a retiree, laying out that many $ to sit around on a shelf for 3 years just can't be done in my case.

Thank you to all who did purchase and thus, have been able to keep their units in good working order. I've enjoyed working with you on this.

And...as always, thoughts and comments are welcome.

Tim
Grego in Sac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Boxes: VW vs. TRW; VW Teardown & Rebuild Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:
Regarding Kits:
Three years ago I expended the effort and $ to have custom shims manufactured, custom gaskets manufactured, found/purchased plugs, purchased quality seals, found someone who found someone who located a box of NOS bearings in the back of a warehouse somewhere in Europe that I could purchase. Enough that I was able to create 100 kits.

It has been a effort of love, but not profit; and I am glad to have done my part.

Now as Mario says in his ads:
Quote:
"NOTE: Buy rare stuff if it's available, not if you are in need of..."

Going forward, if I was to recreate the effort; I would have to have commitments in advance. As a retiree, laying out that many $ to sit around on a shelf for 3 years just can't be done in my case.

Thank you to all who did purchase and thus, have been able to keep their units in good working order. I've enjoyed working with you on this.

And...as always, thoughts and comments are welcome.

Tim

Thank you Tim for all the effort and time you put into this, unfortunately it seems like I am late to the party!
It looks like I can source the seals and top gasket from a vender but would like to know if there is a source for the bearings?
The shims will be another matter but I’m hoping that since my steering box is still tight and just leaking that the internals will still be good enough to reuse and be with in spec.

Again thanks for the very long thread and tons of info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 24

Jump to: