Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 bus with 2007cc engine. Best Carbs?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday update:
A samba member has sold us his better used 40 DRLA's so that issue has been resolved. Now, here's my next question. I'm running a stock engine driven fuel pump and I think I'm going to have to install a fuel pressure regulator to reduce the pressure down to around 2 1/2 psi if I'm not mistaken. I'd also like to install a fixed fuel pressure gauge just because I think it would be useful as well as look bitchin. If anyone has done this already to their type 1 engine would they please post some pics so I can get an idea of where to mount this stuff and the best way to plumb it? Your advice and help are greatly appreciated.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Thursday update:
A samba member has sold us his better used 40 DRLA's so that issue has been resolved. Now, here's my next question. I'm running a stock engine driven fuel pump and I think I'm going to have to install a fuel pressure regulator to reduce the pressure down to around 2 1/2 psi if I'm not mistaken. I'd also like to install a fixed fuel pressure gauge just because I think it would be useful as well as look bitchin. If anyone has done this already to their type 1 engine would they please post some pics so I can get an idea of where to mount this stuff and the best way to plumb it? Your advice and help are greatly appreciated.

There should be no need for a regulator if you have a decent pump (speak to yellowbeard, he's the resident pump guru) and as for a fuel pressure regulator, it's just another place for fuel to leak from IMHO.

If you must have one, get an inline adaptor for the gauge to screw into and mount it somewhere on shroud near the coil to avoid too many kinks in the fuel line. A couple of 'P' clips and some tek screws will do the job.

From the tech manual for Dells, fuel pressure can be up to 3 1/2 PSI, but it's best to aim for 3. Gaskets under the pump (but on top of the bakelite pedestal) is the VW way of doing it. If you need more than 3, you need a different pump!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the engine it's all going on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I guess shimming the pump would be the most straight forward way to reduce the pressure.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, just tee in a pressure gauge and then shim to get your desired fuel pressure (around 3lbs) then remove the gauge. Make sure the floats are set correctly before installing the carbs and make sure that the manifolds sit flat on the head and do not interfere with the cylinder tin or fan shroud. You may have to file or sand part of the manifold so it fits properly as well as modify the cylinder tin opening.

Also verify jetting-according to the CB book stock jetting on dual 40 DRLAs are 34 vents, 180 air, 140 mains, 60 idle, 35 accl pump jets.

Then just synch them up and check for vac leaks then adjust the mixture screws, synch up again and them make sure the linkage does not effect the synch and that both carbs open at the same time.
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
From the tech manual for Dells, fuel pressure can be up to 3 1/2 PSI, but it's best to aim for 3. Gaskets under the pump (but on top of the bakelite pedestal) is the VW way of doing it. If you need more than 3, you need a different pump!

Depends on which gaskets you're using. Most of the gaskets available today are pretty flimsy compared to what they used to be. And manufacturing variations in bakelite spacers and pushrods make the final number of shims required a total crapshoot.

For your application, any number between 2.75 and 3.5 psi should work fine. Don't get hung up on how many (or how few) shims it takes to get there.
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus with 2007cc engine. Best Carbs? Reply with quote

i'm starting a 2007 build, this thread has been really useful. i'm now leaning toward dell 40s... or 36s... or 40s...
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus with 2007cc engine. Best Carbs? Reply with quote

Here’s my suggestion. Buy the Weber kit with the good CB linkage from air cooled.net and pay the extra $80 for cleaning and jetting
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus with 2007cc engine. Best Carbs? Reply with quote

shipping to eu + swedish toll on top of the kit would probably kill me but that's one way to go for sure.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus with 2007cc engine. Best Carbs? Reply with quote

Ah, I didn't know that you were a foreigner. You probably have better access to Dellortos over there. They are great carburetors. It's just that Webers are still in production
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus with 2007cc engine. Best Carbs? Reply with quote

i'm a NOS fan. plenty of dells here, pretty good value too.

also found the cb kit over here at a couple of places. a mere 1000 USD... Shocked
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus with 2007cc engine. Best Carbs? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Here’s my suggestion. Buy the Weber kit with the good CB linkage from air cooled.net and pay the extra $80 for cleaning and jetting

Or just buy a kit straight from CB Performance that already has the linkage, and has been properly jetted and had the floats set.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: