Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have until May
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Thank you John. Appreciate the encouragement.

On another note. I have started the teardown and will need plenty of sheet metal. The one piece I can't find anything on is the tension cable slot in the back. Anyone know where I can source a new piece for this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I have not seen that part reproduced. If anyone knows it would be Chuck at www.chucksconvertibleparts.com.

You may have to make your own patch for that, or cut something off of a donor.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I have not seen that part reproduced. If anyone knows it would be Chuck at www.chucksconvertibleparts.com.

You may have to make your own patch for that, or cut something off of a donor.

Thanks, found it on the site!

https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/index.php/model...annel.html
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

libbie25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I got a feeling your wife is going to be tickled pink no matter what shape “her” car is in come her 50th birthday......and I hope when it comes to your 50th anniversary, as it will be with my bride and me come next October, you two take a long ride down memory lane!!
BTW, here’s our 76.....well I’m not sure how to do that, but you get the idea!!
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

libbie25 wrote:
I got a feeling your wife is going to be tickled pink no matter what shape “her” car is in come her 50th birthday......and I hope when it comes to your 50th anniversary, as it will be with my bride and me come next October, you two take a long ride down memory lane!!
BTW, here’s our 76.....well I’m not sure how to do that, but you get the idea!!

Congratulations on you anniversary, 50 years is amazing.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

More people are now doing these vert tops themselves than they did a few years ago. Samba threads and YouTube videos are available to help.

Pulling the engine? Or just paint and interior? And, new floor pans, right?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
More people are now doing these vert tops themselves than they did a few years ago. Samba threads and YouTube videos are available to help.

Pulling the engine? Or just paint and interior? And, new floor pans, right?

Engine and gearbox are coming out to be completely gone over. There are a few things in the bay that well be put back to original (airbox, intake runners, carb)

I am going back and forth about doing the top, I have watched a couple of videos on it and it doesn't look like rocket science.
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Please tell me what I am missing here.

I am just trying to remove the engine, there are a lot of misplaced bolts, missing bolts, broken bits, etc. The usual for an old car. However, I have not run into anything like this so I am not sure if it is a bug thing or a PO thing...

Taking the engine to gearbox nuts off to drop the engine I ran into this in the corner. I had to take apart a lot more than usual because of this strangeness. Everything I have looked up says no problem just remove the nut.

As you can see that is not a nut. The other side is the head of a bolt but the head can't be turned because it is up against a flat on the gearbox. Can't get a socket or a wrench on it.

I ended up grabbing onto this round nut with a pair of vice grips and turning it off. Which of course didn't get me anywhere because it broke as it is pressed into the flange and now I am stuck. Can't turn it from the gearbox side, can't turn a nut off of it and threads are still pressed into the engine flange.

Here you can see the threads that are still in there not allowing me to move anything.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

That nut is not supposed to be removed. You are to remove the bolt from the transmission side.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That nut is not supposed to be removed. You are to remove the bolt from the transmission side.

Bolt on transmission side cannot be turned as it is against a flat.....
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

It has to turn. Someone got it in there.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Yeah you are right..... guess I gotta keep digging.

Thank you for taking the time go give input. Much appreciated.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

meatness wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Yeah you are right..... guess I gotta keep digging.

Thank you for taking the time go give input. Much appreciated.

No worries. Have fun!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

The other upper bolt is designed to not turn - it's head is cut and it lays against the starter. But the driver side upper bolt is designed to turn. Access is difficult. The correct combination of extensions and ratchet arm usually provide that access.

Nice job getting the shroud off whilst the engine is in. I've never needed to do that, but it doesn't look easy.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

I have also learned that the husband's preference for surprise is more about the husband than the wife. Mine really enjoys the looking forward to it so that's how I roll as an old man. Makes for a shared experience and stronger partnership. Good stuff.

That round "nut" adventure reminds me about how many little quirks there are with these air cooled dubs compared to other cars and bikes I have played with over the years. Most rides are put together in an intuitive way but these have some twists that only a 1940's German engineer might anticipate. In the end I do believe it all makes perfect sense but getting there has involved some reference material to add to the wrenching.

Since you already have the skills to go deep you will enjoy the Volkswagen of America Official Service Manual Beetle and Karmann Ghia 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969. Five minutes of reference saves me two hours of guessing and broken parts. Here's an Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle-Karmann-Service-Manual/dp/0837616468

For pure fun most airheads have John Muir's How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot. It is a fun read providing a backyard mechanic's view of the strange in these little cars. Plus it has lots of iconic cartoons that you will then recognize when you see them on people's t-shirts at aircooled shows. Here is an Amazon link but I prefer a used dog-eared spiral bound edition. One of your friends or neighbors just might pop over with one they had in their basement when they see you have a bug. https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-...amp;sr=1-1

Looking forward to following the build.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

When you go to put that engine back in you're going to need a new captive nut as the doghouse oil cooler will make accessing that difficult if not impossible. Here are a couple of links that had been offered in another thread on this issue so you can get the part when you need it

Joel wrote:
sb001 wrote:
no true actual VW replacement available.

Just search for case captive nut or Part #111101135, several places sell them like VWheritage etc

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Captive-nut-fo...183292.htm

Cusser wrote:
I've got this saved as Engine Case Nut Insert Captive Nut
https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/engine-case-nut-insert-111199102/
Part #111 199 102
This nut came on all dual relief cases. This is because with a doghouse cooler it is near impossible to get a nut off or on once the engine is in. If you're putting a dual relief case on a transmission that took a single relief case, make sure you grind off the locking boss for the bolt on the clutch arm side before you put the motor in. Be careful not to crack the case when installing. Rig up a pipe that has a notch to match the notch on the flywheel side of the case. Draw the nut into the case with a bolt.

And here's the thread that those quotes came from

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7061930

The engine in your bug may have come from a later model so there are some differences. The common idea that all these parts can be mixed and matched across the years is only partially true. Volkswagen was constantly making changes sometimes even mid-year so often times there are little modifications needed to get things to match together you never know how the prior owner got it done.

Cussers comment about the locking boss for the bolt on the transaxle side is something that may be a clue to help your quest.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I have also learned that the husband's preference for surprise is more about the husband than the wife. Mine really enjoys the looking forward to it so that's how I roll as an old man. Makes for a shared experience and stronger partnership. Good stuff.

That round "nut" adventure reminds me about how many little quirks there are with these air cooled dubs compared to other cars and bikes I have played with over the years. Most rides are put together in an intuitive way but these have some twists that only a 1940's German engineer might anticipate. In the end I do believe it all makes perfect sense but getting there has involved some reference material to add to the wrenching.

Since you already have the skills to go deep you will enjoy the Volkswagen of America Official Service Manual Beetle and Karmann Ghia 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969. Five minutes of reference saves me two hours of guessing and broken parts. Here's an Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle-Karmann-Service-Manual/dp/0837616468

For pure fun most airheads have John Muir's How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot. It is a fun read providing a backyard mechanic's view of the strange in these little cars. Plus it has lots of iconic cartoons that you will then recognize when you see them on people's t-shirts at aircooled shows. Here is an Amazon link but I prefer a used dog-eared spiral bound edition. One of your friends or neighbors just might pop over with one they had in their basement when they see you have a bug. https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-...amp;sr=1-1

Looking forward to following the build.

Thanks for the support! Appreciate it. I have both of those manual, one does not mention engine removal at all and the other shows a very nice picture of two nuts on the top to remove Smile All of the youtube videos shows two nuts and as I said before I could feel flats on the back side.

I am still trying to work out how this went together and how to get it apart. I took another picture of the back?front? side of the bolt so that all could see the flats. It isn't possible to turn it in this position as far as my monkey brain can figure out. However, as was said before, it somehow got in there.

It's obviously an aftermarket bolt but hell if I know how it was suppose to be set up.

I think I will be removing the oil cooler and seeing if I can press it out. Removing the oil cooler is going to be fun with it still in there.... awell, I will get it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

Your car has a doghouse style oil cooler, these engine cases came with a pressed in insert "nut" on the block side. Get a wrench or a socket on that bolt head & take the bolt out.

Earlier cars had that stop on the transmission side to keep the special "D head" bolt from turning, just like the one on the passenger side.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
meatness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I have until May Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Your car has a doghouse style oil cooler, these engine cases came with a pressed in insert "nut" on the block side. Get a wrench or a socket on that bolt head & take the bolt out.

Earlier cars had that stop on the transmission side to keep the special "D head" bolt from turning, just like the one on the passenger side.

There isn't a way to get a wrench or a socket on the bolt to turn it because of the flats on the transmission that is stopping one from doing so. That is the problem. If you look at the picture above you can see the flats stopping any access to the bolt head.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: