Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Telefunken radio restoration
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations on an company or individual that can fully restore a Telefunken radio for a split window beetle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

I restore old car radios but I live in Belgium. Due to the high shipping and customs costs, this is not an option.
You can ask it here. Many restorers of old tube radios are active there. Probably also someone who lives not too far from you.
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php

Which Telefunken radio is it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1951 (model without or model with push buttons)

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
thomrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

It was the 1950 model. I just have no idea how much to put aside to have one restored to mint condition. Restored ones are going anywhere from $2,500 to $3,500, so how much of that would be the restoration costs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

thomrk wrote:
It was the 1950 model. I just have no idea how much to put aside to have one restored to mint condition. Restored ones are going anywhere from $2,500 to $3,500, so how much of that would be the restoration costs?

There are 2 types : IA50 6 Volt and IB50 6 and 12 Volt.

The price depends on the condition of the radio:
-is the radio complete with separate power supply?
-are the buttons, tuning scale, speaker, etc. still in good condition?
-are all original components still present and working?
-has the radio ever been repaired?
-what is the condition of the housing?
-what can you do yourself such as repainting the housing?
-etc.

If necessary, new radio tubes are still available.
You also pay much more at a company that repairs old radios than at a radio technician who does it as a hobby.
That is why I have given you the link: there are mainly radio collectors and radio technicians/hobbyists who also want to do repairs for someone else.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

Tom if you happen to find someone in the US please update the post. I have an ID51 or ID52 Telefunken, not sure what the difference is between the two, that I would like to have restored as well. I have a new dial face, buttons, and knobs for it. I would probably restore the face plate on my own and just have the internals checked out. I have not tried to power mine. I read somewhere that you are better off having it inspected before powering it up. Does anyone know the difference between the Telefunken ID51 and 52?

Thanks
Josh
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

I would ask Koch's / Carlos Guzman
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

Low Bräu wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between the Telefunken ID51 and 52?

Thanks
Josh

The Telefunken ID51 has 4 vacuum tubes : ECH42 EAF42 EAF42 and EL41.
The ID52V is the successor, improved version and has 5 vacuum tubes : EF41 ECH42 EAF42 EF41 and EL41.

Do not switch on the radio until the radio has been checked and repaired by a radio technician.
Otherwise it can cost you various components, such as vacuum tubes, the power supply, the output transformer, etc.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

Thanks, Ovally. I will inspect mine this weekend and see exactly what model I have.

Josh
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

Definitely don't power up the radio unless someone qualified to assess its condition has done so first. The odds are excellent that it won't run anyway if it's been sitting as capacitors dry out, and components just generally deteriorate when left unused.

Finding someone stateside qualified and willing to take on these Telefunken radios is frustrating. You could google Charlie Siegfried in Sevastopol, CA for openers. Otherwise you'll almost certainly have to send it back to Europe. Shipping's high, but that's just part of the cost if you want this done right.

I've used Ton Zitman in the Netherlands for several vintage radios over the years with consistent first-class results. He's very knowledgeable and a real pleasure to deal with. I think you can google his name and find him. Or look on eBay as he advertises occasionally under "tonz".

Good luck!
horatiocaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

Ross at RLB Electronics. 310-261-4628, he is located in Torrance CA
thomrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Telefunken radio restoration Reply with quote

Could you provide additional information for Ton Zitman? I googled his name and checked him on ebay but could not find an actual way to contact him. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: