Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Door Handle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

The sliding door handle pulled out on my 85 Weary what keeps it in? Also the Vanagon Rescue Squad on Van Alert does not seem as complete as the original site. We are just west of Cheyenne Wyoming any repair shops near by? We are headed to Nebraska.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

A single screw holds the sliding door handle in. Visible from inside. There should be a plain washer as well.

Van Alert has been trying to resurrect the Vanagon Rescue Squad database - but so many links were out of date that each one is having to be checked out. This obviously takes time for just one enthusiast to undertake, so I guess it's be grateful for what's been done so far!
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Is that the same screw that holds the inside handle? If so it's still there. Good point about Van Alert I was not aware.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Watch the beginning of this video from GW:

Link
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Depending on what you need and when, I'd recommend calling Mr. Mechanic in Fort Collins.

They're the mechanical arm of Van Cafe/Rocky Mountain Westy.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Thanks Bob I assume the screw loosened and dropped down I'll check it in the morning.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
Thanks Bob I assume the screw loosened and dropped down I'll check it in the morning.
Check the end of the handle where the screw threads are and also along the inner section that would be inside the door once mounted, , is it intact. [they can break or crack]
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

the screw is NOT visible unless you pull back the door panel
you can figure out where it is by visualizing straight thru the outside handle to the inside..
I have a small hole and cap there on mine as it likes to loosen up.
and a loose handle means it'll be a broken handle at some point..

also I don't mean to be mean or crass but if a door handle requires a Van Alert or mechanic shop level event.. I fear for your travels in a vanagon.

best of luck.. you'll be a mechanic soon enough.
fxr wrote:
A single screw holds the sliding door handle in. Visible from inside. There should be a plain washer as well.
!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

I just replaced my slider door handle yesterday. The screw would loosen up periodically and result in a floppy handle. I noticed it was getting loose again. went to tighten it and found the screw was tight. Turns out the pot metal end of it had broken in half inside the door latch mechanism. I had a spare to swap it out with. The hardest part was swapping over the lock cylinder as it was full of grit and required a full disassembly of all the tumblers and springs. This time the screw got a drop of locktite.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

consider making a hole in the panel to re-tighten the screw w/o removing panel.

the delrin bushing available really helps that handle to keep it from braking and keeping it tight.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

There is a guy here in Springfield NE named Jesse Urwin that might be able to help you out. Vintage VW Restorations. He's got a lot of parts sitting around. All the upullits in Omaha and Lincoln are out of Vans at the moment. I'm in Gretna, if you need further assistance, send me a DM. You're welcome to camp in our driveway if needed.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

I drilled a hole in the inner panel and tightened up my handle today. Thanks for the hole idea. Now off to the hardware store to find a plug.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Managed to loosen the panel and retrieve the screw that had backed out completely. Reassembled and all is well. Thanks to all!
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Nice job Maine - enjoy the rest of your trip.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

it is likely to come out again - put a touch of Purple Loctite on it
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Good idea will do. Thanks
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Does anyone know the size of the screw for the interior sliding door handle? Mine is gone and handle keeps falling off, gowesty has the screw, but it doesn't list what size it is and I was just hoping to go down to the local hw store and pick up a screw..
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

M5 x 16 mm long, 0.80 thread pitch, pan head Philips

Used on both the front and the rear "fixed" handle (if you have one).

Also use a M5 flat washer and a M5 lock washer and/or lock tite on the threads when you reinstall it.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Handle Reply with quote

Awesome thanks so much!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: