Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLARENCEBEEKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

It doesn’t matter what font you type the n-word In, it is equally offensive.

Agreed. I hear African Americans say it daily to each other, it offends me but not them? -if a white person should say it They may lose their job, strange times?

Liar (would have gotten you shot in the 1800’s) and “F”face and “f”you are offensive too -
this guy is pretty upset about things such as a tag etc... But not enough to speak up or take his business somewhere else? Long after he is refunded his money he’s gonna be upset. He should just begin the healing and go get his money back today.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

Language is neither context nor speaker blind, that is true. If you go to some countries in Africa, you hear words that are not used by grown-ups in the West.

Replace the flag with a swastika, and maybe that is easier to get.

I officially declare this thread OTR
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

mar59sta wrote:
Tim, that’s a car tag. This town has two football teams. They are the blue devils and the rebels( not Syrian). There is also a blue devil tag, not sure about your stance on the boogie man. In an effort to appease the football faithful local customers, he has the school mascot tags. I don’t care if you get your deposit back or not, although it is CLEAR in your provided text msg exchanges that you were offered your $ back more than once, so you declined and agreed to the extension. Even after all your gut feelings, no contact, reported health issues, learning how a body shop stays afloat, a car tag that threatened you and his disregard for your “ list”. You still agreed to an extension an work began. Labor and materials, power, taxes, insurance..... so much more to properly keep doors open for many years. Collision comes first was discussed. You threatened to report it stolen, and that put an end to the agreement. So in your effort to garner sympathy, disclose all the facts, veiled threats etc.

This is no effort for sympathy. It is a warning for others who might come across this shop in their search for restoration work. I think to any outsiders, if they get to this point, they will not want to go through what I did. Especially with all you random folks coming out of the woodwork to defend this bullshit because you are in some car club or something.

Yes, he offered the deposit back INITIALLY. I didnt want the deposit back, I wanted him to finish what we agreed upon. After more and more weeks of not doing anything he told me he wanted the bus out of there. I went and picked it up and he said he was keeping the deposit.

Again, yes I told him I was going to report it stolen. This was after 4 weeks (I just checked. I said 3 weeks earlier, but it was 4) of no returned phone calls, texts, emails, etc. You seem to think that is just a fine and dandy business practice?

Moreso, this was 4 weeks of no responses that occured 1 month and 10 days AFTER the bus was supposed to be finished! So over a month after the job was supposed to be done and the owner doesnt respond to contact for ANOTHER 4 weeks and Im just supposed to be totally fine with that? What world do you live in?
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

CLARENCEBEEKS wrote:
It doesn’t matter what font you type the n-word In, it is equally offensive.

Agreed. I hear African Americans say it daily to each other, it offends me but not them? -if a white person should say it They may lose their job, strange times?

Liar (would have gotten you shot in the 1800’s) and “F”face and “f”you are offensive too -
this guy is pretty upset about things such as a tag etc... But not enough to speak up or take his business somewhere else? Long after he is refunded his money he’s gonna be upset. He should just begin the healing and go get his money back today.

Why dont you stay out of this? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I saw the flag when I went to drop the bus off. Over an hour from where I live. I thought it was odd at that point, but didnt want to be judgemental. Just stuck out to me as pretty unprofessional for a business.

He said he was going to keep the deposit in person when I was there. I also sent him an email politely asking for it back. I payed it via paypal, so he could refund it very easily at any time and this would all be over.
CLARENCEBEEKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

Why dont you stay out of this? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Meow hissss.... growl. (Angry growl). If only I were a champion for your cause!
You would be giving me cyber fist bumps and “right on bro” love like all the other Jacklegs that have no idea what’s happened .
However I am going to stay out of your endless blathering about all the injustices of your world. Drive down get your deposit back, he will pay you. Blast Metallica or the Misfits for the trip there then some Yani with the Indigo Girls sprinkled in for the trip back with all that cash. I apologize for upsetting you.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

CLARENCEBEEKS wrote:
Why dont you stay out of this? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Meow hissss.... growl. (Angry growl). If only I were a champion for your cause!
You would be giving me cyber fist bumps and “right on bro” love like all the other Jacklegs that have no idea what’s happened .
However I am going to stay out of your endless blathering about all the injustices of your world. Drive down get your deposit back, he will pay you. Blast Metallica or the Misfits for the trip there then some Yani with the Indigo Girls sprinkled in for the trip back with all that cash. I apologize for upsetting you.

I dont give anyone "cyber fistbumps" and I dont use the term "bro". The intention of this thread is highlight the business practices of someone who advertises their services to the VW community. Take my story however you want. Go down to his shop and drop your car off. I dont give a fvck.

Please point me to "my endless blathering about all the injustices of your world". Oh wait, you cant. They dont exist. Your just lying again trying to distract from the real issue at hand. You get your playbook from a certain elected official that Im sure you voted for.

...There is a confederate flag in his shop

...No there is 100% not and youre a liar and now have 0 credibility

....Literally proves unequivocally with photo evidence of said flag

....Oh. Well thats not a flag and its not very big. And even if it is a flag, it doesnt mean what you think it does.

Can you just give me a "very legal, and very cool" before you go away?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

Quote:
....Literally proves unequivocally with photo evidence of said flag

This is extremely high on Grahams Triangle of Disagreement - as in the top pointy part.
caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

What stands out to me most here in this adventure is the shop owner offering my deposit back and for me to take my bus out before it was even started. At that point I would have said " I'll be right there"
Just my feeling when offered that option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

There at least six contextual ways this could have been said with highly diverse meanings and intentions; that is not an easy call from a text version for me.
mar59sta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

Replace the swastika with a vw emblem......... Rolling Eyes if having that tag makes you a hate filled racist, then the vw makes you a nazi pffffffft . Offered at least twice to get your bus and $ before work started, twice. I’m sorry for your experience but I just see the sun different than some of you, my sunset is your sunrise....... both are correct, just different perspective. Fair winds and following seas friends
CLARENCEBEEKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

MAGA
MTSGA. So much anger Sad
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

finally a shitshow i'm not involved in Dancing

RalphWiggam wrote:
I love all these people coming out of the woodwork..

no doubt. funny how that works, huh?

ivwshane wrote:
the OP's issue seems to be a lack of communication and progress. What is considered a reasonable amount of communication and what should customers expect when it comes to progress?

I give updates every few days, or as "scheduled" if you will...if I talk to someone one Monday we go over xyz and set a time for an update. sometimes i'm on the phone well past 10pm

it's hard to keep up on all of it, but somehow I do. some don't...they just shut down.

I think there was a communication issue from the gitgo. but I will say this, if a business owner doesn't reach out to a client...he shouldn't be in business period. there are brilliant mechanics, body guys, fabricators etc that have no business running a business. if they can't deliver on their promises, and keep a line of communication open they should refuse the job...plain and simple

communication is huge. especially with this shit...it's a car no one needs. it's money someone doesn't need to spend. if the guy is that busy, he needs office help that can 1) answer a question or 2) run out and talk to the owner to get the question answered or 3) not take on any work if he's booked. not answering a clients questions is bullshit.

as an aside....you'd hate my place. I have a lawn jockey that has been on the farm since 1895. it's a piece of history. and people that fly off the handle and associate that with racism need to pick up a history book.

if that offends you, your bus was created in part by a dude who burnt a bunch of innocent Jews

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

Let’s blame VW for World War I too, since Ferdinand Porsche was the Archdukes chaffauer , too.

There is no equivalence of the VW brand, with Czech Austrian roots, bth pre war and post war German influence , and US MARSHALL plan history, and a flag appropriated for racist reasons in 1948.
CLARENCEBEEKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

Or Tim could have just asked about the tag and he Would have heard about the (non ending) Local rivalry between the Bremen Blue Devils and the Haralson County Rebels that has carried on for generations. But, this made a fine lil nugget in his diatribe to garner some favor in his ”asking for advice” on this platform. He’s much smarter than these post reveal, he is getting to vent and hopefully damage another persons business etc etc
Make the drive, ask for your deposit and you will get it. I can even point you in the direction of some good food around there.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

CLARENCEBEEKS wrote:
Or Tim could have just asked about the tag and he Would have heard about the (non ending) Local rivalry between the Bremen Blue Devils and the Haralson County Rebels that has carried on for generations. But, this made a fine lil nugget in his diatribe to garner some favor in his ”asking for advice” on this platform. He’s much smarter than these post reveal, he is getting to vent and hopefully damage another persons business etc etc
Make the drive, ask for your deposit and you will get it. I can even point you in the direction of some good food around there.

Im starting to think some of you people cant read. Maybe you just cant comprehend english very well. Im not at all surprised.

All of this bullshit youre spouting is obviously trying to distract from the issue at hand. Please point me to where I said the flag bothered me. Please do it. Oh yeah, wait, you cant. I said it was odd that a business owner has a confederate flag hanging in his shop. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ive also told you numerous times the deposit was made via paypal. Do you know what that is? He can refund my deposit from anywhere in the world. You people telling me to go out there in person are trying to get me to walk into a bad situation. Is that what you want? You want us to fight it out? Knowing both people involved, I dont think that is advisable in the least. We are both parents to small children and this bullshit is not worth what I think you are suggesting.

Last but not least, you DO realize that the more you keep bumping this thread and responding with incoherent out of context nonsense, the more people see this thread and want to avoid his shop. Right? Tell me you realize that.
CLARENCEBEEKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

You are so wound up man... no one wants to do you harm. Stop in town and get the local cops to go with you (GeezAmighty) you are so stressed out over this money. Oh! You said it was a PayPal transaction just file a claim!
But seriously.... Has it been worth it? You sleeping good? You haven’t hurt this guys shop - but you are yourself with all this stress.
The shop owner hasn’t responded to any of your posts but eh I was bored so I did. Now I am bored... Your anger and fury are much greater than my desire to continue on, it was entertaining for a moment. Poking you a little I apologize for doing that. I am sorry I made you feel like you may be attacked or have to fight someone too. I barely read your post(s) so if I got something really bad wrong again - sorry for that too. You made me laugh some but now I feel bad.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

CLARENCEBEEKS wrote:
You are so wound up man... no one wants to do you harm. Stop in town and get the local cops to go with you (GeezAmighty) you are so stressed out over this money. Oh! You said it was a PayPal transaction just file a claim!
But seriously.... Has it been worth it? You sleeping good? You haven’t hurt this guys shop - but you are yourself with all this stress.
The shop owner hasn’t responded to any of your posts but eh I was bored so I did. Now I am bored... Your anger and fury are much greater than my desire to continue on, it was entertaining for a moment. Poking you a little I apologize for doing that. I am sorry I made you feel like you may be attacked or have to fight someone too. I barely read your post(s) so if I got something really bad wrong again - sorry for that too. You made me laugh some but now I feel bad.

Im not wound up at all. Im glad you got bored and in effect made this thread much more visible for more people to see and read. I hope you can proces the fact that you are doing more harm than good to your friend Charles. You seem to love to put words in my mouth and some how know what Im thinking. The money is just money. The principle is what is important.

The deposit was to secure my spot on June 10th as stated by Charles. To make sure I showed up. Thats it. His terms, not mine. I paid the deposit and showed up with the bus the morning of June 10th. I fulfilled my contractual obligation. End of story. He didnt do the work we agreed on and asked me to retrieve the bus unfinished (not even really started), so he should return the deposit. Simple as that.

I cant file a paypal claim because it is over the time period to file a claim.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

Having been in this classic motor trade business in the past, it's really like no other, so much can go awry, delays, poor parts, damaged parts, part availability, unexpected previous bad work and hidden botches, the list goes on and on. The straightforward job is the rarity.

People had a lot of trouble with the guy who built my engine. His communication is poor regarding returning txt, email and answering the phone but if you drive there and talk to the guy he won't shut up, he loves to talk engines and makes time for anyone.

Acting as an intermediary one time I asked him about it and his reply was that he just hated to tell people there had been little or no progress because however unavoidable the delays had been, the reasons when voiced, even to his own ears sounded like lame excuses. Likewise he would never give a finish date for anything because people would then make plans and if he didn't make the date for reasons beyond his control, he still became the cause of their wasted day off work/cancelled ferry/holiday or whatever and again the reasons sounded like limp excuses for untogetherness which was never the case.

Seems like here, the OP and the shop guy had very different expectations based on the same conversation(s). It's not so unusual?

The shop guy meant they'd work on the bus as and when, between insurance jobs - Lowest priority.
The OPs understanding was the shop might have to stop now and again, but would mostly be working on his vehicle - Highest priority.

It's pretty hard to outright tell a prospective customer his job will always be at the back of the queue and still get the work, but a shop like this does those fill in jobs more or less at cost, almost like a hobby, marginally better than sitting waiting (for who knows how long) for the next insurance work. I guess you (OP) didn't understand this and why should you? Now you do, you can weigh up the next shop.

You might find a Custom Shop is similar with smaller quicker jobs jumping the queue - there are reasons - you can't tell someone that you can't do a half day job for 2 months because you're restoring a camper without loosing the work, but you can tell a 2 month job camper owner that you had to stop for half a day - because you're already doing that work, which is going to take months anyway. With the best will, that's reality.

Good luck with it, I mean that, but try to put yourself in the shop's position, reckon up how their business HAS to work and be ready for delays. These places can't exist if they turn away 20-50 potential customers or completely loose an insurance company's business to restore an old VW bus. I suggest that unless you find a shop that ONLY restores VW buses and is set up like a production line that's always going to be the way of it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:

Good luck with it, I mean that, but try to put yourself in the shop's position, reckon up how their business HAS to work and be ready for delays. These places can't exist if they turn away 20-50 potential customers or completely loose an insurance company's business to restore an old VW bus. I suggest that unless you find a shop that ONLY restores VW buses and is set up like a production line that's always going to be the way of it.

although I agree mostly with what you said, if what ralph said is true, it sounds like more of a communication issue.

as I have pointed out in the past a job may take 2 months, but it could be 9 calendar months that have elapsed for many of the reasons you point out.. mainly it's waiting on parts or other work out on sublet.

there are several 1 man shops out there. using that as an excuse for lack of communication is poor at best. if communication was there, the outcome/expectations could have been different.

rule of thumb when you want something done fast....go to a big shop with multiple employees

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlanta area 72 Westy Paint/Body Repair saga....advice? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

although I agree mostly with what you said, if what ralph said is true, it sounds like more of a communication issue.

as I have pointed out in the past a job may take 2 months, but it could be 9 calendar months that have elapsed for many of the reasons you point out.. mainly it's waiting on parts or other work out on sublet.

there are several 1 man shops out there. using that as an excuse for lack of communication is poor at best. if communication was there, the outcome/expectations could have been different.

rule of thumb when you want something done fast....go to a big shop with multiple employees

Yep. All I was looking for was a simple text maybe every 2 weeks. That takes what, maybe 7 seconds of time?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: