Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

Hi All,

Recently, I’ve had an odd little issue with my bus. After I drive it around for a few miles, if I put it in neutral or park, I get an extremely high idle. If I shut the bus off and start it again, it idles normal. It’s an EFI with an automatic. Anyone have any direction on this?

I think this thread may touch on some solutions but I’m having trouble fully wrapping my head around it:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385580

Thanks!
1963 Turkis Single Cab, 1600cc
1964 Turkis Standard Walk-Thru, 1641cc
1978 Westfalia 2.0L EFI Automatic

Turkis Mafia
Turkis Mafia Facebook Group

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

Vacuum leak.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

Make sure your ignition timing is set properly and also fix any vacuum leaks you have.
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

Just last week I had it in an air cooled shop who went thru the whole bus (I just purchased it). I had a restored svda distributor installed. It only started after i picked it up. They checked and fixed all vacuum leaks, or so I was ensured, maybe they set the timing wrong? What’s weird to me is that it’s just if I cycle the bus off then immediately back on... it runs perfect. to me that would eliminate timing or vacuum leaks? I figured it was something with the FI. I am new to VW’s tho, I know little to nothing about anything Very Happy

Turkis Mafia

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

best guess is the idle is too high so the distributor advance is kicking in. That or sticking,
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

Danam404 wrote:
Just last week I had it in an air cooled shop who went thru the whole bus (I just purchased it).

that don't mean shit, to be quite frank. Seen plenty of crap/incompetent work on this forum by air-cooled shops.

Quote:
I had a restored svda distributor installed. It only started after i picked it up.

Hmm let's hear more about this distributor. Quite possible it's wrong for your Bus. See if you can recover the original one.

Quote:
They checked and fixed all vacuum leaks, or so I was ensured, maybe they set the timing wrong? What’s weird to me is that it’s just if I cycle the bus off then immediately back on... it runs perfect. to me that would eliminate timing or vacuum leaks?

No.

Quote:

I figured it was something with the FI. I am new to VW’s tho, I know little to nothing about anything Very Happy

The FI has no knowledge of or control over the idle speed. The idle speed is controlled completely mechanically by a bypass air passage around the throttle plate and the size of that passage can be adjusted by a screw, thus restricting the amount of air that can flow around the throttle plate.

Ask the shop if they fucked with this screw.

You should NOT fuck with this screw until you are sure that a) the engine is fully warmed up and b) you have eliminated any vacuum leaks.

Vacuum leaks allow extra air in past the throttle plate and can therefore cause rpm to increase. If there is enough of a leak it can even keep the idle speed adjusting screw from having any effect on the idle speed at all, even if screwed in all the way.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

Danam404 wrote:
Just last week I had it in an air cooled shop who went thru the whole bus (I just purchased it). I had a restored svda distributor installed. It only started after i picked it up. They checked and fixed all vacuum leaks, or so I was ensured, maybe they set the timing wrong? What’s weird to me is that it’s just if I cycle the bus off then immediately back on... it runs perfect. to me that would eliminate timing or vacuum leaks? I figured it was something with the FI. I am new to VW’s tho, I know little to nothing about anything Very Happy

Can be caused by mechanical advance sticking on the "restored" distributor.

However regular old vacuum leaks/high idle can also cause similar symptoms. What can happen is that you get into a bit of a feedback loop. When you start it, idle is normal and advance is normal. You rev it, and the mechanical advance - advances. Then when you let off the gas, the advance is still advanced and it doesn't *quite* go back to where it should be because the revs are just enough to keep it advanced and the advanced timing causes higher revs, a catch 22. In order for everything to work correctly everything has to be correct... idle air screw, idle mixture, distributor timing and advance curve, etc etc.

Also don't overlook a sticky accelerator pedal. Try pulling UP on the pedal next time it does it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

I will go so far as to say you may have a weak primary spring in your distributor. There are two springs in the distributor one (the primary) that works over the entire rpm range and one that only has effect at higher rpms. If the primary spring is weak it will allow the timing to advance too quickly at idle and/or not return as others mentioned. It is very likely that your distributor went years or even decades without having any oil applied to the felt that sits under the rotor. This felt is supposed to provide lube for the mechanical advance mechanism, but can't do so if it is not lubed occasionally.

The taps onto which the springs are hooked have little plastic pieces on them that can crack and fall off over the decades, once gone the springs will effectively be too long to work correctly
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

Later automatic buses used an electronic decel valve that was actuated during deceleration but also at idle to act as an idle speed control valve, (to boost the idle airflow when a gear is selected to combat torque converter loss.)

Sorry I have to run and I can't expand on this sooner, but the throttle body MUST return and close the circuit on the throttle body switch to trigger the valve to open. If the ECU is not communicating with the valve properly, you could be getting excess airflow through the auto decel valve. If you have a picture through the upper hatch of your engine, we can start diagnosing that with you.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurkisMafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

The distributor was just restored by Bill Fowler/wcfvw69, so for now I think it’s safe to rule out a malfunction there. When I return to the bus on Sunday I will definitely snap some photos and see if we can’t go from there. I will also check for vacuum leaks. Thank you for all the input everyone!

Turkis Mafia

Sunny Sarasota, Florida
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: High idle in park - 78 Automatic EFI Reply with quote

Danam404 wrote:
The distributor was just restored by Bill Fowler/wcfvw69, so for now I think it’s safe to rule out a malfunction there. When I return to the bus on Sunday I will definitely snap some photos and see if we can’t go from there. I will also check for vacuum leaks. Thank you for all the input everyone!

Good deal, yes I would not worry about his work. I was concerned maybe you had some autozone Cardone special in there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: