Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 super refresh
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 super refresh Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys. I will be purchasing the thermostat and flaps from awesomepowdercoat very soon. I plan on dropping the engine this weekend to inspect the clutch/pp/tob and more than likely replace. The distributor is quite sloppy as well, so I will be going through it as well. I may get started on that tonight. Ill definitely keep posting pictures as I progress. I hope to find a complete oil bath breather setup in the classifieds soon. Is there anything specific I need to look out for when buying these used?
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 72 super refresh Reply with quote

Got a few little odds and ends changed. Went through the distributor, got it moving freely and replaced the points. Still have to retime it but it was close enough to crank right up and drive to the shop.

I called my friends dad to discuss the noise coming from the trans and he concluded that the main shaft bearing will need replacing. I thought it would be TOB but you learn something new every day. This will entail a trans rebuild which is fine considering all the leakage I found when I put the car on the lift. Friends dad has all the tools necessary to rebuild this so he will be letting me use his stuff and helping me go through it. Very Happy

I found a breather from a semi local guy in Boone. Appalachian air and watercooled and it should be here next week. The carbon canister is still in place but obviously not hooked to anything. That will be on the to do list as soon as the air cleaner gets here.

Below are some pics of the leaks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 super refresh Reply with quote

Still having a bit of hesitation if you open the throttle plate to quickly under load so I want to clean out and put a kit in the bocar 34pict3. Im thinking it may just be the accelerator pump but I feel like I should fully rebuild it for good measure.

Where do I get the best quality kit for these?
hedchange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 72 super refresh Reply with quote

Nice start, I am currently rebuilding a early '73 SB and look forward to hearing more about this. I actually have the same question about the wires, but mine look like they were never hooked up.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 72 super refresh Reply with quote

I havent started looking into the rear defroster system or those wires yet but i will be in the coming weeks while im waiting on parts. Ill update as I figure things out.

The trunk got shut before i tightened release cable and now I have to cut the handle apart to get into the trunk Rolling Eyes I thought it was supposed to default to where the button would open it but I guess this one wasnt adjusted this way. It has been painted so i could see something like this happening.

I got the engine and trans pulled yesterday. Ill start pulling the tins and putting the flaps/thermostat in as soon as I get them. Gonna order oil cooler seals and possibly a new oil cooler if needed. Do the oil coolers themselves crack and leak often?

My vw guy told me that he expects that a mainshaft bearing has gone or is going bad in the trans, considering the noise and other troubles its giving. Is there any way to tell if this bearing is bad before I tear into the trans? The input shaft has up/down play but I thought that they always had some?

Also do they make replacements for these? It goes in the oil bath air cleaner. assuming its a thermostat flap.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: