Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge issues ( refrigerator ) not working
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually those r the same wires that I have. The blue are connected together like in the pic but i have one black wire connected to each of the white braided wires..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here ya go The black wires connect together and the blue wires go to each side of the white ones.
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success, after messing around with the fridge to no avail, I decided to purchase a multimeter. Well that was a learning lesson of its own, never used one. I messed with that not knowing how to use it correctly and getting incorrect readings. One thing I did learn was how to find out if there is conductivity. So I started to mess around. To my surprise one of the wire to the thermostat, although looked like it was connected, had come loose. Fix the problem, put everything back together and within minutes the element began to heat up and within 20 mins I had an ice cold fridge. If I had a recommendation, I would started with the conductivity test. It would have save me a whole lot of time. Thanks everybody for ur help.. Alex
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post what the correct wiring for the thermostat. Thanks for all the help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Have a look at this: http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm (scroll down to Westfalia).

Just wanted to thank this thread, BD, and the samba because it helped me fix a non-functional refrigerator in my 78 westfalia. The bartnik link above was crucial in diagnosing my issues with the rectifier underneath the rear seat.

My fridge was working fine on the auxiliary battery power- but when I plugged in the shore power and switched it over to "city power" on the control panel the fridge would no longer function.

First, I checked the 20A (yes "20A MAX" according to the rear sticker on the rectifier) and it was blown. Great! this will be an easy fix. I replaced it with a brand new one but still had no voltage coming out of the rectifier based on this test in the bartnik link:

Look at your converter -- it has a Romex cable from breaker box to right rear corner. Out of left rear corner are three wires -- 2 white + 1 red. The red one is power out with breaker on. You should have 0 volts with breaker off. Flip breaker and you should have 14.5 volts. If you do converter works -- if you don't, replace it.

So I figured my rectifier is dead. But further investigation. I checked for continuity of the circuit when the new fuse was plugged in by using the fuse holder as my contact points.. I had none. Hmm. Turns out the fuse holder was at fault. In my case it was very corroded at its connection points inside the clamps (difficult to see) that hold the fuse. I cleaned the clamps and voila-- fridge light would now come on in the control panel and I was now getting the 14.4V output from the rectifier.

I know there are a variety of things that go wrong with late bay refrigerators but just thought I would add my solution to this thread hoping to help someone else who may have a similar issue.
1977 Westfalia Weekender Tintop (very first car - SOLD Sad )
1992 VW Corrado VR6 (SOLD)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge issues ( refrigerator ) not working Reply with quote

For anyone who plans on keeping their Westy and using their fridge long term I would strongly reccens purchasing one of the new upgraded heating elements for sale in the classifieds. They are excellent and work better than the originals. A Samba member had these reproduced and hopefully will continue to do so.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge issues ( refrigerator ) not working Reply with quote

Who is the vendor with the improved heating elements?
Slip
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge issues ( refrigerator ) not working Reply with quote

Search fridge heating element. It's not a vendor but a Samba member.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: