Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best wire crimping tool?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

I have a Hozan P-707 tool shown below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used them for a project with these connectors for my Mazadaspeed:

This table shows the die sizes:

Here's a sample of the wire and insulation crimps:

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Since the question was, "what is the best crimping tool", I have to once again say AMP. Of all of the responses I have seen, maybe one of the tools would be considered decent. I don't just play with VWs, but I have my hands in a lot of pots, and I do a lot of electrical work. Here is my set of crimpers (minus the "red" one), and they are AMPS. My son has finally gyrated to the garage, but he doesn't always put the tools back.

I have picked all of these up from swap meets, with a total cost of about $60. The sizes range from 22 to 10 gauge. The secret is that you don't buy tools from the folks that have them sitting out nice and pretty. Instead you look for the sellers that just have them thrown in piles, and you dig though every box of old rusty tools that you see. I paid $25 for the 12-10 gauge crimpers, and I just about had a bowel movement when I looked them up on line. This is what they cost new.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-59287-2.html?te_...gIeHfD_BwE

In case that link breaks in the future, I'm going to post it here.

$1,099 HOLY MACKEREL
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

In case that link breaks in the future, I'm going to post it here.

$1,099 HOLY MACKEREL

That's why I said that I just about had bowel movement when I looked them up. I thought about reselling them, but I won't, because I love them when I need them, and they are almost a trophy. I know that most of you are back east, but I'm out here in CA. I found these at the Santa Cruz swap meet. Santa Cruz is our home away from home, and my wife makes me go there several times a year, especially when I am stressing over a build or project. For some reason, Santa Cruz allows me to do a brain dump, and of course my wife always makes sure that I can do a swap meet run.

But seriously, I am the sole source of income for the family, yet I have tens of thousands of $s worth of tools. Where did they come from? Thrift stores and swap meets. As I said before, bypass the sellers where everything is laid out nice and pretty, they know what the tools are worth. Instead concentrate on sellers where the tools are dumped into piles, or just left in boxes for the buyer to dig through. I can't tell you how many times I have bought a specialized tool, and the seller asks me "what is this for" after the money has changed hands.

So unless you have the bucks for Snap On tools (I don't), do yourself a favor and head to your local swap meet. Not only will you get a little exercise, but you can save a whole lot of money. There is not a single crimper on this thread that I could not have purchased for $10.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I'm not claiming that this is the best by any means, but I bought this last year and have been happy with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-1-2-half-inch-wire-crimping-tool-36411.html

Here's a video on how to use it on open barrel terminals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv92DNdyQXo

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

[quote="APPLEGREENVW"]
Cusser wrote:
I'm not claiming that this is the best by any means, but I bought this last year and have been happy with it.

Better than nothing, but sometime get the real tool and you will be amazed how much better it works.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Some helpful tips on soldering. Telford is a long time electrical engineer and hangs in the bus forum.

telford dorr wrote:
Couple of notes:

1) Soldering makes an excellent electrical connection, but there's a downside: the outer surface of the wire strands actually dissolve in the solder (really - it's a chemical process!). Thus, the wire is actually weaker at the point where the copper meets the solder. Add to that, the solder is really rigid compared to the copper wire. This creates a high stress situation. Now add vehicle vibration. You can see where this is heading. In short, soldering has long term reliability issues (not severe in a bus, but they're there.) If you're going to use solder, be sure to secure the wire so as to minimize vibration of the wire. ...

2) A properly made crimp connection is tough to beat, but to get one, you must have good connectors and the proper matching tool. ...

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

I’ll repeat

Some helpful tips on soldering. Telford is a long time electrical engineer and hangs in the bus forum.

telford dorr wrote:
Couple of notes:

1) Soldering makes an excellent electrical connection, but there's a downside: the outer surface of the wire strands actually dissolve in the solder (really - it's a chemical process!). Thus, the wire is actually weaker at the point where the copper meets the solder. Add to that, the solder is really rigid compared to the copper wire. This creates a high stress situation. Now add vehicle vibration. You can see where this is heading. In short, soldering has long term reliability issues (not severe in a bus, but they're there.) If you're going to use solder, be sure to secure the wire so as to minimize vibration of the wire. ...

2) A properly made crimp connection is tough to beat, but to get one, you must have good connectors and the proper matching tool. ...

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I’ll repeat

telford dorr wrote:
Couple of notes:

x2 as above soldering is nice and is acceptable in most cases, BUT it makes the wire rigid and in a mobile, vibrating environment (like a car) it can be problematic if done improperly (wrong location, method, too much tension, chatter, vibration, etc etc etc)

Also, even if you protect the joint from vibration/stress but if the actual joint is done improperly (wrong solder, temperature, methods) you can actual make a brittle solder joint which is MORE prone to breakage, corrosion, and resistance.

Of course, YMMV.

If you are in a pinch or really hesitant to use crimp style connectors allow me to introduce a NASA approved wiring splice:

The "Lineman splice" aka "Western Union Splice"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Union_splice

NASA workmanship standards:
https://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/links/sections/407%20Splices.html
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Good enough for the VW factory.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

For those of you that don’t care for solder. Some more reading on crimping tools and terminals

https://www.ratwell.com/technical/Terminals.html

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

One of the problems with soldering, is that many people keep the iron / gun tip on the connection WAY too long. This problem has become worse with the loss of lead in most solders. You want high enough temp so tip contact is only a few seconds. Otherwise the solder will travel up the conductor, creating a larger brittle area. Due to health concerns, my students can only use a silver based solder. Because of this at least 50% of them screw up their first projects, since it's temp range is more critical.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

I have a pair of really old and good pair of ratcheting crimping yet they are for insulated connectors only and usually work fine. I got a pair of channel lock 909 just for some none insulated connectors and for cutting wire and they work ok for that. If it's really an important splice I prefer to solder and heat shrink and many times I do this with none insulated connectors.

It's nice to have a good set that do VW type crimps well and perfect and one day I might be able to afford a set . I don't need all the replacement jaws just the ones that do the VW type crimps.

I worked for Ford for 40 years and electrical was my main specialty. The shop had the ones that crimped ford connectors which are round yet the crimp is like VW used.

My 73 type 3 SB auto trans harness looks good and I had a spare from a 72 yet it was pretty sorry so I just saved what was usable which was not much.

My engine harness works yet it's become stiff and brittle something I'd like to replace some day and most of the boots are shot . If I can find the parts I can make a new one.

I only use crimp on connectors inside the car for adding gauges or a radio even then I prefer to solder none insulated terminals on and use heat shrink. Areas where vibration have no real impact. I also have a great pair of strippers I got decades ago .

Nice to have a soldering station yet I never got one. I use old Unger irons and Weller irons 40 watt is my main one and I have tips and a 60 watt Unger with a 1/4 screw driver tip for heavy wire and an old 90 watt I got when I worked for Bell Telephone in the 60's and a 120 watt Weller I never use. I just got used to using the irons so I never got a soldering station never had an issue even used them for building tube power guitar amps. It's all about prep .
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Just wanted to share, I bought these off of Amazon.

They aren't 'professional grade' but they do work very well. They were cheap and came with an assortment of crimp terminals as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8G29M4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Just wanted to share, I bought these off of Amazon.

They aren't 'professional grade' but they do work very well. They were cheap and came with an assortment of crimp terminals as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8G29M4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same tool, in blue. Works very well. Smile

02/76 Beetle sedan
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

telford dorr wrote:
Couple of notes:

That's what I was told, and I've even seen it a few times. Only crimps on my car. I dip the wire in copper electrical grease before crimping. For years, I used the simple pliers, non-ratcheting, but made by Würth. It was a good quality tool, much thicker and more sturdy than the cheapo look-alikes, and you can get excellent crimps if you put in the time and care.

I've since stepped up to the ratcheting type, it's definitely easier to crimp one-handed in tight spaces, and harder to get a bad crimp.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Where can one get the best open barrel connectors?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Where can one get the best open barrel connectors?

These are available.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1987285

02/76 Beetle sedan
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Has anyone used these insulators?

When you use them, do you crimp over the insulator? Or do you keep it lower on the wire and slide it up after you make the crimp?

What is a good tool to get nowadays? I have a cheap yet effective Dorman insulated ratcheting crimper. Does anyone know if they make the die for the open barrel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Has anyone used these insulators?

When you use them, do you crimp over the insulator? Or do you keep it lower on the wire and slide it up after you make the crimp?

You slide one of those silicone sleeves onto the wire BEFORE you crimp the end on. When done, they slide up to cover the connector. The small end is too small to slip over the connector once crimped in place.
TIP: slide the sleeve on BEFORE you strip the wire ends.

These are great and I recommend using them when many connectors are close together and you want to make sure they do not touch. They are also useful when you are making a junction that will be laying exposed. Because they are sleeves it means you can slide them back for testing the connector with your MM. Unless you have a collection of VW male-male junctions there will be times you will need to join two wires with a male-female connector junction. Using these sleeves prevents the junction from shorting to ground (or other exposed wires).

Some have said these slide off from the connector, I've not had that problem with good quality silicone sleeves. Though, I did notice that last batch of these I received (Chinese made) were very thin, flimsy and maybe oversized. The older ones I have are thicker, hold their shape much better and offer a tighter fit over the connector. I will have to see if the new flimsy ones will shrink under heat.
An alternative to the silicone sleeves is to slip heat shrink tubing over the connector and shrink it over the outer conductive parts. Cut the tubing slightly long so you need to trim the end just beyond the exposed end of the connector. This prevents them from shorting to ground even if they come loose. These won't come off and are a perfect fit once shrunk. Also, you can install them AFTER you crimp the connector to the wire. So no need to remember to install it before crimping. I can't tell you how many times I have had to snip off the connector because I forgot to put the sleeve on first. The one downside of heat shrink tubing is it makes troubleshooting slightly more difficult. You cannot slide the sleeve back. You either need to pull the connector off the terminal slightly so you can get a probe tip in or use a very pointy probe that can pierce the insulation.

Frodge wrote:
I have a cheap yet effective Dorman insulated ratcheting crimper. Does anyone know if they make the die for the open barrel?

I found a link for just the jaws that go into the end of ratchet crimpers:
https://www.ebay.com/i/192737692470
But there is no guarantee they will fit YOUR crimper. I did a search for Dorman crimpers and the pic show six screws holding the jaws in place. Most ratchet crimpers only use two screws. Maybe you could just use the middle screws with the replacement jaws, assuming the holes line up. You may just need to buy them and try... or find a buddy that has a set and test fit his/her jaws in your crimper?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Best wire crimping tool? Reply with quote

I'm sourcing AMP style female wire connectors. Was going to buy online the solid brass style - until I saw the tin coated Brass was more expensive - so I looked into why ( as usual, researching things to death ! ). It appears the tin coated ones are more conductive and do not oxidize as quickly as the stock brass ones.

Anyone want to chime in here to add their .02. I'm doing about 20 of these buggers and want to choose the best material ( short of silver, gold or platinum ).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: