Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cut in between manifold cylinders
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

Have a very strange question.
Why is there a cut between two manifold ?
Picture has been attached
Thank u
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

Docrav,
Here's my reasoning:

First some background data on intake cam timing and duration. A quick search yielded the following info. I don't know if it is exact, but is directionally sufficient.

intake opens 7.5deg Before TDC and closes 37deg After BDC. It remains open a bit after BDC as the momentum of the AF mixture has built up at the bottom part of the suction stroke and the AF mixture keeps filling up the cylinder even though the piston has started moving upwards.

Now let's look at where the cylinders are in the cycle when Cyl 1 is at TDC at the start of the suction stroke.
Cyl 1 - TDC at start of suction stroke
Cyl 4 - BDC at start of exhaust stroke
Cyl 3 - TDC at start of combustion stroke
Cyl 2 - BDC at end of suction stroke/start of compression stroke

Let's look at just Cyl 1 and 2. When Cyl 1 is near TDC before the suction stroke, the intake is about to open (at 7.5 deg BTDC). At this point Cyl 2 is still completing its suction stroke and the intake valve there is still open for another 44.5 (7.5+37) degrees. The AF mixture momentum is keeping the AF going towards Cyl 2 even as Cyl 2 intake closes further.

Since Cyl 1 intake has started opening, the small channel between 1 and 2 allows the AF flow to start diverting from the #2 manifold into the #1 cylinder and gets the AF flowing into #1 faster.

Similarly #3 benefits from #4.

#2/#4 does not get the same benefit from #1/#3. When #2 is at TDC and intake valve has started opening, #1 was in the exhaust cycle and there was no AF mixture movement in that branch of the manifold that can aid #2. Same for the other pair.

Don't know if this is the correct explanation. Just my reasoning based on me trying to explain why it would be there.

(Sometimes the best way to get the correct answer is to post the wrong one)
Smile
Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
docrav46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Docrav,
Here's my reasoning:

First some background data on intake cam timing and duration. A quick search yielded the following info. I don't know if it is exact, but is directionally sufficient.

intake opens 7.5deg Before TDC and closes 37deg After BDC. It remains open a bit after BDC as the momentum of the AF mixture has built up at the bottom part of the suction stroke and the AF mixture keeps filling up the cylinder even though the piston has started moving upwards.

Now let's look at where the cylinders are in the cycle when Cyl 1 is at TDC at the start of the suction stroke.
Cyl 1 - TDC at start of suction stroke
Cyl 4 - BDC at start of exhaust stroke
Cyl 3 - TDC at start of combustion stroke
Cyl 2 - BDC at end of suction stroke/start of compression stroke

Let's look at just Cyl 1 and 2. When Cyl 1 is near TDC before the suction stroke, the intake is about to open (at 7.5 deg BTDC). At this point Cyl 2 is still completing its suction stroke and the intake valve there is still open for another 44.5 (7.5+37) degrees. The AF mixture momentum is keeping the AF going towards Cyl 2 even as Cyl 2 intake closes further.

Since Cyl 1 intake has started opening, the small channel between 1 and 2 allows the AF flow to start diverting from the #2 manifold into the #1 cylinder and gets the AF flowing into #1 faster.

Similarly #3 benefits from #4.

#2/#4 does not get the same benefit from #1/#3. When #2 is at TDC and intake valve has started opening, #1 was in the exhaust cycle and there was no AF mixture movement in that branch of the manifold that can aid #2. Same for the other pair.

Don't know if this is the correct explanation. Just my reasoning based on me trying to explain why it would be there.

(Sometimes the best way to get the correct answer is to post the wrong one)
Smile
Byas

thank you so much for your response ! Very technical indeed but makes sense really
We shall continue the discussion on the vw group Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

Balancing the intake charge between the two ports. That's my guess. Kind of like running the balancing tube between the two sides on dual carbs.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

I agree with VW_Jimbo although I would call it more like a "scavenging" device to remove unusable fuel from the manifold side that is NOT needing the fuel.

My simplistic explanation is that the fuel from the single carburettor is available for both sides of the manifold but will preferentially go into the manifold where the inlet valve is open due to the vacuum. However some must still be able to enter the static manifold which may remain albeit very temporarily in an unburnt "slug". When its intake valve does open, you may get a temporarily rich fuel mixture in that cylinder until it flushes through the new fuel.

The split between the two manifolds allows this residual slug to be removed from the static manifold i.e. a balancing/scavenging tube.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

The bottom line is that it was an attempt to even out the idle, due to the fact that the VW engine have exceptionally long intake runners on the intake manifold.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

viiking wrote:

My simplistic explanation is that the fuel from the single carburettor is available for both sides of the manifold but will preferentially go into the manifold where the inlet valve is open due to the vacuum. However some must still be able to enter the static manifold which may remain albeit very temporarily in an unburnt "slug". When its intake valve does open, you may get a temporarily rich fuel mixture in that cylinder until it flushes through the new fuel.

The split between the two manifolds allows this residual slug to be removed from the static manifold i.e. a balancing/scavenging tube.

Are you saying that - say when Cyl 1 is in suction and most of the AF flowing towards it, some of the AF may end up in the Cyl 2 branch, and the opening allows this portion to go back to Cyl 1? And, correspondingly the same effect on the other cylinders?

So it primarily acts as a return passage for any misdirected AF mixture.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
viiking wrote:

Are you saying that - say when Cyl 1 is in suction and most of the AF flowing towards it, some of the AF may end up in the Cyl 2 branch, and the opening allows this portion to go back to Cyl 1? And, correspondingly the same effect on the other cylinders?

So it primarily acts as a return passage for any misdirected AF mixture.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. My opinion.

The reasoning that others have given re long intake runs and in an effort to improve the idle are all symptoms of my assertion. If you get a slug of unburnt fuel in one cylinder, when the intake opens and sucks it in, followed by fuel being drawn in by the vacuum could, in my opinion cause "lumpy" idling.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cut in between manifold cylinders Reply with quote

I get the first part. But not the second part - “slug” causing lumpy idle - for 2 reasons.

First, Even if there is a slug there - the new incoming share for cylinder 2 will face the same effect and only 95pct will come down the cyl 2 branch with the remainder going to cyl 1. So it effectively gets a full charge. Even if the AF slug were present early, ignition only happens much later - post compression. So it should not matter.
Second, the same effect happens on all cylinders so should be an even effect.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: