Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baconator200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question Reply with quote

Hi, I am very new to the VW community and have a few questions.

I have a 1975 transporter with a 2.0L FI engine

1. When I start go to start my bus I can hear the fuel pump prime the system and then the bus starts but once I start driving the fuel pump becomes ridiculously loud. The pump almost sounds like its gurgling.
Is my pump faulty or maybe is it sucking in air?

2. My second problem is whenever I hit a bump on the road I hear loud banging right under the shifter. Are my bushings worn out on the shift tube or could it be something else im not aware of?

3. When driving on the highway at 70mph my bus will randomly stutter. I don't know if the engine is dropping a cylinder for a second then picking it back up. It might be caused by either spark or fuel. I'm ruling out spark because every part of the ignition system has been replaced.

I will appreciate any help or advice that is given and will try and stay as active as I can on this page.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question Reply with quote

Welcome!

Loud fuel pumps usually indicate crap in the gas tank partially blocking the outlet or a clogged fuel filter.

A noise over bumps from under the front floor could be many things, start by having a couple buddies bounce the bus up and down on the front bumper to see if you can make the noise, if it does get underneath where you won't get crushed and isolate where it comes from.

The highway stutter probably relates to question #1.

Does your fuel pump run before the engine is started?, it shouldn't do that. Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Baconator200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question Reply with quote

Yes, my fuel pump does run before the engine starts. I figured this was the bus priming the system but it sounds like something is wrong.

I will do what you suggested tomorrow and see if I can recreate the noise.

I will post my findings tomorrow once I get some time.

Thank you for your feedback!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question Reply with quote

Try tightening your shock absorber bolts
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question Reply with quote

The stutter at 70mph can be so many things. Could be worn tracks on the air flow meter. Could be a timing issue. Does it happen right away or only after a long period of driving? Have you tested/replaced the TSII? Is all your cooling tin in place? Have you checked/adjusted the valves? Have you replaced the fuel and air filters? How are the spark plugs? Tried running some injector cleaner? Check to see that the FI grounds under the intake plenum are really really tight. Check your battery negative strap to see that it's tight and making good contact on the body. Check all FI connections.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question Reply with quote

I'm betting on the clogged fuel filter.

Mine started whirring very loud at a different higher pitch, and I found my fuel filter chock full of sediment.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question Reply with quote

X2 on the shock bolts, but check that the steering dampner isn't loose also. Also there's a bushing at the front end of the shift rod that just falls off sometimes, 211 711 182. It may even be something as simple as the undercarriage cover plate being loose.

I have the same stuttering problem but it just happens randomly on an otherwise perfectly running car, so I'm all ears, but I would think that with breaking up at 70 mph a rev-limiting rotor might be in your distributor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Bus Fuel Pump and Question Reply with quote

Noisy fuel pump...could be loose or rubbing on the frame- its suppose to be mounted on rubber bumper. Also have a google on "cavitation"...

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: