Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duane Wakida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm in the process of making the last push to finish my split. I meant to start a build thread a couple years ago but it just didn't happen and now that I'm back on it, there will be several questions to ask the experts to get the details as close as I can. The car is numbers matching body and pan with a little bit later 25hp. Although it wasn't pretty, it wasn't terrible to start with (well some might think it was pretty terrible). It was very solid where most aren't and was located less than a half hour from my house (NO small feat considering I'm in Vancouver Canada where vw's weren't even imported until a couple years after this car.)
I've owned almost 90 vw's from all years and types in the past ( I know some of you are saying "wow that's a lot, are you nuts" and a few are saying "that's nothing, that's only a couple years worth"), but a decent split had managed to elude me until this car. It was imported from Sweden years ago bouncing through a few hands unwilling to tackle the project.
I bought it in 2014 but started work on it in late 2015 with a trip to the media blaster to see what I really had. Here's a couple shots as it went and how it returned

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Duane Wakida on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

BIG PROJECT

keep us updated.
Duane Wakida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

When it came back, I was pleased to see it wasn't much worse than expected. I knew the heater channels weren't perfect and the pans had plenty of pinholes. I thought long and hard about trying to keep them but knew I wanted a nice car underneath. With Gerson's metal now available it was a no brainer to replace pans and channels and I'm very glad I did. They fit great as expected and feature all the correct details the split freaks look for (ever notice it's the guy driving a 73 super beetle that wants to beat you up because your split has a couple bolt on bits that are from a year later car?!).
So after a couple years of on and off work most of the metal and bodywork were completed. It took a little longer than expected but it is now very correct from a metalwork standpoint. Correct original hood, doors and all fenders, good gaps and all wheel wells carefully detailed to look as they should. This might not be a Buddy Hale redo but I wanted a nice car. Finally October 2017 it was time to shoot the Bordeaux this car came in in 1951. This was another tough decision as my 21 window and ghia convertible were both nice base clear, but I wanted this to be more 51 correct than pretty, so single stage urethane enamel over light primer as original was the choice. As many have said before it is a very strange colour, looking anything from brown to black depending on light, but I love it !!

Last edited by Duane Wakida on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duane Wakida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

I was originally going to go stock but came across a deal I couldn't pass up for an oval that included thousands of dollars of new in box suspension bits. Before I knew it the pan was finished with 4 wheel vented slotted discs, 4 inch narrowed atomwerks beam and tie rods, Bilstein shocks and atomwerks drop plates, basically new everything. Nothing has been modified and I have all the original suspension bits from cotter pin to cotter pin up front and rear plates and correct rear brakes too if I ever get the urge to go back stock, but haven't driven a stock height vw in decades so purists don't hold your breath. It's enough for me to know I can go there easily if I want to

So after sitting for almost two years while I reno'd the old house and moved to a new one it's time to get kick started again. Bad pic but she looks like this now.

Still need to put a bunch of trim on, but the interior is almost finished thanks to Ricardo's materials at split parts. Tons more finicky stuff, bumpers on the way, and just a whole bunch of little 'to do' bits, but they are the real fun part for me even tho they always take way longer than you think they should

Last edited by Duane Wakida on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:44 pm; edited 5 times in total
Duane Wakida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

So now for a few questions. Where do you get the trim clips for the body trim? I"ve seen the later style at ww and others but can't find the correct early stuff. Are the witches hats that Ricardo sells correct? The only repops I've seen weren't very correct.
Can I use the round voltage regulator off an oval temporarily while I get my D rebuilt to test fire my car ?
Anybody have a left rear ribbed moulding piece?
I've seen guys with correct looking early batteries with all the correct looking stickers etc. I'm assuming they are repops. Who supplies them?
I only have the gas tank and cap and need the petcock and reserve lever and whatever other small bits are associated. Anyone have a picture or list of what else I need. Thanks in advance all as I'm sure many more questions will be coming.
Cheers
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

do not order anything from Ricardos site, looks like he in prison for arms dealings. Shocked
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Looking Good Duane. Is this car in Canada?
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Those deluxe models with that color are to good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Question about the Bordeaux Red. Is it a solid color or does it have some metallic in it?
Duane Wakida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Solid colour no metallic from what I can tell. It’s a very strange opaque bright purple in the can. Couldn’t believe it was the right colour until about the third coat.
Hey Patrick, yes the car is in Canada now. A Swedish transplant but now registered in Canada. What’s happening with your car ? Easily one of my favourites all time. Hated to see the pictures after the accident.

So my friend had a bad experience with kaefer-nastalgie to the tune of $1200 and Ricardo is in jail, so where can I buy the little bits I need now? Any legit sellers left ?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Duane Wakida wrote:

So my friend had a bad experience with kaefer-nastalgie to the tune of $1200 and Ricardo is in jail, so where can I buy the little bits I need now? Any legit sellers left ?

No, not for reproduction split beetle parts. Your best bet is to keep hunting for original parts.

That being said, I've always gotten good service from kafer nostalgie
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

I never was one for Bordeaux red, but I was wrong the whole time. Dang!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Stunning color.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Duane Wakida wrote:

No, not for reproduction split beetle parts. Your best bet is to keep hunting for original parts.

You're lucky, my last dealing with him was less than satisfactory, and I swore never to deal with him again - for car parts that is, and not guns! Are there any press links to what he was up to, and why he isn't around?
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

What paint manufacturer did you use? That looks accurate.....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

I've never been a red car guy, but this red on a Beetle has always been one of my favorites.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
sled wrote:
Duane Wakida wrote:

You're lucky, my last dealing with him was less than satisfactory, and I swore never to deal with him again - for car parts that is, and not guns! Are there any press links to what he was up to, and why he isn't around?

There are some links in Ricardo's feedback thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=177680
Look at the last page here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duane Wakida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Ya I’v never been a fan of red cars ever since I painted a red ghia 30 years ago, but this one started out Bordeaux so I really felt there wasn’t much choice. A great color especially in bright light. I fought trying to find the right colour mix because my usual DuPont guy couldn’t do it in solvent only water. Could have used glasurit but would have had to ship and got scared it would be wrong and no return policy at $800 usd per gallon 😳. A local shop recommended RM so that’s what I used but got super scared when I first applied it as it went down Barney purple the first 2 coats over the light primer (I usually use tinted primers but Vw didn’t and it really affects the final colour so I went light as original. ) I think it’s pretty correct split dog. Looks a lot like your car last time I was down and saw it, just about 150hp less 😂.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Right on. It does look right. I've seen a lot that aren't, and I know that can't feel good.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Feb 1951 Bordeaux red deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Hi Duane, any updates on your Bug? Is it now finished? Post up some new pics Smile
1964 Chop Top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: