Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
We weight it a new time yesterday. Yeap, 5000 lbs fully load, water, 2 peoples in front, baby in rear and 2 bikes.
So, probably around 4500 lbs for the ready to drive van alone.
Anyway, I need stiffer spring in front to lift it at least 1 inch.
Advice?

Hey Yan, if you can't find a set of 1985 Westy springs I'd go with these Schwenk springs.
https://www.vancafe.com/2WDSprings-p/2wdsp.htm

From the look of the sample van on that page the ride height is quite similar to my'84 tin top. Your van is a LOT heavier but not off the charts. We roll at 4880lbs loaded for a bluegrass festival and still have plenty of suspension travel.

Bon voyage!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

I'm wondering if Ford F150/250 front springs might be more appropriate for the weight involved.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Not sure why your springs are bottomed at that weight. My ‘87 westy in 2015 on the Alaska trip was heavily loaded at 5800 lbs and still had good suspension travel.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

I don't have any advice on the front but I did the coilover shocks in the rear of my Westy with good results. Gained a bit of clearance and rides more level while overloaded. I found the idea here (couldn't re-locate it today though). I will take a look at them when I get home and post a pic and p/n.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Not sure why your springs are bottomed at that weight. My ‘87 westy in 2015 on the Alaska trip was heavily loaded at 5800 lbs and still had good suspension travel.

Exactly. That's why I was recommending quality OEM replacements instead of the more experimental solutions.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

The suspension don't bottom, but it seem that it don't travel very well.
Over the 5000 lbs, 2700 are in front. That maybe my problem.

Slightly bigger tires will lift the front 3/4" and I expect new coil spring to give me another inch.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
dobryan wrote:

The suspension don't bottom, but it seem that it don't travel very well.
Over the 5000 lbs, 2700 are in front. That maybe my problem.

Slightly bigger tires will lift the front 3/4" and I expect new coil spring to give me another inch.

Taller tires will not give you more suspension travel, they just raise the centerline height of the axle. But the new springs hopefully will help you get what you want.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

10 000 km done in this trip (6200 miles) with a lot of fun.
Today, +1400m (4600 fts) and - 1200m (4000 fts) on a part of the scenic roads between Moab and Bryce.
So much fun to drive on the curvy mountain road with the 200hp available, but above all, the 80hp available (regen) to slow down the van just before a curve.
This powertrain is just awesome!
The only thing better than this could only be a 4x4 version with 400hp Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Few pic of the trip.

mount rainier road

After Moab

A bit of off road, but nothing crazy with 5'' of clearance in front. Bigger tires and new coil spring to lift the front to 7'' will be better.

In 2013, during a 16 000km bike trip, I sleeped in this arche with my brother and 100 kg of rocks to keep our tent in place despite the strong wind. So nice to pass by the same roads 6 years later with my wife I meeted during this bike trip.

Colorado river
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

No recommendation for the front, but I wish I had your problem in the rear.

I've got gowesty 1-1/2" in the rear, and unlike the front that sagged out 3 separate times to 16", the rear are still 18-1/2".

So my van has this ridiculous looking raked profile that I would love to change.

Btw, I'm right around 5,000 pounds also.

I guess I'll probably get some body to trailing arm straps to limit the height.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Great phots Yan, thanks for sharing! Very Happy
www.thebassspa.com
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

levi wrote:

I've got gowesty 1-1/2" in the rear, and unlike the front that sagged out 3 separate times to 16", the rear are still 18-1/2".

What kind of front coil spring do you have? Gowesty or regular coil?
My front suspension sagged at 14'' from hub center to under the fender lip. I read that should be 17''.
3 inches to gain in my case?

From Vancafe: An empty Westy will have a ride height of roughly 17 to 17.25 inches measuring from the center of the wheel/axle to the lower lip of the fender.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
levi wrote:

What kind of front coil spring do you have? Gowesty or regular coil?
My front suspension sagged at 14'' from hub center to under the fender lip. I read that should be 17''.
3 inches to gain in my case?

From Vancafe: An empty Westy will have a ride height of roughly 17 to 17.25 inches measuring from the center of the wheel/axle to the lower lip of the fender.

I wouldn't put much trust in what gowesty claims about their springs.

As I said the original lift springs in the back are still at 18 1/2" after several years but 3 separate sets of their front lift springs went from over 18 or 18-1/2" to 16 or 16-1/2" in just a couple months.

It may be true that only some of their front lift springs sagged, it may be that their supplier now has better manufacturing processes, I don't know.

Currently I have moog 5660 up front and they are at 16 1/2"

There was a company in Europe that I considered buying a metal spacer from, which would have gone on top of the front springs to gain approx 1", but I decided several hundred $ for it to be prohibitive.

Btw, the moog springs were 50 $ for the pair at autozone/pep boys place, very cheap to experiment with, and since the free-standing height of the springs is actually shorter than the stock springs no spring clamp was necessary to install.
The gain in height is because of a higher spring rate than stock.

Some have voiced opinions about the 5660 being too harsh because of the high spring rate, but with my heavy van I like it.
Just too bad that they aren't higher.

Some folks prefer the moog 5658 instead because its a softer spring rate. Ymmv and all that.

5660 spring on the left, stock spring on the right.

Also thought about putting a spacer(s) on top and welding metal across to prevent a pop-out.
I can come up with lots of bad ideas.

gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

You Quebecois are crazy - in a good way. Not only are you totally into camping, but you think you can do anything - and you do!

I love it!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

levi wrote:
I wouldn't put much trust in what gowesty claims about their springs.

As I said the original lift springs in the back are still at 18 1/2" after several years but 3 separate sets of their front lift springs went from over 18 or 18-1/2" to 16 or 16-1/2" in just a couple months.

It may be true that only some of their front lift springs sagged, it may be that their supplier now has better manufacturing processes, I don't know.

Currently I have moog 5660 up front and they are at 16 1/2"

Lot of good infos here Levi. thanks.
So the Moog 5660 are for chevy and GMC small truck. As you said, at only 50$ it's probably way more interesting to try than spend 4 time more for a unknow solution.
Seem like the best solution for me know. At worst I will have new spring and the van will still sit at 14'' Rolling Eyes

Is there some special thing to do for the installation or is there are the same as VW spring?
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Yabert,

PM'd you, I have a free set of MOOG 5660 for you, in the Laurentide/Montreal area if you can wait for your return to change your springs.

Nothing special about installation on a 2wd. They are quite a bit stiffer than regular spring and give you a bit of lift. Would be a good option in your case.

Thanks

Mat
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Awesome Mathieu! I contact you at our return in two weeks.... or more if we don't find enough charge station on our 4500 km return roads Laughing

It was so a nice relaxing day yesterday on the beach of lake powell.
Drive the van on the sand was really nice, even when it's was to go over a 50 fts portion of soft sand.
At this moment, I realized that the van was surfing on the sand with the battery touching the sand more than really rolling on the sand Wink
Sadly we didn't stay on the beach for the night as we have to fully fill the battery at the campground for our long trip today.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

This may of been asked already, but how do you heat yourselves inside when needed? Your current climate should be warm days and cold nights. How about them cold drive times?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

What a MAJOR makeover!

AMAZING!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 24

Jump to: