Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

Bill:
I wish I had known about the shut off valve integrated in the square top fuel pump sooner.... I just put the VW away for the winter.
I'll be ordering one in the spring to replace the after-market pump currently on my generator equipped '70. Looking to cure the mildly annoying flooding I experience when parking the car on an incline. Read the reviews and have seen pictures of your work... very impressive! Will contact you in the spring. Thanks for the information!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

jlex wrote:
Bill:
I wish I had known about the shut off valve integrated in the square top fuel pump sooner.... I just put the VW away for the winter.
I'll be ordering one in the spring to replace the after-market pump currently on my generator equipped '70. Looking to cure the mildly annoying flooding I experience when parking the car on an incline. Read the reviews and have seen pictures of your work... very impressive! Will contact you in the spring. Thanks for the information!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the nice words! Your 1970 bug would of had a square top fuel pump mounted when new. The above picture shows a factory photo of a dual port 1971 engine with the square top mounted. Late in 1971, VW went to a cheaper, non-rebuildable fuel pump.

Here's a picture I grabbed from somewhere of an original 1970 bug engine with less than 20k miles on it with the square top fuel pump mounted.

Short side story- I had a customer who is the original owner of a 1969 bug send me his original square top fuel pump on his bug to rebuild. It was still working fine after 50 years. He said it was the original fuel pump to his car and he'd never done anything to it. I was somewhat skeptical until I saw the pump. It was an original Pierburg fuel pump that was installed on the factory floor. They are date stamped differently than the replacement pumps sold at the dealership. The date code matched to his year VW. The pump did still work too! He wanted it overhauled with new OEM Effbe diaphragms as he wasn't trusting it after 50 years of use. I think he got his money worth in getting 50 years out of his fuel pump!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
jlex wrote:
Bill:

Thanks for the nice words! Your 1970 bug would of had a square top fuel pump mounted when new. The above picture shows a factory photo of a dual port 1971 engine with the square top mounted. Late in 1971, VW went to a cheaper, non-rebuildable fuel pump.

Here's a picture I grabbed from somewhere of an original 1970 bug engine with less than 20k miles on it with the square top fuel pump mounted.

Short side story- I had a customer who is the original owner of a 1969 bug send me his original square top fuel pump on his bug to rebuild. It was still working fine after 50 years. He said it was the original fuel pump to his car and he'd never done anything to it. I was somewhat skeptical until I saw the pump. It was an original Pierburg fuel pump that was installed on the factory floor. They are date stamped differently than the replacement pumps sold at the dealership. The date code matched to his year VW. The pump did still work too! He wanted it overhauled with new OEM Effbe diaphragms as he wasn't trusting it after 50 years of use. I think he got his money worth in getting 50 years out of his fuel pump!

How did the diaphragm actually look on his original?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

I do apologize that I can not find a receipt or a number on the fuel filter. It was a from the warehouse at autoone, it was not something they stocked at my store. The filter has 1/4 inch barbs (a bit big) and was made of steel. I want to say it was a metal g1.. but dont hold me to that. I also recall that it filtered to 10 microns,,, maybe??? sorry about not having specifics.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

PaytonD21 wrote:
If the float is faulty and doesn't shut the valve wouldn't the bowl over fill and leak? Even with the car off?

Not unless you have a tank that doesn't vent or an electric fuel pump that doesn't shut off.

There are ultra violet dyes that can be added to liqids to find leaks. I used them all the time for engine oil and coolant leaks as well as AC leaks. all you would need is a few drops in a cup of fuel fill the float bowl, wait for it to drain and use a black light to see where the leak is.

brad
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

jlex wrote:
Looking to cure the mildly annoying flooding I experience when parking the car on an incline.

Just a comment on fuel flowing while parked, especially nose up on a hill or even on a flat surface...

The fuel tank changed when VW introduced the SB. Here is a pic of the SB trunk:

Here is a STD Beetle:

Note how much closer to the dash the SB tank sits. That means it rests higher off the ground. I don't have a SB to confirm this but others have mentioned that the fuel tank being higher up front can result in fuel siphoning into the carb even when parked on a flat surface. Parking a SB nose-uphill would just make this situation even worse. So some of these problems (no valve in the fuel pump) may be more common w/ SBs than STD Beetles.

Just a thought, maybe someone can test this...
If between the fuel pump and the carb you install a length of hose and raise the fuel filter ABOVE the carb, could this create an air pocket that would prevent the siphoning effect? Often I've seen the cheap "see thru" fuel filters placed between the pump and carb go empty with the engine off especially when placed up at the carb inlet level or higher. This may not work with just a hose alone as the narrow diameter of the hose would increase the siphoning effect, but the larger diameter of the fuel filter could be useful as a means of stopping this effect.

I just thought of this possible solution because I was looking at replacing my home dishwasher and the installation instructions indicate the drain hose should be run UP higher than the disposal drain to avoid siphoning.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

Ashman:
Sounds like a solution, although I'm sold on just changing out my aftermarket pump for an original style one knowing there are good refurbished ones available. I should have gone back to original years ago.

Bill:
Thanks for uploading the picture of the '70 engine. Nice to see an unmolested example: throttle regulator intact and shield over the crank pulley nut! Missing those items although I'm running the original 30pict3 carb and original 205T distributor (both overhauled). Another nice feature on these '70 single ports was the rain tray to keep everything tidy... Save a good pump for me to buy in the Spring!
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

Ashman - That is an interesting observation. My 72 SB and my 73 SB had the rounded later model fuel pump that did not have the ant-siphoning ability the earlier pumps had, however I did have the inline round anti-siphoning item mentioned earlier in the thread.

I had never seen one of the inline one until I started working on my 72 SB (Original owner). I would make sense they started adding those on SBs for the reason you mention of having a higher tank mount position.
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

jlex wrote:

That's a very nice looking engine ya got there! Wink

You have some rare and original 1970 hardware in place that catches my purist hearts attention-

* The bowden cable for the warm air inlet on the oil bath. Nice!
* Your throttle positioner and altitude positioner hooked up. Does it work?
* Rain train in place on the engine lid.
* It looks like you have the original "short" Bosch coil? Rare these days. I never see NOS 12 volt short coils with the correct dark brown bakelite top.
* Correct generator pulley.
* 113905205T distributor

Overall, it's a beauty!

A couple of things to consider adding to your purist, originality shopping list; besides the German Pierburg fuel pump. A correct Bosch 1235522183 dark brown Bakelite distributor cap. They are VERY difficult to find these days but they were what was mounted in 1970 when your bug was new. The correct fresh air paper hoses and VW logo clamps. Wolfsburg West sells them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

Bill:
Thanks. I've tried to keep it as original as possible. Throttle positioner was taken off and left off when I had the carb rebushed. Also, I updated the coil simply as a preventative maintenance measure. Still have it around somewhere. Here's a pic of the car.
Was daughter driven a year in high school and four years in college. Got her a Honda for optometry school. She's out now and practicing so I'm now the caretaker. Wink

[/img]

don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

My 34 pict 3 had a hot carb flooding issue recently.

COLD engine:
Starts easy and idles great

HOT engine after 5 mins:
crank for 4 or more seconds before it would fire.

My float needle passed the sticking test when last checked.

I got a mirror and looked into the carb throat (I have a 67 bus), and saw fuel seeping down the carb throat.

I pinched the fuel line and the flooding seemed to stop.
Previously when i did this the flooding did not stop, but I changed out parts using a carb rebuild kit a few weeks back. Now in only floods when fuel line is not pinched.

I decided to just change the needle valve above the float, and it stopped the flooding and the engine starts the same, cold or hot.

Using my finger to see where the slight whistling noise was coming from during the flooding. (It sounded like a distant kettle just starting to boil)

I have a few carb to try parts from

So in my case it was the needle valve that looked good, but didn't operate the same when hot.

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

I've ordered and received the Pierburg fuel pump from Bill .... it's a real beauty. Need to get the car out of storage so I can install it and see if it cures the uphill flooding situation.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

You guys may be overthinking it. If it leaks out leting a few drops out of the overflow tube that could just be gas condensation. When the bowl gets hot after a drive it will release some drops and smell because the fuel wants to boil. Totally normal. Now if it is to the point where you are flooding over maybe a big cause for concern. Buy a Toyota they will run perfect or swap to fuel injection. Lol
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

andrewvwclassic wrote:
You guys may be overthinking it. If it leaks out leting a few drops out of the overflow tube that could just be gas condensation. When the bowl gets hot after a drive it will release some drops and smell because the fuel wants to boil. Totally normal. Now if it is to the point where you are flooding over maybe a big cause for concern. Buy a Toyota they will run perfect or swap to fuel injection. Lol

This post is about flooding carbs, the second issue you are saying that we are overthinking.
What do you suggest for that?

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro

Last edited by don.ville on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

I had flooding issues on 2 different cars/carbs (one a KG with a dual port 1600 and the other a Typ 3 with twin carbs). Both were caused by needle valve not closing fully. Replacing the valves stopped the issue.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
VW put anti siphon valves on some cars, but most previous owners have removed them because "you don't need that".

Which section is from the tank to the fuel pump and which is out to the carb....?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
andrewvwclassic wrote:

This post is about flooding carbs, the second issue you are saying that we are overthinking.
What do you suggest for that?

I was just saying those little drips out of the overflow tube are just percolation, a well known occurrence. It is like decantered water if you boil water in a flask and run a coil tube to the top of the flask the resulting vapor becomes liquid again. seemed to me that dumping from the overflow would be a needle valve not closing or being overcome somehow, yes there could be a thousand reasons but I guess there is only one answer to the question is it cheaper or more convenient to find the cause of the problem or buy a new carburetor. I love taking my car to the VW tech to have him dicking around with carbs all day just to find that I payed hime more than a brand new set would cost. LOL it is the world we live in Sad
Ghiamansanantonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb problem! Dumping gas into engine after it's shut off. Reply with quote

I have noticed that when I park on a hill where the nose is facing up the hill it dumps and doesn't stop but if I have the engine higher then the front of the car it wont do that. So maybe that's your answer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: