Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Big Brake Kit?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Kit?
GoWesty
29%
 29%  [ 13 ]
Burley
40%
 40%  [ 18 ]
SmallCar
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Other
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 44

WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

We're going to pull the trigger on big brakes in the next few months, so I'm excited to follow this thread. I keep going back to the Burley kit because none of it is really proprietary and probably easier to replace parts than the GW kit (which seems to go out of stock regularly). It looks like Burley recently switched from dual piston to single piston?
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Epytec kit with car-part.com (or wherever) Boxster S calipers and off the shelf Mercedes S-Class discs seems nice...they have other options

https://epytec.de/en/brake-system/adapters/1101/br...ake-system

I wonder if these work with a Syncro
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not quite sure I want to do a custom one. Burley is looking good because of the availability of parts
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:
Epytec kit with car-part.com (or wherever) Boxster S calipers and off the shelf Mercedes S-Class discs seems nice...they have other options

This kit is for the syncro

https://epytec.de/en/brake-system/adapters/2283/vw...er-adapter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
SyncroChrick wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:

This kit is for the syncro

https://epytec.de/en/brake-system/adapters/2283/vw...er-adapter

Thanks. Looking at this, it looks like it's using rear calipers. I am not sure how much of an improvement that would be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Yes, I believe you are correct. I have found some details on the piston sizes:

2 x 28mm
2 x 30mm

Seems a little small
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

If you buy the GW kit, you don't have to go to them for replacement parts. Yeah, they contracted with a brake part manufacturer to design and build the BBK, but they used off the shelf parts to do it. The caliper bracket and disks are from one car, the caliper and pads from another. They work great together, and with the E36 booster upgrade, I've never been happier with my brakes.

The only time my brakes showed any weakness was last year, driving in the Austrian Alps, we had to follow a farmers tractor down a 3 kilometer, 12% grade hill, with no chance to pass. As in, we were forced to drive his speed, and drag the brakes constantly. Stink, smoke, brake fade, it all happened. The van sits at 2060 kg normally, but packed for a two week driving holiday, it was maybe closer to 2500 kg.
I have to say, this is the only time I ever had any issue with these brakes. When we got back home, I gave the system a thorough once over, and found no issues. Scuffed up the pads a bit, shaved maybe .01mm from the disks, and all was right with the world!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Hi
Anybody tried the Burley BBK on Syncro with the CLKs?
Would it fit without spacers?
Thx
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

vik wrote:
Hi
Anybody tried the Burley BBK on Syncro with the CLKs?
Would it fit without spacers?
Thx

I do. No issues.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Thank you
Actually - the caliper is single pot, right?
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

After reading this thread I do like the idea of porsche brakes ,but I fell victum to gowesties 15% off sale last weekend and in a moment of weakness bought their brake kit and hubs. So you can put me down for gowesty. I wanted something uncomplicated. The price and discount and simplicity pushed me over the edge. I hope I was not penny wise and dollar foolish regarding possible proprietary parts needed down the road. At least the brake pads are standard.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

^^^ I don’t believe you’ll regret this choice. It’s a good solution that works darn well. Different solutions work well for others. Simple as that.

Enjoy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Considering upgrading the brakes front & rear, any other brake systems to consider or are these the go-to options?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

calsurf wrote:
Considering upgrading the brakes front & rear, any other brake systems to consider or are these the go-to options?

Are you looking for plug and play?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Here is how I did mine (1985 old style brakes) to Audi 312mm front brakes.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
calsurf wrote:

Are you looking for plug and play?

Open to all ideas.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

For DIY, I brought up to light the Jaguar 4 piston caliper. Search Jaguar caliper on the forum.

It's a pretty cheap option but will not fit all wheels. It does fit the popular 16" forged Fuchs found on Mercedes CLK.

Some people later found out the Jaguar rotor actually fit well with it.

I can confirm the match is great on a post 85 spindle 2WD.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
For DIY, I brought up to light the Jaguar 4 piston caliper. Search Jaguar caliper on the forum.

It's a pretty cheap option but will not fit all wheels. It does fit the popular 16" forged Fuchs found on Mercedes CLK.

Some people later found out the Jaguar rotor actually fit well with it.

I can confirm the match is great on a post 85 spindle 2WD.

Agreed Alex!
I'm still running the same jag front big brakes I installed a long time ago... 8-10 years?
Matched to the Epytec Eurovan rear disc brakes. This combo is really good! The bias is very well matched. Plus an excellent handbrake. I couldn't be more pleased with the upgrade.
Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: