Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
Definitely will mood to trim.

Dude??
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

autocorrect Confused

mood = need!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Gunzo131 wrote:
Rubbing where? Fenders?

Rear of the front fender lips and the upper front fender lips near the center when turning and hitting any bumps at all. If you cut the entire fender lip off and cut a bit further back toward the lower rear opening, you may be okay clearance wise, but the wheels would still be poking quite a ways outward and the scrub radius would be all messed up.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Gunzo131
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I’m going to just sell the wheels. No need for the headache. Thanks for all the help everyone!!
kuecker2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have no idea what most of this stuff means. Will these tires fit on my 84 Vanagon GL What adapters will I need? They are a Porsche phone dial
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I found these:

Best I can tell they are off a 2004ish MB E320.

225/55R16 7.5Jx16 ET42 5x112 M14 x 1.5 66.6
225/55R16 8Jx16 ET36 5x112 M14 x 1.5 66.6

Tires are Michelin X-Ice XLs.

It's for a 2WD. My research indicates they should fit but will probably be very tight on the front and will require longer studs? Is this correct?

I really don't want 16s, I want 15s but I can't seem to find any. Anyone know a good source for 15 steel wheels that will fit? THat would make my life so much simpler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kuecker2 wrote:
I have no idea what most of this stuff means. Will these tires fit on my 84 Vanagon GL What adapters will I need? They are a Porsche phone dial

Seven inch wide rim on a 15 inch diameter wheel with an ET (derived number, see below--Vanagons take about 37mm) of 52.3mm that will place the inner edge of the rim and the tire too far in toward the suspension and will rub on something.

I think the Porsche wheels are a 130mm BCD while Vanagons take a 112mm so adapters will be required, and 15mm thick ones will make the ET close to right. I'm sure others will chime in with specific recommendations.

In the left wheel below, the mounting surface of a Vanagon wheel needs to be closer to the centerline of the wheel than your Porsche wheel's mounting surface is.

SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kuecker2 wrote:

Youll need 5x112 to 5x130 adapters. Make sure they have m14x1.5 hardware and a centerbore of at least 66.6mm. Id run 20mm thick in the front and 25mm in the rear
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

how y'all feel about Pacer 60683B steel rims off ebay, 16x6.5 w/center hole 67mm ET41 on an 83AC westy with nokian entyre 2.0 205/65r16s 99H XL. too much drag? need spacers? straight bolt-ons? currently running kumho 857 205s on 14" alloys which are already at 27", nokians are about 26.5. westy is humming along, no problem with temps, just wavy and sloooow up hill. another consideration would be them big brakes, in case i ever go that route. south african rims supposedly should work with big brakes, but almost thrice the price...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks for the steel 16" rim info. I ordered one to try the fit and will report here.
I'll probably use it for the spare if nothing else.

Mark

jerryherb wrote:
how y'all feel about Pacer 60683B steel rims off ebay, 16x6.5 w/center hole 67mm ET41 on an 83AC westy with nokian entyre 2.0 205/65r16s 99H XL.......
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I just found this company that makes custom steel rims.

https://www.corsasteelies.com/wheels
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roger66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Ok I’ve read so much now I’m confused with information overload. I’m looking to put these rims from a Mercedes E420 on my 2wd Vanagon. I have seen these rims talked about on here but can seem to find the information I’m looking for. I know I will need to drill out my lug nut holes, but what about spacers and the actual lug nuts? I just picked all 5 of these up for $100 and want them to fit correctly, thank you in advance for any help.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

You should provide more info. Yes, spacers and longer studs/lugs, as well as different nuts.

What size tire?
What are the factory marking on the inside of the wheels?

Mark
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Roger66 wrote:
Ok I’ve read so much now I’m confused with information overload. I’m looking to put these rims from a Mercedes E420 on my 2wd Vanagon. I have seen these rims talked about on here but can seem to find the information I’m looking for. I know I will need to drill out my lug nut holes, but what about spacers and the actual lug nuts? I just picked all 5 of these up for $100 and want them to fit correctly, thank you in advance for any help.

Yes, more info is necessary. There's at least a dozen factory versions of that wheel (the all look the same/similar) and probably close to that many that were offered by the aftermarket. Factory Mercedes wheels will have the Mercedes symbol next to the part number. Aftermarket will not have that. The size and offset are needed, but having the part number if they are factory is very helpful.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Roger66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I just bought them but don’t have them in my possession until Saturday. I don’t have the part number but they are original Mercedes rims 15”, offset ET44, center bore 66.6, 12mm bolt size, thanks
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

OK, so since ebay just threw down 10% ebay bucks i got a set for my 83AC westy of Nokian CLine Van 205/65r16 with a nokian entyre (1.0) in the same size for a spare. Entyre 1.0 appear to be on clearance and much cheaper now that 2.0 is out. I also got 5 of the aforementioned pacer rims to go with 'em. For my other vanilla 87 transporter (currently with PO's SL-rated H724 s**t tires) i got a replacement set of RA18s 195r14s. We'll see how each performs and what set eventually ends up on the westy. each are D-rated 8-plys, not taking any chances. will also measure the new rims with gowesty template to see if they're suitable for big brake upgrade and report back.

I made my decision after reading he comprehensive guide i found here, its a must read if one's looking for new tires:

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

So it appears the Pacer rims are a decent fit when mounted bare (still waiting on nokian c-lines). the drum 10mm screws do interfere ever so slightly so they need to be removed. the bore being 67mm is a perfect size. i also ordered the pacer through-center caps for them, hope they will fit over the hub hardware. tested with GW rev 2.0 BB template and there is plenty of space, by a large margin, for the GW calipers. 4 rims and caps come in under $230, which seems a much better deal than SA rims of the same size for money conscious buyer. with nokian entyres 1.0 205s (XL) set on clearance one can get a complete 16" wheel upgrade for way under $500. each bare rim weights in at ~35lbs. these are 16x6 so a bit narrower than SA's and the offset is at 41mm as opposed to 30. Once i get the tires mounted will report back whether i get any rubbings in the front, but judging by the new wheel's overall diameter, which is about half inch smaller, i doubt i will have any issues. by my calculations the backside of the wheel/tire will be about 5mm further inside the wheel-well than the same size SA rim.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jerryherb wrote:
So it appears the Pacer rims are a decent fit when mounted bare (still waiting on nokian c-lines). the drum 10mm screws do interfere ever so slightly so they need to be removed. the bore being 67mm is a perfect size. i also ordered the pacer through-center caps for them, hope they will fit over the hub hardware. tested with GW rev 2.0 BB template and there is plenty of space, by a large margin, for the GW calipers. 4 rims and caps come in under $230, which seems a much better deal than SA rims of the same size for money conscious buyer. with nokian entyres 1.0 205s (XL) set on clearance one can get a complete 16" wheel upgrade for way under $500. each bare rim weights in at ~35lbs. these are 16x6 so a bit narrower than SA's and the offset is at 41mm as opposed to 30. Once i get the tires mounted will report back whether i get any rubbings in the front, but judging by the new wheel's overall diameter, which is about half inch smaller, i doubt i will have any issues. by my calculations the backside of the wheel/tire will be about 5mm further inside the wheel-well than the same size SA rim.

No mention of spacers. ?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Nah, If both GW 16x7 and SA 16x7 fit without spacers then another 4.65mm inward with a 16x6.5 and probably a narrower and smaller diameter road (not AT) tire should not interfere with anything. I have some 8mm spacers i got back in the day to put on the front just in case, but probably wont need them. If it does rub up i will report back.
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

OK, tires arrived today (nokian cline van 205/65r16C 8 plys - $336 for the set), still waiting on valve stems. will probably get these mounted tomorrow or the next day. As i was bored at work today i did some math (because math is fun!) to ponder/entertain the idea of spacers and to compare the original steel rims, original alloys, SA/GW rims and the pacer rims i decided to experiment with.

original steelies are 14x5.5 ET37. this puts them 106.85mm inward and 37.85mm outward of the mating surface of the hub. this is roughly a 73/27 ratio

original alloys are 14x6 ET30. 106.2mm inward, 46.2mm outward. ratio ~70/30

SA/GW (no spacers recommended per GW or VC) 16x7 ET30. 118.9mm inward, 58.9mm outward, ratio 67/33

pacers 16x6.5 ET41. 123.55mm inward, 41.55mm outward. ratio roughly 75/25

this puts pacer's center ratio just under the original steelies and its outer edge about halfway between the original steel and alloy rim. However, pacer rim does sink ~17mm deeper into the wheel well than original steel/alloy, but only 4.65mm further than SA/GW rims.

If one were to get a depth distribution ratio almost exact to that of the original alloys and additional clearance of over 3mm than both GW/SA rims (which do not require spacers) an 8mm spacer could potentially be installed, but would require longer acorn bolts and rear studs as the original steel bolts are awfully short and studs may not be long enough (if one also wants spacers on the rear to widen the track).

So far it still seems like a sweet deal for 16" upgrade on a budget, being under $450 (4 pacers - $209 with 4 nokian entyre 1.0 205/65R16XL - $222 ) AND which fits the GW bigger brakes calipers (2.0, probably 1.0 also, but did not test it with a template as 1.0 is NLA) by a large margin WITHOUT spacers.

Of course this is all theoretical as i did not accommodate for the steel gauge of the material used, nor thickness of powder coating. Will test it shortly and report back.

pics of GW 2.0 template and rims below.

Update:
so after the install of pacer rims with nokian cline 205/65/16s WITHOUT spacers the clearance to all suspension points comes about 10-12mm at its closest point at full lock, wheel facing outward. closest point is with the upper wishbone (suspension loaded with the weight of the car and at rest). It also appears rubbing slightly on the brake line, again at full lock wheel facing outward where travel speed would be limited (my lines are stainless with additional rubber hose "protectors" i made around them). with 8mm spacers (the kind GW sells) everything is way clear of the rims and tires including the brake lines. I'd say 5mm spacers are probably a good choice for the front. none needed for the rear. will update again after extensive road tests, but so far so good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 158 of 173

Jump to: