Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Car is on jacks. Finishing up wiring the electric pump and relay. Then the engine will be removed to install the supercharger setup. Very Happy
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Alright. Fuel pump/relay wired up and functioning properly. Only turns on when the engines is cranking/running. Tied in to air ride breaker switch, so it is an emergency cutoff as well. The engine is pulled. Taking everything not needed off. SP intake, mechanical fuel pump, etc. Mocking up the new intake ports. Will be adding vacuum ports to both of them to tie into the Black Box and Boost gauge. Will post pictures after I get done competing the AMR500/Weber DCOE 40 install.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Quick update. Replaced the long fuel pump studs with shorter ones allowing the supercharger mounting bracket to fit and tighten properly. Have the bracket and pulleys installed. Had to buy a pulley removal tool to get the stock crank pulley off. Bought a 5mm .80 tap to drill/tap the vacuum ports on the manifold. Will get those drilled/tapped tomorrow and install the intake manifold. Things are coming along nicely.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Ok... Not sure if anyone is following, but I'm documenting my build as I go. Vacuum ports are drilled, tapped and lines are installed. I used JB Weld on the threads. Seen it in another thread, I think it was in performance/engine/transmission forum. Intake manifold is in place. Started putting the AMR500 on, but I need to tap the mounting holes. Don't think they were used in the past. Here is a teaser pic...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Hi,
Did not had a lot of time recently so no answer but still following with interest so please continue to share! Looking forward to your feedback once completed!
Cheers
Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

AMR500 mounting holes tapped. Got everything mocked up, now to tighten everything down. Have the Weber DCOE 40 in place just to see the overall look. This thing looks bad ass! This was fairly easy to install, some of the manifold bolts on the intake side were difficult to start. Easier to remove the intake manifold off the boot, after that, no problem.

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Popcorn
I love the look and sound of a twin screw blower.
Keep the updates coming.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Me too Emil! Cant wait to hear what she sounds like. Cool
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, while the engine is out, I will be installing a truss bar.
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Looks really nice man Cool

I am really excited if this is really going to work plug and play without any carb-science!

Keep us up to date!

Applause
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Without carb-science... It's been fully re-jetted, new much smaller chokes. Recommend initial setup by Mick from Joeblow. Will probably have a lot of trial and error to achieve best performance though I'm sure.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

It will definitely work. I had one on my '62 bug with a 1385 cc, You will have to address the distributor advance. Meaning you don't want advance with boost. You will also want a boost gauge. You can pick these up for almost nothing , You just need a port somewhere after the supercharger. I drilled a hole in the bottom plate of mine and installed one of those barbed brass fittings.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Nice work thus far, but the SC mount looks a bit flimsy... I'm used to seeing more support.

http://thedubshop.com/amr500-mounting-bracket/

bnc
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks Thomas. Yes, I have a boost gauge. Haven't installed it yet. The advance is controlled by CB Performance Black Box. The dizzy is locked out, and the BB controls the spark with a fully customizable MAP table. I've installed vacuum ports on both SP intake manifolds. Will connect them via a T fitting and tie them into the BB and boost gauge.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

So after measuring for a new belt and placing one on order, I decided to run fuel and vacuum lines in preparation of getting the engine ready for reinstallation... I have unfortunately found a vacuum leak on the T manifold. Have to take everything apart to fix it. Ugh... This sucks.

UPDATE: Mick from Joeblow Superchargers is sending out another T manifold at no cost! How's that for customer service? Very Happy
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

New pulley installed. It will work, plenty of adjustment. Just need to bend and reposition the accelerator cable guide.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Stout looking engine! Nice job, looking forward to hearing it!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

Loosened up the tranny and got the truss bar linkage installed on the frame horns. Unfortunately, didn't pull the tires when I lifted the car to remove the engine. Don't have an impact wrench to remove the lugs... So have to finish installing the boost gauge (painted the mounting bracket), install the air ride tank setup so I can lower the car on the ground to loosen the lugs. What a bother. Still awaiting the T manifold from Australia, so no hurry... Happy Halloween everyone, have a safe night out.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

New T manifold installed. No more vacuum leak. Question... I bought CB Performance's alternator pulley. I have no shims installed, and the belt is still a tad loose. Can the fan belts be ordered smaller than stock? Or should I buy a new belt and go from there?

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
... the belt is still a tad loose.
Looking good! Cool
I'm thinking in anticipation of some awesome throttle response a fan belt that's a tad loose might save your fan Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 46

Jump to: