Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2504, 2505, 2506 ... 2706, 2707, 2708  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Speaking of mango whines. I sold this bus on Friday for $3700. That was a fair price. $10k is not. Any potential buyers should ask for a lot of pictures. Frame is rusty. I don't really care if he makes money but I threw in extra parts to help him complete it etc. and it's listed here again less than 48hrs later. It was so great 25 years ago when the community was cool and people helped each other out, because nothing was worth enough money to bother flipping. A big thanks to all my good friends on here who still live by that accord.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2321953
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
This could be a very sad day if this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is now this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2321786

I sure hope it isn't. They sure look similar though.

Looks like it may be the same bus, but aren't those logos just a vinyl wrap?

Bus looks better without the logo and graphics IMHO. Still a weird mish-mash of parts and colors.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Speaking of mango whines. I sold this bus on Friday for $3700. That was a fair price. $10k is not. Any potential buyers should ask for a lot of pictures. Frame is rusty. I don't really care if he makes money but I threw in extra parts to help him complete it etc. and it's listed here again less than 48hrs later. It was so great 25 years ago when the community was cool and people helped each other out, because nothing was worth enough money to bother flipping. A big thanks to all my good friends on here who still live by that accord.

And that's one of the main reasons, I believe, that people price their wares so high: for concern that scumbags like this will pull this kind of shit.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I guess he misjudged the market: now he "MUST SELL."

This is the one he dredged out of Colorado some months ago and posted these pics before he ever made it home to the Bay Area...notice he removed the pic with the name of the establishment that enabled me to trace it to Colorado. And the new ad date indicates that he let it drop out and reposted it later, else it would show some crazy time on the market.

And funny that it "kneeds" a front floor, but no pic of the mess that lies in wait. And how the rockers have rust, but he'd "just leave it."

$15K now $12? Can't recall what it was many pages back, don't care to search either.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2314691

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

buseric wrote:

Unfortunately, the split bus forum is infested with flippers and those that vociferously defend them, think they’re good for the hobby, etc.

I’m sure the flipper appreciates the spare parts he got by lying to you and convincing you he was buying it to “complete” it.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
buseric wrote:

And that's one of the main reasons, I believe, that people price their wares so high: for concern that scumbags like this will pull this kind of shit.

Very, very true.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

it is the reason i stopped selling parts on here and especially at shows. I'd rather my Family give it to my serious VW friends when i croak then sell it for a "bro deal" and see the guy flip it right away
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Busstom wrote:
buseric wrote:

Very, very true.

It was for sale for some time at $4.5 - 5k. I will be surprised if it sells anywhere near that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

This is the one he dredged out of Colorado some months ago and posted these pics before he ever made it home to the Bay Area...notice he removed the pic with the name of the establishment that enabled me to trace it to Colorado. And the new ad date indicates that he let it drop out and reposted it later, else it would show some crazy time on the market.

And funny that it "kneeds" a front floor, but no pic of the mess that lies in wait. And how the rockers have rust, but he'd "just leave it."

$15K now $12? Can't recall what it was many pages back, don't care to search either.

It looks like it was $20K the first time
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

This is crazy for ones that needs resto.

One is broken!

Lever Shocks barndoor 1952 Price: $350 usd
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2322092

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
buseric wrote:

Unfortunately, the split bus forum is infested with flippers and those that vociferously defend them, think they’re good for the hobby, etc.

I’m sure the flipper appreciates the spare parts he got by lying to you and convincing you he was buying it to “complete” it.
Again, we live in a market economy, capitalism, etc. deal with it. Flippers can be good, bad or otherwise. Lying to sellers or buyers is simply not cool.

Sometimes though, these things have a way of working out. If a flipper puts out $5k, and tries unsuccessfully to sell said bus for $10k, or whatever, they are still out the $5k while it is unsold. So they don't have that money to buy a nicer bus, and they are not competition for whomever is trying to buy a bus. Also, whomever buys (or recently bought) this bus at any price is not good at math. The bus is obviously a steaming pile-o-shit that can never economically compare to a nice bus.

The more people are educated about the economics of owning a good bus, the less flippers will make selling bad buses. I think this topic might help in that regard. And it gives all a place to complain, which is our national hobby as far as I can tell.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
AS350driver wrote:
buseric wrote:

Again, we live in a market economy, capitalism, etc. deal with it. Flippers can be good, bad or otherwise. Lying to sellers or buyers is simply not cool.

Sometimes though, these things have a way of working out. If a flipper puts out $5k, and tries unsuccessfully to sell said bus for $10k, or whatever, they are still out the $5k while it is unsold. So they don't have that money to buy a nicer bus, and they are not competition for whomever is trying to buy a bus. Also, whomever buys (or recently bought) this bus at any price is not good at math. The bus is obviously a steaming pile-o-shit that can never economically compare to a nice bus.

The more people are educated about the economics of owning a good bus, the less flippers will make selling bad buses. I think this topic might help in that regard. And it gives all a place to complain, which is our national hobby as far as I can tell.

Though a very complex way to analyze it, I can’t definitively say you’re wrong in anything you state. Much I agree with, ie educating people. I will say, however, that if the bus had genuinely landed in the hands of a legit end user for $3700, that really just wanted a bus to fix up, it would be another bus back on the road sooner. If that legit end user was at least a little handy mechanically, to at least to do brakes, fuel tank ....easy stuff, the bus could end up being economically viable for them, even with paying a shop to do the metal work. The bus in question needs serious metal work, but not all are *that* bad, but you get the idea.

Instead, a flipper got it, so to make his money for speculating on it, now the end user will ultimately have to pay more.... meanwhile the bus sits and continues to rot into oblivion until the flipper flips it. And the flippers typically glean off the original parts and flip those as well, to maximize their profit, making it even more difficult for the end user, the guy that just wants a bus, to get it back on the road.

Yes, it’s capitalism, and legal.... but still harmful. We can hope he sits on it forever and never makes a penny on it, but that would also mean the bus probably never gets back on the road.

Too bad it didn’t go to an honest enthusiast. Educating ....another variation..... if more people knew values of buses better, there wouldn’t be as many targets of opportunity for flippers , for example, the unwitting 75 year old lady that put my 65 subhatch up on craigslist for $1500. After she found out a bit more about current values, she literally had threats against her safety and security from some of the initial flippers that had called and thought they had some sort of claim on it.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Quote:
they need reconditioning

reconditioning? Laughing
one has a broken flange and the other was cracked and brazed to hell. $5 scrap metal or maybe $50 for donor parts and levers.

EverettB wrote:
This is crazy for ones that needs resto.

One is broken!

Lever Shocks barndoor 1952 Price: $350 usd
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2322092

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Yes, it’s capitalism, and legal.... but still harmful. We can hope he sits on it forever and never makes a penny on it, but that would also mean the bus probably never gets back on the road.

Too bad it didn’t go to an honest enthusiast. Educating ....another variation..... if more people knew values of buses better, there wouldn’t be as many targets of opportunity for flippers , for example, the unwitting 75 year old lady that put my 65 subhatch up on craigslist for $1500. After she found out a bit more about current values, she literally had threats against her safety and security from some of the initial flippers that had called and thought they had some sort of claim on it.

I get it that you outbid the flippers on your bus, but you could have also outbid some legit honest buyer who would have been happy to own it just like you, but didn't have the money to play the market price split bus game these days. Some sellers want it to go to the first person to contact them, some want it to go to the most money, some want it to go to the best home. For some their definition of the best home is the one that pays the most money. The better a deal is for one person, the worse it is for the other person. Welcome to capitalism and inefficient markets. There is no real moral high ground in this debate, we just have to deal with the fact that the market is the way it is, and we can do very little to change it. In the case of a person vastly underpricing a car on CL, they usually figure it out pretty quick because of the competition from flippers and consumers alike. In your case, it certainly seems that both your bus found the right owner, and you found the right bus. I am stoked that you found a good bus, and had the good sense to wait for the right one and make the right moves to get it. Notice how your bus is up and driving and having fun? that is what it is all about. (The fact that it is a special Westfalia with a rare and cool mix of option/year/color is icing on the cake.)

Is there anyone here who would like to own that poor mango bus? Anyone thinking that they would like to do $10K+ in metal work, and still have a bus with rust in every body seam of the half of the body which they didn't replace? Seriously, if anyone is reading this and that is their idea of a good time and a good investment, please pipe up.

The honest, educated and wise enthusiast never even considers fixing a bus like that because they could own two nicer ones for the same money. This seller is looking for the uneducated, unwise buyer who has big dreams and lots of money to spend on what is actually a nightmare. While that buyer does exist occasionally, but usually someone has already separated that fool from his money.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Is there anyone here who would like to own that poor mango bus?

I would!
(For a few hundred bucks). There are some nice parts on there...
Seriously, I can't believe Eric got $3700 for it... Shocked
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

House wrote:
Lind wrote:
Is there anyone here who would like to own that poor mango bus?

I would!
(For a few hundred bucks). There are some nice parts on there...
Seriously, I can't believe Eric got $3700 for it... Shocked

I see some decent interior panels to steal for a nicer Mango Bus Smile
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:

Instead, a flipper got it, so to make his money for speculating on it, now the end user will ultimately have to pay more.... meanwhile the bus sits and continues to rot into oblivion until the flipper flips it. And the flippers typically glean off the original parts and flip those as well, to maximize their profit, making it even more difficult for the end user, the guy that just wants a bus, to get it back on the road.

The bus we are talking about looks to be a parts bus. The best education one can get in this hobby other than value of buses and parts is to know who the full time flippers are before getting into a transaction with them. When I see those guys coming I adjust my asking price accordingly.

We all flip stuff at one point or another.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

YellowSplittie wrote:
Dustin B wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Dustin B wrote:
Rare mango deluxe worth $60,000 or $70,000. A bargain at $28,000.😂

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2321493

He's probably basing that crazy price off of the one Brenden hasup for sale.
This ones been up for nearly a year and for less than half what he's asking. And no takers.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2232084

Is a middle seat worth $17k?

I'm pretty sure he comes up with all his prices from Barret Jackson. I looked at all his adds and he also has a 60's rag top beetle barn find for $20k. Funny thing is I stumped across him on Facebook selling a set of Bice bumpers for $400. He got a bunch of messages including a couple offers for twice the price and now there listed here for $2500.

He's also been running illegal raffles for these cars over on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/staytunedclassics

I like how he has them for sale here on thesamba while he is raffling them on Instagram and Facebook
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Busstom wrote:

It looks like it was $20K the first time

Bus is not even a roller. It has a good look, though.
I do like that headliner:
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I'm convinced that low priced rusty, clapped out POS buses are far easier to sell than medium to high priced buses because your are selling an affordable dream. Once the reality sets in, I think those vehicles get kicked down the road like a can for years until they see find their true level which is either a cut rate project price or a parts bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2504, 2505, 2506 ... 2706, 2707, 2708  Next
Jump to:
Page 2505 of 2708

Jump to: