Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm putting up the foam padding for my headliner right now in my '73 standard bug. I went with a Sewfine Tweed one piece/low effort kit.

When I was talking to the folks at Sewfine they actually said that Weldwood contact cement from DAP would work best for long lasting results on the headliner, but I would need to spray it instead of brushing it on the fabric, or it would risk bleeding through the fabric and discoloring. I have a Home Depot spray gun that I could use but I don't know what nozzle to use, etc.

I also see people using 3M 77 or 90, just spray can adhesive stuff, and that seems to work pretty well too. I'm kinda thinking of using that? Does that have any issues with bleeding through headliners?

If anyone's used the Weldwood stuff I'd love to see results! Thanks all!

My 1679 Engine build.
slagathor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

i used 3m 90 on all the insulation, carpeting and headliner in my bug and it works extremely well and it was super easy.

however

when i first started i had used dap carpet adhesive that you had to "paint on" and it was a giant messy disaster which is why i went to 3m 90 spray. the dap bleed through the insulation and carpet (i started with the hidden carpeting before doing anything) and when i tried a lighter coat of it, it never dried...at all. it sat in the sun for weekend and the carpet still peeled away from the backing board i was sticking to to.

do your self a favor, 3m 90 and be done with it
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

I also installed a Sewfine Tweed headliner on my 1974 Std Bug.

I used 3M High Strength 90 Spray Adhesive for the foam and headliner, which worked well. No bleed through on the headliner at all and it's been up for nearly two years so far.

You shouldn't get bleed through, the glue get's sprayed on to the Roof, then the foam padding is stuck to that. For the headliner, I used the spray glue only where it wouldn't be seen (around the windows where the glass rubber covers and holds the headliner)

For over spray onto the body work I used a clean cloth with WD40, which removes the over spray easily.

I considered using weldwood, but it much slower to apply than the spray glue.

And another tip, get clips, lots and lots and lots of clips!!!!

Details are here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=300

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

Use the 90. I tried the 77 and it failed miserably. I had good results with DAP contact cement too. Have to find the stuff in the red can though.
Big Cap Distributor rebuilt by Tasb
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

Ok, so it sounds like the 3M 90 just has a good enough track record to trust and it's not worth risking using the contact cement on anything that will show.

Question then, do you spray the 3M 90 on both the headliner and the padding/what you're sticking it to? Or do you just spray it on the padding/where you're sticking it?

Thanks!

My 1679 Engine build.
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

Spray it on both surfaces.

In my experience, spraying the padding is a bad idea. If you don't stretch the headliner material over it perfectly it's nearly impossible to pull it back away from the padding to reposition it without ripping the padding apart. You should really just apply glue to the headliner and the part of the body that the headliner will make contact with.
Big Cap Distributor rebuilt by Tasb
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

I used a combination of brush and spray , both seemed to work well. Contact adhesive works best if both surfaces are sprayed and allowed to tack dry. Like Pete's build my headliner install is in my posts.
I taped off edges where I didn't want spray, makes for accurate installation.
lots of clips !
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

Pete, TX-73, I've pored over both your threads for hours as you've built your bugs. Incredible work. I'm definitely using your builds as bibles as I go.

I got a bit thrown by the person at Sewfine telling me to use weldwood but then she said you have to spray it so I guess I'm back to using the spray adhesive anyway since I don't have a good gun for spraying the weldwood stuff thin enough that it won't show.

Thanks!

My 1679 Engine build.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

NewTechnicIan wrote:
Pete, TX-73, I've pored over both your threads for hours as you've built your bugs. Incredible work. I'm definitely using your builds as bibles as I go.

I got a bit thrown by the person at Sewfine telling me to use weldwood but then she said you have to spray it so I guess I'm back to using the spray adhesive anyway since I don't have a good gun for spraying the weldwood stuff thin enough that it won't show.

Thanks!

You will be just fine with the spray adhesive. When you spray it, let it set up for 5-10 mins first, then you can pull and stretch the headliner and it will stick really well. Even if you make a mistake once you position the headliner you can carefully pull the headliner off and reposition it as you go along. The tweed headliner from Sewfine is pretty tough and forgiving and won't rip if you reposition it within 10 mins or so.
Zak is also correct, keep the glue off the padding when fitting the headliner, because the padding will stick to the headliner if you let it and it's a bear to correct if the padding sticks to the headliner.

Try to spray the glue onto the window surround areas where it can't be seen once the window rubber is installed, and leave the final trimming of the headliner once the glue sets up over night or so.

When making cuts to the headliner, measure, measure and measure again BEFORE making any cuts and keep test fitting as you go along.

It's definitely a 7 out of 10 to fit a headliner on the hardness scale, but just go slowly and take your time and it will look great.

I did mine over a couple of days, and used ton's of clips. Once set over night the glue really sticks the headliner down really well.

Good luck!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

Awesome! So you're saying don't spray the adhesive all over the fabric, just really where it needs to stick like at the windows and edges?

Like for example on the B-Pillars, spray only where it's going to be hidden below the rear quarter cards and where it'll be under the windows, or do I spray the areas that will be touching the padding too?

Thanks!

My 1679 Engine build.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

NewTechnicIan wrote:
Awesome! So you're saying don't spray the adhesive all over the fabric, just really where it needs to stick like at the windows and edges?

Like for example on the B-Pillars, spray only where it's going to be hidden below the rear quarter cards and where it'll be under the windows, or do I spray the areas that will be touching the padding too?

Thanks!

That Sir is correct. Just spray the glue where it's going to be hidden (see example below of the areas marked in red. No need to cover the whole padded areas, the glue is plenty strong enough to hold in the headliner.

Something like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pistolpetecowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

There's a 6 part video on youtube showing a cloth headliner install. Good tips, materials, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onqn7ZvzRps

I also used 3m 90 on my vinyl headliner and padding. BTW:Solvents in 3m 90 will melt lacquer paint. Shocked
NewTechnicIan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

Pete, Duuude that picture is perfection. I can see now that I could probably use either of the adhesives doing it this way and not worry about discoloration in the visible areas too, but I'll probably go with the 3M stuff anyway since it seems to be the easiest to work with.

My 1679 Engine build.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

NewTechnicIan wrote:
Pete, Duuude that picture is perfection. I can see now that I could probably use either of the adhesives doing it this way and not worry about discoloration in the visible areas too, but I'll probably go with the 3M stuff anyway since it seems to be the easiest to work with.

Glad it helped.

Either glues will work but the spray is much easier to work with.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Which Headliner Adhesive? Contact Cement, Spray Glue, etc Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I'm at the start of a new headliner installation and thought I'd add my 2-cents.

My experience so far is that the Permatex spray on headliner is the best, better even than 3M 90. The difficulty i'm having is preventing overspray because of the way the stream travels in waves.

I'm also trying the Weldwood in sections, but the initial hold is definitely better w/the Permatex. We'll see how it goes.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: