Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the correct hood for a Jan 53 zwitter?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55 SPLITY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: What is the correct hood for a Jan 53 zwitter? Reply with quote

This seems to be a huge debate over the years. I have done hours of research and still don’t have a clue. My Jan 53 came with a 5 bolt hood with 4 tab emblem but I’ve heard from most people that it’s not correct.
From my research I’ve found that the 7 bolt was used in all the early Zwitter.
VW used those hoods till they ran out of stock then went to the 5 bolt 4 tab.
So is it safe to say early Zwitters in 52 would have the 7 bolt solid emblem and 53 and later would have a 5 bolt with a 4 tab cut aluminum emblem.
This is a heated debate and my 53 is ready for paint and I don’t wanna use the wrong hood.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Rory
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: What is the correct hood for a Jan 53 zwitter? Reply with quote

All Zwitters should have a hood with 3 hinge bolts per side, plus one extra for the hood stay. The change to 2 hinge bolts per side would have been in 1954 IIRC. The emblem on the earliest Zwitters could still be 3-tab, no cutouts (solid) but there would be a separation crease between the V and the W.
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the correct hood for a Jan 53 zwitter? Reply with quote

I used to own a July '53 oval and it had the original hood. The hood had 7 bolt and a 4 tab. I seen original november '53 oval that had 5 bolt hoods. Not sure when exactly in '53 was the change from 7 to 5 bolts but it had to be late like october or november.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the correct hood for a Jan 53 zwitter? Reply with quote

Yes, photographs taken while filming "Aus Eigener Kraft" at the factory in July 53 show the hinges still with 3 bolts per side. They also show a 4-tab hood emblem in use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: