Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

I searched a bit for some plans to build a dolly to put the body on when I separated it from the pan, but didn't find what I needed.
so, I built my own and decided I would start a new thread with an easily searchable title.
This is what I built:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

THIS CART/DOLLY IS THE SHORT VERSION THAT GOES UNDER THE CABIN<NOT THE FRONT AND REAR APRONS
Like so:

Here are the materials I bought and current prices from Home Depot
(I'm using pics instead of links so the info doesn't disappear)

I also purchased these 5" locking swivel casters from Amazon

Please feel free to upgrade any or all parts as you see fit, this is just what worked for me personally.

I measured my bug completely stripped down with engine,interior,and all body parts removed.
The front beam was the highest point at just under 27", and the tires were right at 61" wide (with incorrect sized tires.)
I figured that 30" high and 65" wide would be adequate clearance (please measure your own car before you build as tire size,lowered ft end,aftermarket wheels with weird offsets may change things)

Having made the measurements, I bought the supplies and started cutting.
The width of the dolly is 6ft, so cut the 12ft 4x4 in half right in the middle to make the crossbars.
The sidebars are 4ft, so cut one 8ft 4x4 in half right in the middle
The legs are 24" long (+ the 6" casters = 30"), so measure the other 8ft 4x4 into 4 24" sections
You should have this

I started with the long crossbars (6ft) and mounted the legs (2ft) to the ends of them using 1 angle and 3 plates per leg. The angle goes underneath the crossbar with mounts on top of the leg.
place the crossbar on the ground and attach the leg like this using some of the 200 smaller,shorter screws.

Once you have the two crossbars attached to the four legs, turn them back over and attach the sidebars (4ft) inbetween them using 2 angles and 2 plates. angles are top and bottom, plates are on the sides
I attached the sidebars partway up the leg to allow room to actuate the brakes on each caster and allow space for the angles to be mounted underneath.
I spaced them up using another 4x4, but your distance can vary.
To make it a little easier,Attach the plates to the sidebars using the same smaller,shorter screws as before first like this

then screw the plates to the legs and attach the angles on the top and bottom after the sidebars are attached to the legs(I forgot a pic here)

Once you have all the lumber screwed together, go back around and use as many smaller , shorter screws as you see fit. (I burned through all 200 of mine.)
then flip the entire thing over to attach the casters to the bottom of the legs using the larger, longer screws

Depending on your caster purchase, they may not fit completely on the 4x4.
I forgot that a 4x4 is actually 4in by 4in, so mine hang over a bit. No issue.

Engage your locks, and then flip it back over and you are read to go

The Bug body on the dolly clears my 7ft (84in) high garage by under two inches, so I can roll it in and out. (measure yours first lol)

all told, I'm out $135US because all the supplies were new.
Obviously, money can be saved using scrap wood,used casters,and screws that you already have on hand.
Sorry for lack of detail pics, I got caught up in the build and wanted to pull the body off as soon as possible.

lmk your thoughts and/or questions

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll be building one soon but before I do that I'll need to build a cart/carrier to keep my doors and glass off the floor. Got any plans for one of those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

I do not.
That would have been a good idea, as all my parts are on the floor of 1/2 my garage

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

Hehe, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the header over your garage door...the finished rolling height!

slave1pilot wrote:
all told, I'm out $135US because all the supplies were new.
Obviously, money can be saved using scrap wood,used casters,and screws that you already have on hand.
Sorry for lack of detail pics, I got caught up in the build and wanted to pull the body off as soon as possible.

lmk your thoughts and/or questions

Looks great, cool for posting your BOM for others to get started. And look at it this way, when you finish your car next week Very Happy, you can repurpose those 4-bys on another project, or make blocks, or...
The only thing I'd add is some braces, maybe 12" overall length, at 45* angles on the insides of the long ends, just to mitigate any risk of racking. Say you're rolling along with some momentum, pushing on the Beetle, and one or both casters hit a gap, bump, tool, whatever may be on the floor, and the uprights may have a tendency to fold. Of course, the braces will hamper your crawl-through access from the sides, if only a little bit.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

I did consider some 2x4's at a 45° angle
but honestly, I forgot to pick one up when I was shopping

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

This looks very do-able. However, I need to replace my heater channels as well as my floor, and I wonder if I could extend the length so I could support from the aprons/ bumper area?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

Hi,

No problem to extend, I used this thread to built my body dolly but I have increased the size to work on heater channel.

Chris

Last edited by cab57 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

I LIKE it! Could you give me the measurements? I have a '71 Super but I THINK it would work they way you show it....
Also, is it wide enough to store your chassis with wheels on underneath it? I am in a place where space is at a premium...
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
I LIKE it! Could you give me the measurements? I have a '71 Super but I THINK it would work they way you show it....
Also, is it wide enough to store your chassis with wheels on underneath it? I am in a place where space is at a premium...

I used two 8 foot long 4x4 posts for the length and two 6 foot 4x4 posts for the width. It stores the chassis perfectly underneath and lets me roll the car in and out of the garage as needed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

Yes like the previous picture of dibaltic, my chassis goes under the body.
I have space restriction too and I made the shorter height that I could.

But I had an small issue with my wheels and heater channel when I tried to move the body. So I added some pieces of wood (that you can see on my picture) just to move the body.

The best for you is to take your measures, this is not very hard and it will fit perfectly your beetle.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

UPDATE:
I also added some diagonal pieces to the bottom to help stabilize the dolly a little bit.
I just used scrap 2x4's

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

Solid.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

Unless you plan on doing a few cars this type of thing gets used about once. That said anyone within the sound of my voice can have one I’ve been storing for 20 years. Free just come get it.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

I agree.
It's definitely a one-time use thing, so I tried keeping the costs down.
But it makes it so much easier to do stuff.
and mine has been on it a couple years now lol

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Freeflydenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

cab57 wrote:
Hi,

No problem to extend, I used this thread to built my body dolly but I have increased the size to work on heater channel.

Chris

What's the height on the side 2/4s? Also does it clear the motor when you roll over? Thanks
kaferfahrt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

I want to build a Body Dolly with crossmembers at the wheel wells for the body to rest on. Can anyone provide the info on the height needed to be able to roll the chassie from under the body? I want to store the chassis under the body and be able to roll it in and out to work on it. Thanks
Freeflydenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

kaferfahrt wrote:
I want to build a Body Dolly with crossmembers at the wheel wells for the body to rest on. Can anyone provide the info on the height needed to be able to roll the chassie from under the body? I want to store the chassis under the body and be able to roll it in and out to work on it. Thanks

You could have this one, I'm done, rock solid ...

bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type I Bug Body Dolly (cart) build plans Reply with quote

I just used a rusty Beetle tunnel I had kicking around, chopped it off ahead of the napoleon hat and cut the rear horns off, then added two crossmembers with caster wheels. You can roll the body anywhere you like, and just tip the rig up on its side when you're not using it. It's great for doing heater channels!
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: