Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What happened to www.vanagonauts.com?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

Anyone out there know what happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Looks like it has disappeared from the interwebs which is disappointing since there was also plenty of good information there regarding Vanagons.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

I wondered that last week, sites go down but its still down?!

That's sad, they had a lot of good information.

Hopefully it will be back soon.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

Via the Wayback Machine you can still access an archived copy from February 2019

https://web.archive.org/web/20190204130150/http://www.vanagonauts.com/

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'll send an email to the address on the home page and see if anyone replies about the status of the site.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

the domain registry expires in November, the domain is hosted by gaslightmedia, and the IP (66.129.34.133) does not resolve.

i could IT stuff it some more, but it appears the host has pulled the plug.

BiWerks Design, LLC
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

Does anyone know the owner/have info from WHOIS or anything like that? If it is a question of hosting costs I would be willing to shell out a few bucks to keep a resource like that around, I'm sure I am not the only one...
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Does anyone know the owner/have info from WHOIS or anything like that? If it is a question of hosting costs I would be willing to shell out a few bucks to keep a resource like that around, I'm sure I am not the only one...

Domain Name: VANAGONAUTS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 106630967_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2018-11-20T14:36:18Z
Creation Date: 2003-11-14T15:44:26Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-11-14T15:44:26Z
Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Name Server: HARBOR.GASLIGHTMEDIA.COM
Name Server: NS2.GASLIGHTMEDIA.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned

BiWerks Design, LLC
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:

I have hosting I can provide already set up for a couple other sites I have. Happy to add this to my account.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
nevyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

That would be great!! That site has been invaluable, specifically for emergency roadside squad. Ie safe havens to park or repair or etc...

a2wolfsburggli wrote:

I have hosting I can provide already set up for a couple other sites I have. Happy to add this to my account.
Beakerflo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

I often save some sites just to be sure information does not get lost. I generally don't publicly offer these sites since there is some rights of the author concerned. Still... Here are the files of Vanagonauts website;

https://beakerbus.stackstorage.com/s/wzKoEoUktumhZFL
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

Beakerflo wrote:
I often save some sites just to be sure information does not get lost. I generally don't publicly offer these sites since there is some rights of the author concerned. Still... Here are the files of Vanagonauts website;

https://beakerbus.stackstorage.com/s/wzKoEoUktumhZFL

a fellow wget fan i suppose Smile

thank you.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Beakerflo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

indeed Smile
This way I have saved some precious info. Internet is always fleeting.
nevyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

If anyone can do the legwork to contact original site owners for code and such.... I and a coder friend will get it going again.
nevyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

If anyone can do the legwork to contact original site owners for code and such.... I and a coder friend will get it going again.
nevyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

There was that site with "The Captain" that had some pretty good info on it too, though he was a bit anal about organizing it...memories...forget what it was called but haven't seen it for years. And then there was [email protected] iirc...
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

Here's a link to the archives of the Yahoo Vanagon group, some decades of info that you can search. Be patient. The group is still active.

http://gerry.vanagon.com/archives/vanagon.html
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Here's a link to the archives of the Yahoo Vanagon group, some decades of info that you can search. Be patient. The group is still active.

I think the person who started/ran Vanagonauts was a Vanagon List member, so if anybody's still a member of the List they could post there for more info.

Last I checked a couple of years ago, I was a member. But I can't remember what email address I'm under. I'll see what I can find.

That group actually pre-dates Yahoo.

EDIT: I'm still a member! And I have 1,784 unread topics.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nevyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

Cool let me know what you find!

joetiger wrote:
campism wrote:

I think the person who started/ran Vanagonauts was a Vanagon List member, so if anybody's still a member of the List they could post there for more info.

Last I checked a couple of years ago, I was a member. But I can't remember what email address I'm under. I'll see what I can find.

That group actually pre-dates Yahoo.

EDIT: I'm still a member! And I have 1,784 unread topics.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What happened to www.vanagonauts.com? Reply with quote

nevyn wrote:
Cool let me know what you find!

According to the Vanagon list (which is still quite lively and interesting, by the way--glad I jumped back in) the site was hosted by the late John Meeks, a respected Vanagon guy who passed away a few years back. Apparently the family was running the site but it has lapsed.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: