Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2505, 2506, 2507 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Dibaltic wrote:
I like how he has them for sale here on thesamba while he is raffling them on Instagram and Facebook

I was wondering if that was even legal, so I looked it up: https://oag.ca.gov/charities/raffles
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Raffles arent legal unless the proceeds go to charity. People get around it on Facebook calling it a waffle... eventually these guys get caught

there's even one going on in one of the forums here Laughing
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Raffles arent legal unless the proceeds go to charity. People get around it on Facebook calling it a waffle... eventually these guys get caught

Raffles arent legal unless the proceeds go to charity

Even for a charity, there are stringent guidelines they must meet.

OTOH, if you're dumb enough to buy tickets for some shyster's facebook raffle... well, let's just call it economic Darwinism
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Raffles arent legal unless the proceeds go to charity

Even for a charity, there are stringent guidelines they must meet.

OTOH, if you're dumb enough to buy tickets for some shyster's facebook raffle... well, let's just call it economic Darwinism

100% AGREE

The one I'm aware of are BMX waffles, where guys spend so much money on bike parts then can't sell it, so they waffle it... Rolling Eyes
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
AS350driver wrote:

Instead, a flipper got it, so to make his money for speculating on it, now the end user will ultimately have to pay more.... meanwhile the bus sits and continues to rot into oblivion until the flipper flips it. And the flippers typically glean off the original parts and flip those as well, to maximize their profit, making it even more difficult for the end user, the guy that just wants a bus, to get it back on the road.

The bus we are talking about looks to be a parts bus. The best education one can get in this hobby other than value of buses and parts is to know who the full time flippers are before getting into a transaction with them. When I see those guys coming I adjust my asking price accordingly.

We all flip stuff at one point or another.

This mango bus *is* pretty bad, but the same story is often repeated on plenty of other savable buses and parts. Even Buses that are nice , complete, and could get put back on the road easily have fallen into the wrong hands and got scattered. I’d have to dig up the thread, but this happened to a really nice white SO33(?) from the Central Valley about 2 years ago. It was painful to watch it’s Westy bits being parsed out on the classifieds, but I guess the guy made money without having to work.

I like the term you used, ie; a “full time flipper“. I think you’ve coined a good description there. Yes, we all buy and sell or trade things eventually, you describe that as a flip. I cannot say that’s incorrect, as it is an opinion, but flipping in my opinion is activity like what is occurring on the last couple of buses on this thread.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:

I like the term you used, ie; a “full time flipper“. I think you’ve coined a good description there.

I don't think it's a new term; there are some well-known flippers who are literally doing this to put bread on their table. If you're curious as to who they are, post something temptingly cheap on Craigslist and they will introduce themselves to you.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Dibaltic wrote:
I like how he has them for sale here on thesamba while he is raffling them on Instagram and Facebook

I was wondering if that was even legal, so I looked it up: https://oag.ca.gov/charities/raffles

I wonder how they don't get reported for this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Interesting lack of rear camber for an old Bus...with the height being stock, it almost looks like it has IRS... (it's not for sale, just an example in this WTB ad)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2322495

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Interesting lack of rear camber for an old Bus...with the height being stock, it almost looks like it has IRS... (it's not for sale, just an example in this WTB ad)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2322495

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

interestingly he is asking to buy a 58 PG/SG Kombi, but the picture shows a 15 window deluxe... a very pretty one, though. Maybe it is just so people look at the ad

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

How many Palm Green / Sand Green Kombis exist? None?
Maybe a SK699A Westy...
Good luck!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I saw that VW raffle with no charity listed as a beneficiary and thought "that can't be legal".... sure enough, it's not!

Glad someone brought it up on here Laughing
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

House wrote:
Maybe a SK699A Westy...
Good luck!

In other parts of the world kombi is there word for bus. It doesn't matter if it's a standard or a deluxe. Australia is one of those places.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
House wrote:
Maybe a SK699A Westy...
Good luck!

In other parts of the world kombi is there word for bus. It doesn't matter if it's a standard or a deluxe. Australia is one of those places.

well, Australia may be one of those places... Austria is not.

Still it only makes so much sense to post a WTB add and then post a picture of something else....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Dustin B wrote:
House wrote:
Maybe a SK699A Westy...
Good luck!

well, Australia may be one of those places... Austria is not.

Still it only makes so much sense to post a WTB add and then post a picture of something else....

so posting a picture of a palm green sand green bus in a wanted add for a palm green sand green bus isn't to the point enough for you? 😁

62 og paint L469 type 1

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Ad says PG/SG Kombi which basically didn't exist, and uses a picture of a PG/SG 15 Window which didn't exist....
If he asked for a PG/SG Bus or Standard or Microbus and used a pic of one then we wouldn't be WHINING in the WHINE thread! Laughing
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

House wrote:
Ad says PG/SG Kombi which basically didn't exist, and uses a picture of a PG/SG 15 Window which didn't exist....
If he asked for a PG/SG Bus or Standard or Microbus and used a pic of one then we wouldn't be WHINING in the WHINE thread! Laughing

Your right, this is a whine thread and it should be expected. I guess I'm just use to seeing it do to fallowing a few Australian VW Facebook pages. On those pages everything is a kombi to them except for double and single cabs. They call those UTE's most of the time.

62 og paint L469 type 1

I <3 Brazilian busses

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I'm convinced that low priced rusty, clapped out POS buses are far easier to sell than medium to high priced buses because your are selling an affordable dream. Once the reality sets in, I think those vehicles get kicked down the road like a can for years until they see find their true level which is either a cut rate project price or a parts bus.

AS350driver wrote:

Though a very complex way to analyze it, I can’t definitively say you’re wrong in anything you state. Much I agree with, ie educating people. I will say, however, that if the bus had genuinely landed in the hands of a legit end user for $3700, that really just wanted a bus to fix up, it would be another bus back on the road sooner. ...

I think Eric did pretty good on the deal. Don't want someone buying it for too much and not realizing the condition, though.

I once refused to sell a cheap bus to a friend because it was so bad. It had no redeeming qualities, apart from being cheap, and being a rolling split bus.
I did warn the guy who bought it in detail how it was rough. He saw pics before seeing it in person before buying. The frame rails were fine IIRC, but it was a NW forest bus rusty gutted panel camper with bad re-paint and peeling bondo.

They did not fix it up. They passed it on maybe a year later, and bought a better bus.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I'm convinced that low priced rusty, clapped out POS buses are far easier to sell than medium to high priced buses because your are selling an affordable dream. Once the reality sets in, I think those vehicles get kicked down the road like a can for years until they see find their true level which is either a cut rate project price or a parts bus.

AS350driver wrote:

Though a very complex way to analyze it, I can’t definitively say you’re wrong in anything you state. Much I agree with, ie educating people. I will say, however, that if the bus had genuinely landed in the hands of a legit end user for $3700, that really just wanted a bus to fix up, it would be another bus back on the road sooner. ...

I think Eric did pretty good on the deal. Don't want someone buying it for too much and not realizing the condition, though.

I once refused to sell a cheap bus to a friend because it was so bad. It had no redeeming qualities, apart from being cheap, and being a rolling split bus.
I did warn the guy who bought it in detail how it was rough. He saw pics before seeing it in person before buying. The frame rails were fine IIRC, but it was a NW forest bus rusty gutted panel camper with bad re-paint and peeling bondo.

They did not fix it up. They passed it on maybe a year later, and bought a better bus.

I also feel like I did fine on the price. I did not make any money and may have fixed it, before I came across my currrent, and much better project. Its a very rough bus as I described in the ad and in subsequent additional pics. It has some og paint draw and most of that is there, which i am sure is why the guy drove to canada to pick it up. Or wait maybe it was the good weed and beer. Either way its not a $10k or $9.5k bus....price is already dropping. Lol, funny part is he texted me the other day asking the best way to strip the paint back!
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

“ .price is already dropping. Lol, funny part is he texted me the other day asking the best way to strip the paint back!”

Crazy. And ruin the best thing the bus has going for it.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

AS350driver wrote:

The bus in question will require some expert metalwork, but we’ve seen the same “less than 48 hr” turnaround flips plenty of times here with buses that weren’t as needy. Same thing with lying and deception by flippers to get extra parts for them to supposedly finish the bus themselves...then the parts get advertised separately at a markup.

The bus you sold...was it so badly rusted it couldn’t be put in driving condition, or some partial rust repair done to get it structurally good enough to at least drivable project level?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2505, 2506, 2507 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2506 of 2710

Jump to: