Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Renogy Solar Panel Sale
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

I bought Renogy's 100 Watt Suitcase setup a while back. Bypassed the built-in controller and added a 25' extension to hook the panels up to my Goal Zero Yeti.

Renogy's having a Sale if you're interested:

https://www.renogy.com/on-sale/?utm_source=Renogy+...165ebc25c3

Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been, blah, blah, Renogy, blah, blah.

Also: How to Bypass Renogy Suitcase Controller:

https://thecampingnerd.com/bypass-solar-charge-controller-renogy/

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

I've got their first iteration of the suitcase panel... still going strong. Although, I removed the charge controller, installed it inside the van, and permanently connected the panel wires. The controller is wired to the battery (didn't want to deal with alligator clips), and the panels get connected to the controller via Anderson connector in the former city water hookup box.

I did the same thing for my parents' van, except bought the suitcase version without controller (bought controller separately), and used GW's solar hookup box. Built the whole thing at home; when I arrived at their van, installation was practically plug-n-play.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

Is this the one you speak of?

https://www.renogy.com/100-watt-12-volt-monocrysta...ontroller/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does it fit in the well of the luggage rack (assuming you park pointing south)?

Thanks.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Does it fit in the well of the luggage rack (assuming you park pointing south)?

Heres appx dims of the flat floor area.
It gets a little bigger as you rise up out of the rounded corners.

Looks like it will fit in the middle of the cargo area while folded up, then certainly fits when opened and up on the stand.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

My Renogy 100W folding panel fit nicely:

Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

So I know nothing of electricity. I just got GW’s Aux Batt kit with the LiFePo battery. Next I need solar panels, and was thinking Goal Zero. But if I want permanent panels, I need something like Renogy right? But wondering why bigger isn’t better. To charge a house battery, you need a 12V system, but why wouldn’t Renogy’s 300W 12V system be better for the off-grid Vanagon? Is it just overkill? If it’s overkill, what is the optimum system to go with? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:
But wondering why bigger isn’t better. To charge a house battery, you need a 12V system, but why wouldn’t Renogy’s 300W 12V system be better for the off-grid Vanagon?

It all depends what your system needs; each van requires its own setup. For me, a 50Ah aux battery that simply powers a 12V fridge, LED lights, faucet pump, and occasional phone charging, 100W/120W* works just dandy... 300W would be overkill.

*I've got the 100W Renogy suitcase and a 120W Solar Blvd. flex panel... which one I use depends on where I am.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

I carry my Suitcase setup in the space behind the bunk mattress, safe from the elements.

I chose the portable option so I could position panels toward the Sun at the optimum angle. The extension cord, with MC4 connectors, adds to the versatility.

Dan
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Renogy Solar Panel Sale Reply with quote

Just get a 100 watt flexible panel. Light weight, easily stores under the top bunk cushions when traveling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: