Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is replaced First? Heater Channels or Floor Pans?
Heater channels! Pull body of chassis;Cut off old ones, measure and get 'er dun!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Floor pans first, Body off, keep old channels on, then use new floor pans as guides
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
Just leave body on, replace heater channels, then floor pans
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Just leave body on, replace heater channels first, THEN floor pans
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
None of the above, see my post below for suggestions!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

This is my first post, after having reading and reading and reading quite a bit, mostly here, but on other forums too. I am, again, after a long hiatus, stepping headlong into VW Bug ownership. This time, however, it's for fun, for a project, for relaxing, for WHATEVER. It is NOT for a "daily driver", a "show car", or an "investment".
--Here is the deal--
1971 VW Super Beetle, the add said "only rust in the drivers side floor pan and rocker panels..." Rocker panels, right.. Only.... right...
There is other rust too, BTW, in the shock tower, spot below the quarter panel drivers side, places I haven't even seen yet... (car comes home Saturday!)

(Sigh) I need to replace both. Do I....

a) do the floor pans first, off-the-car-(take off the body), then do the heater channels
b) Do the heater pans first, using the floor pans as a guide THEN body off and do the floor pans.
c) Take a fetal position and pray for forgiveness?

What do YOU recommend? What did you do? What did you WISH you did? What is the best way to do it? Before anyone else says it, the "Bug Me videos" are on the way! (I just can't wait!!!) Smile

Me I have average mechanical skills (remember I had 3 bugs and a '71 bus before this one that I kept alive...) and some average welding skills for a non welder (I'm not a full time welder) I have a good tool supply, and lots of time. Space is OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

I do the pans first. Check their location with the old channels still on the body. Once set into position, they get welded in place. Then one channel at a time. I have done both at the same time but it is a lot more bracing and measuring. One at a time is way easier!
After the one side is tacked in place. I drop the body onto the pan and double check fit and alignment.

Then lift it back up. Weld that side in good. Then move to the other side.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I do the pans first.

OK so, stupid question, you take the body off first, right? I am also assuming I am bracing as needed....
Then do the pans, then body back, cut off old HC, measure, heater channels to fit, tack weld.. Right? After the one side is tacked in place. I drop the body onto the pan and double check fit and alignment.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Then lift it back up. Weld that side in good. Then move to the other side.

Bingo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

Yes body off first.

Also, welding produces many sparks, so a full removal of the interior or total protection, is required.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

Initial pictures from the cat who sold me the car.. Not mine. I will post them
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

Looks like a project! Time to get into it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

Picking up the car tomorrow, hopefully all will be well. She has been sitting for a while, but the owner says it will run. I just need it to run long enough to get it onto the vehicle hauler.

I have 1) extra fuel 2) battery pack 3) air bubble for filling tires 3) smattering of tools 4) hydraulic jack 5) starter fluid 6) brake fluid 7) oil

Anything else?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

Take a fan belt and some oil.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Got 'er home! Reply with quote

I am of the ilk that prepares for everything. (my wife would argue I "over-prepare) Hehehe I got there and the darn thing was ready to go. I won't even bore you with the details of the transport-oh yeah, it had a flat tire and I had to go 10 minutes out of my way to get another one...

But that's another story. Long and short of it, it went on the transport with no problems, I paid the man, and the deal was done! Didn't need anything I brought! (but I HAD it, just in case!)

Anyway, here it is in the flesh. Pardon my amateur youtube..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zHEb6wQw8o&feature=youtu.be

More photos of what I did already to follow!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

Nice.

Get that thing home and start having fun!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Starting the BIG FIX Reply with quote

I started the big fix.....
You can see in the montage the "fix" the PO did. He used bondo and a sheet of cheap metal to try and fix the rusted heater channel. No "remove and replace", no, it was more like "paste it on and bondo over it and forget it".
It gets better-on the passenger's side, he used fiberglas! Again, no attempt to R&R, he just slops the fiberglas over it and calls it good! A little black paint and who knows? Right?
I got most of it out with the air hammer and chisel. What a pain!

Also, for some reason, he jams a set, a full set of metric allen wrenches IN THEIR PLASTIC HOLDER to fit the gas tank in after a repair... WTF?!?!? It looked like he couldn't get the tank to fit with the hose or something. At least he used metric allen wrenches right? And the gas tank repair? Anyone?? Yup, looked like he actually tried to weld it, and then gave up and pasted it with what looks like JB Weld......OMG!! So THAT'S why I kept smelling gas.....

Look at the floor boards under the seat..... Is that tar paper/insulation standard?

Good lord what have I got myself into!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRX-UE-FhU
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

I am over here laughing, not at you, but in having all those past memories surface! Too funny and too long to write out. Take my word for it!

You are one of the lucky ones! You are finding free tools. Usually I find a rolled up newspaper or a segment of coat hanger holding something in place. I never found anything worth saving.

VW used a tar (bituthene) impregnated paper for sound reading/insulation. I think that is what the black gooey stuff is. Someone on here has all the info on it and may chime in.

Your last sentence.

Quote:
Good lord what have I got myself into!

Is what each one of us has thought, several times, during the process. Just grin and bear it! Then go about repairing it correctly.

Keep at it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Thanks VW Jimbo! Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and encouragement VW_Jimbo!

So many questions! Here's another one. Does the wiring harness usually come thru the heater channel, or was this another "add-on"?

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

That's normal routing for the wiring harness.

Have you found the window screen yet? 7 out of 10 prior owners find window screen to be a perfectly acceptable base for bondo. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Have you found the window screen yet? 7 out of 10 prior owners find window screen to be a perfectly acceptable base for bondo. Very Happy

As mentioned!

Buggeee - too damn funny but so true!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Hmmm, OK its normal. Will I have a hole in my new channels (Dansk I hope) and does it then exit out a hole provided for same in back, or what? Any pictures of what it would look like with out all this darn rust?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Pans and Heater Channels '71 Super Bug-Which First? Poll! Reply with quote

The replacement channels will not have this pass through & it only enters the channel & exits just below that hole.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was taking off the deck lid, I found the original VW emblem! It was in the engine compartment by the How did it get there?
Another thing I found, as I was looking in the back seat area. THAT BUG SMELL!!! I KNEW I remembered it! Is it me? Am I weird?
What it is? Why do they all smell the same, no matter what??
Man, I really wish I could bottle it and sell THAT SMELL!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: