Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 70 single cab...uh oh
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

So I went and bought a 1970 single cab and while I knew it would need some work, I’m hoping I didn’t bite off more than I can chew.

First up are the pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ivwshane on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

I planned on replacing all the floors and I think that is a job I can handle. The doors are worse than I anticipated and I probably will just buy used ones (are the early and late bays the same?).

The gates may be salvageable for someone with more skill but I’ll either get some klassic fab replacements or fab my own basic ones.

There are two areas that are a major concern for me, the front lower inner metal (is that considered part of the frame or a separate structure?), and there is a small section of body and rockers that needs to be replaced. I was not anticipating that:(

The other major body work is the rear quarter panels which I think I can do but it will definitely push my skills.

There are some mechanical issues that I’ll need to address. The bus was converted to a type IV engine which I would like to keep but it may be more feasible to simply put back in a type I. The engine currently has dual carbs (I don’t know much else about it), but I prefer fuel injection and more specifically a setup like my 77 westy just to simplify things and stick with what I know.

The front was also converted to disc brakes but after my initial test drive it seems like they aren’t doing anything. Hopefully that will be an easy fix as it’s the main thing I need to tackle before I drive it more.

Other than that there area ton of little things that need to be fixed. Right now I want to get all the holes plugged that might let water in. Specifically there are holes behind the cab, I posted a picture of them, does anyone know what supposed to go there?

Last edited by ivwshane on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Sweet ride.
Singles are often beaten up, but that one looks far better than most.

it'll need full dogleg surgery.

Luckily for you,
Gerson has most all of this stuff now.
I'd be saving for that big order.
Gates make or break a truck IMHO.

Oh,
And,
Early and late doors are different...

What’s That Noise?!?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Sweet ride.
Singles are often beaten up, but that one looks far better than most.

it'll need full dogleg surgery.

Luckily for you,
Gerson has most all of this stuff now.
I'd be saving for that big order.
Gates make or break a truck IMHO.

Oh,
And,
Early and late doors are different...

Thanks. So 68-71 are the same then? No difference between various models (sc, dc, bus)?
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
my 77 weary

I know exactly how you feel.

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Liveonjg wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
my 77 weary

I know exactly how you feel.

Doh!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

I like it. Definitely salvageable. Actually, it looks pretty solid.

Of course you bit off more than you can chew. But you will learn to just keep chewing. Smile
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Anyone have any good threads on how to tackle the lower front area?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

FWIW, here is a link to the work I did on that area. I know it’s a late bay, but there are a few similarities. I found the hardest area to be the washer bottle panel. Wolfsburg West makes one. I think Gerson makes the rest. The Haynes restoration manual is a good guide to help you figure out all those rust sandwiches.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

That's a nice ride.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

FWIW, here is a link to the work I did on that area. I know it’s a late bay, but there are a few similarities. I found the hardest area to be the washer bottle panel. Wolfsburg West makes one. I think Gerson makes the rest. The Haynes restoration manual is a good guide to help you figure out all those rust sandwiches.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Damn!! I might have to farm this bit out!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

I don’t much about single cabs but was surprised to see a type 4 engine in this 1970 SC. Is this how they came?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
I don’t much about single cabs but was surprised to see a type 4 engine in this 1970 SC. Is this how they came?

No. It was converted. It may have to go though. We’ll see. Ideally I’d like to keep it and make it work but I want it to be just like the type IV in my westy.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
I’m gonna say no....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

So I have a type IV engine with dual Weber carbs but that’s about as much information as I can get about it. I don’t see an engine code on either the fan housing or on the case by the breather box. Where eids would they be?

It’s got the inspection plug on the top of the Fan housing but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Does the exhaust offer any clues?

Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Hello,
It may be a 914 engine, check the top of the case near the front?, for engine numbers.
And for the front brakes, it looks as if there is no vacuum powered brake servo... just disc and calipers... of course they don't work.... They must have changed out the rear brake system and axles also. You can't fit 71 and later rims on a 70-68 rear hub, take a closer look of your pound puppy.
The holes behind the seat may be for canopy post? IDK just a guess.
It does look like a fun project, if you like rust repair...
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Definitely a hack job but it looks alright. there is a tin conversion kit to make a type IV fit in an early bay but I think it's usually pretty pricey.

I have a VW of Canada Re-manufactured engine in my bus - also a type IV. The case itself only says "GE" and it has a little VW recycling stamp on it. You also have to look like, DIRECTLY down to see the number, the angle of the pic where the number would be may not be at a good angle.

I also couldn't see the engine number on my shroud until I really scrubbed the crap out of it. Maybe you just have enough oil and dirt and gunk to fill in the numbers and letters??

Good luck, sick bus
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 70 single cab...uh oh Reply with quote

Thoughts:

Cramming that Type IV engine in there must have involved some hackery, as it would not ordinarily fit. If you do go that route, you'll need to figure out how to seal off the engine compartment (so that you cannot see the street from the inside).

The row of holes behind the cab is not original. The original hoops are held to the floor and bulkhead by captive nuts that are likely gone.

My '78 double cab also has no brake booster, although it has '78 disc brakes. Stops quite well, surprisingly.

A new set of gates from KlassicFab will run you about $2000.

The engine number stamped on the shroud might be misleading. The real engine number is stamped on the top of the case near the breather box.

Good luck! Trucks are great fun and useful, too!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: