Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Loaded my Mother- In-Law in the Vanagon to take her to the Hospital....yes, I know there are a few jokes just in that one sentence .... Razz Flame Away pranksters..... Wink
Although the portable Wheelchair Ramp was a bit pricey when we bought it to use with the Vanagon, it gets better and better for ease of usage as time goes by when we compare the struggles we had transferring her from the chair to a cars’ front seat and back again.

Nothing dire on this trip thankfully, most likely a UTI or similar low level infection. Awaiting her to get admitted while I cruise The Samba tonight... Cool

Not posting any pictures since the ER is resembling a scene out of Contagion or other Health Scare with all the people wearing masks...
😷😷😷
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took me on a 6200 mile trip from South Jersey up to Canada to Jasper, Banff, Glacier NP and on home. Phenomenal scenery and not a single hiccup. I sure do have Westy envy after this trip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Worked at the Indy Car Races in Portland, Oregon. Since I had to cross the track to get to infield parking I thought I'd do a "long" crossing. I didn't get a trophy or anything, the timing and scoring people had given up on me by the time I got to the finish line. I don't think their clock goes that high.

Maybe if I had let the Minion drive we would have done better.
But it was fun crashing the party.
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Windansea Beach for Labor Day Celebration!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Turned 300,000 miles today. I was able to pull into my driveway so it's sitting there with 300K on it.

The last three years/45K miles have been with the Bostig. It's a good van.

Thanks, van...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took the family and friends to the pumpkin patch today. Ran great.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Turned 300,000 miles today. I was able to pull into my driveway so it's sitting there with 300K on it.

Thanks, van...

Well done! Good Van, good vancaregiver!!

Applause

I'm at 296,348.. had a busted speedo cable for ~800 miles so I'm off but oh well. So, you still hit the big 3 well before me, even with that transmission issue that took you out for a few weeks. Its about to be salt season for me, so you may pull further ahead now, too!

Last edited by bobbyblack on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

It’s permitted to disconnect the odometer to go get money shots at 300k
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Friendly reminder from the original, first post:

(Moderator Warning: Any "What I did TO my van" posts will be deleted! This thread is about what your VAN did today, not what work YOU did TO it.)

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Thanks, van...

Well done! Good Van, good vancaregiver!!

Applause

I'm at 296,348.. had a busted speedo cable for ~800 miles so I'm off but oh well. So, you still hit the big 3 well before me, even with that transmission issue that took you out for a few weeks. Its about to be salt season for me, so you may pull further ahead now, too!

It's a journey, not a race. Very Happy What a bunch of fun we get to have!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

It's a journey, not a race. Very Happy What a bunch of fun we get to have!

So true; a delightful journey! Dixie's hanging tough at 336,756 miles. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Jake, Sweeeeet!!!

3 days ago, Floss had a slight sweet smell in the cabin. Yesterday, more so. Today, definitely time to look under the rear bench .. AGAIN. I think this is 3 years in a row. Admittedly, the first year, I decided to just try the valve, which was for sure leaky. I tested the core wiht the new valve, an dit held 15 pounds. Last year, I went for the VC replacement, and, admittedly, messed that job up slightly. So, now I get to see if my workaround to my mess up is the reason for the newly sniffed surprise (not actually surprising).

Certainly could be yet another $60 for another heater core.. Will report back!

-bobby
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Jake, Sweeeeet!!!

3 days ago, Floss had a slight sweet smell in the cabin. Yesterday, more so. Today, definitely time to look under the rear bench .. AGAIN. I think this is 3 years in a row. Admittedly, the first year, I decided to just try the valve, which was for sure leaky. I tested the core wiht the new valve, an dit held 15 pounds. Last year, I went for the VC replacement, and, admittedly, messed that job up slightly. So, now I get to see if my workaround to my mess up is the reason for the newly sniffed surprise (not actually surprising).

Certainly could be yet another $60 for another heater core.. Will report back!

-bobby

That's a bummer. I have a replacement rear heater core on the shelf - but the Subaru Coolant Conditioner stopped the leak!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My vanagon decided to completely blow its head gasket yesterday. I'm kind of not happy. I used a pressure bleeder to add coolant to the system but maybe there was an air bubble somewhere. I previously drove it around the block and idled it for quite a bit and it was stable. I replaced the FPR and it was finally idling and running ok and thought, "this is it! I can finally go camping!"

Jokes on me. Temp went from 190 to 230+ degrees in about 30 seconds and coolant started pouring out of the coolant/head gasket. Like a hose. I guess this engine is coming out and then going back. Something I said I'd never do. The universe sure has a sense of humor.

Haha...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
My vanagon decided to completely blow its head gasket yesterday.
I guess this engine is coming out and then going back. Something I said I'd never do. The universe sure has a sense of humor.

Sorry to hear it! What a disappointment!

I also said that if I took my engine out, it was getting a transplant. Well, to that end, I did my top end rebuild with the engine left in. It was not easy, and I was tempted many times to get my 12 gauge and blast it a few times... Ended well eventually.

THEN, I got a few hundred miles in, and WHAMMY! the clutch went to pieces.. Soooo, I took the transaxle out.

I'd say that your idea of just forgoing the mental anguish of 'never out then back in' is a far better solution than mine.

Hope the heads pop off easy for ya!

-bobby
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Thanks. It will be a bit before I can get to it unfortunately. I am helping a friend swap an M20 into a BMW 2002 right now so that's taking up the lift. Hopefully he'll be done by the end of November.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My wife and I were in need of more freedom on the ocean. These escape craft fit neatly inside our '84 tin top. It's as though the van was made for them. After use, they prop up perfectly for fresh water rinse, air dry and slide back inside for safe storage and immediate re-use. I never imagined this use for our van....

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

That^^^ looks incredibly cool... Cool

Link

Same brand? Different? Do tell!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Lift. Uses a bluetooth handheld controller, 25kts possible on foil. 5'& 5'6.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Dont those things cost as much as some vans lol?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 89

Jump to: