Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

I have an electric Fuel pump, all I need is a on off switch simple to drain the carbs. Thanks for the simple solution.

I think I have enough Toggle switches to use one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

They don't even use 100% gasoline in Brazil and their ethanol content has been as high as 25% minimum.

Quote:
There are no longer any light vehicles in Brazil running on pure gasoline. Since 1976 the government made it mandatory to blend anhydrous ethanol with gasoline, fluctuating between 10% to 22% and requiring just a minor adjustment on regular gasoline engines. In 1993 the mandatory blend was fixed by law at 22% anhydrous ethanol (E22) by volume in the entire country, but with leeway to the Executive to set different percentages of ethanol within pre-established boundaries. In 2003 these limits were set at a minimum of 20% and a maximum of 25%. Since July 1, 2007 the mandatory blend is 25% of anhydrous ethanol and 75% gasoline or E25 blend.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

Brazil was set up for that many years ago when they decided not to use any inported gas. It was a big deal all over the VW mags. Their cars were set up for ethanol.

At this point -- run your car regularly or drain the float bowls if your car is sitting or do nothing.

It is up to you.

Kind of like my doctor telling me I have to go for a colonoscopy, I have a choice. I know what can or can not happen if I don't.

I picture the doctor looking down my throat with a flash light saying keep it coming, I don't see it yet.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

I don't often join in the fun... but this particular debate seems to ignite the kind of passion in "car guy" circles generally reserved for motor oil and other imponderables. As I've often been told that I feel everybody is entitled to my own opinion, I'll freely share it.

Everybody is aware of ethanol's hygoscopic (affinity for water) tendencies. Everybody knows it's corrosive and dries out rubber. Everybody is also aware (or should be) that E10 fuel is the only thing that's available in many places in this country. I have the happy coincidence of living 5 miles from a station with E0 93 octane, but it's one station in pretty large geographical area. Out west, it's 91 octane E10.

My engine does not really like E0 gas, because I built it for E10. There's more compression than is optimal for pure gasoline, and I'm jetted slightly fatter due to E10s reduced energy content. My carbs (like everybody else's) definitely don't like the alcohol, however. The floats disintegrate every 5 years or so and plug up the transition and idle circuits, etc. I've got a fuel shut off, and use it in the winter-- but shutting it off after every drive and letting the car run out of gas in the float bowls is not something I've made a habit of (yet).

We can whine all we like, but it isn't going to change how gas is sold in 99.99% of the stations in America. It's my contention that this is something we just learn to live with. We're always free to move on to something else. I'm old enough to remember when this country made the switch to unleaded fuel. At the time, you would have thought that the world was coming to an end (we were all going to need valve-guides every 10K mi, etc). In reality, the market adapted, and engines became more reliable than ever imaginable. It's true that carbureted engines will always struggle with ethanol in gas for all the reasons I stated above

... but the fact is, unless your car is going to never get more than 100 miles from your favorite "pure gas" station, you're going to have to deal with it. I wish all gas was "Top Tier" pure gas. But then again, I wish I felt like I did when I was 25 and still know what I know now. We play the cards we've been dealt, not the cards we wish we'd been dealt, or the cards we had 3 hands ago.

E10 isn't going anywhere. We either play the game with these cards, or we play a different game.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

And some people are seriously committed to removing ethanol Shocked

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

There is only one reason to have ethanol in your fuel.

THE SALE OF ETHANOL PROVIDES MONEY TO LOBBY CONGRESS TO CONTINUE THE SALES OF ETHANOL. no mechanical advantage exists then or now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:

THE SALE OF ETHANOL PROVIDES MONEY TO LOBBY CONGRESS TO CONTINUE THE SALES OF ETHANOL. no mechanical advantage exists then or now

There is only one solution to these kind of problems and it called convention of states, article 5 of the constitution. Dan
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:

That may well be. It's irrelevant. We play the cards we have, not the cards we'd like to have.
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

I don't get excited for the debate. But we do have ethanol-free available at a lot of stations here. I always use it in my vw's. It can't hurt, it's 40cents more per gallon. In addition to avoiding E10 related issues, I get way better mileage. I have used ethanol-free in my other vehicles as well, and improved mileage was the only real benefit. With my 80 C10 I got about 15mpg on E10, 18mpg E-free, my 02 Kia gets 32mpg on E10, 36mpg on E-free. I don't know that the extra cost is justified by the few mpg gained, so I generally use E10 in my non VW cars. I just use the ethanol free in the VW's because it is readily available. Also, the pure gas site isn't really kept up to date. It shows 5 stations in my town have it, but there are currently 8 places selling it here. The other towns near me also have more stations that offer it not listed. Smaller stations and many in rural areas offer it due to older tractors being used in the area. These stations also tend to be overlooked on the site.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

Gas Cut off switch to drain the carbs.

That is easy for electric pumps.

Stock Mechanical Pumps will have to use a manual shut off Valve.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

I run E85, use a tube end lube in the fuel. Either VP Racing M2 or Liquid Power Top End Lube..The latter is cheaper per gallon protected. If you want just a carb corrosion protector then use Carb Defender by Driven. But the other 2 also lube valve guides seats and cylinders.
E85 is a lot less corrosive than E10/E15 are the worst once you go past E15 the more ethanol the less corrosive it becomes.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

Leaving carbs dry will shag the acc pump jet diaphrams.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

If I'm putting a VW away for the winter I usually run the last 2 tanks with ethanol free gas and add Stabil before that last fill. There are only 2 stations within 10 miles that sell it, it costs about 50 cents more per gallon, and carb icing is more of an issue with E0.

I did a little reading about testing in other countries with hE15 blend. It seems the common aluminum corrosion issue with alcohol in the gas isn't from water but from the alcohol. Aluminum/alcohol corrosion creates aluminum hydroxide. Aluminum/water corrosion mostly regenerates the protective aluminum oxide layer. It was cheaper to use alcohol with 2% water and it minimized corrosion issues. There are potential water separation issues if blended with E0 gas and subjected to low temperatures. In small amounts water can remain mixed in a gasahol mix. That is a big part of fuel system dryer additives.

My beach buggy will be sporting an aluminum fuel tank when it hits the road again. For that reason I have been thinking about this potential issue.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: tests.. ethanol and corrosion - looking for non ethanol gas Reply with quote

Nitramrebrab72 when you say shag the diaphragms, mean damage, correct.

Explain in what way, I am interested, mine over the years using the Ethanol looked bad but also the springs were rusty and there was a white buttery looking globs.

But ---- that is an easy fix. Needing total rebuild is another story.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: