Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gonna buy a second Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Which version should I get? I know a lot you have multiple Vanagons. Do you have different versions, i.e. a Tintop and Westy, or two Westys?

I need a crashpad car in SFO. I’d love to get another camper, and a water cooled one at that. But I don’t really want to spend the money- would like spend less than $10k so that means a tintop or an air cooled camper. I think my priority is water cooled over camper. What do y’all think? Why did you get what you did?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Sounds like you want a tintop weekender in an automatic. Or at least thats what I would get.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

X's2
elizer wrote:
Sounds like you want a tintop weekender in an automatic. Or at least thats what I would get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

X3
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

i'll trade you my tin top for your camper Wink

BiWerks Design, LLC
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

We have two and they each have their advantages. Tin Top is our truck so to speak but the Queen size bed is awesome! The Westy is camper only and is used as such only. I love the Westy, its my baby but the Tin Top is awesome to drive around even on a daily basis.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck with your search!
Tim
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

ugh.. here goes:

I have 4 Vanagons strewn about the place. While true that some don't drive just now, I still want more. My fav, and daily driver is my '87 full Westy. Next on my 'list' to GET is a Wolfsburg (pop top, but not stove/fridge) with an Auto trans. Ideally, it would have Cruise and A/C, and be an '86 or newer with '88+ pref'd.

But I digress.. the non-running Vanagons on my property are on a lesser priority than the equal number of air cooled's I have now.. So, that Wolfy is a pipe dream at the moment.

The funny part is that total number VW's I have are about the same number of other makes of cars/trucks I also have, and strangely, ALL of the non-VW vehicles drive. But, I guess, that is because I have kids. One or two for each.

Boggled yet?

-bobby
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Just a warning from my experience. I could keep up on maintenance on one pretty well. Two... well, there is some deferred stuff going on. Moving one toolbox around became an issue so I started duplicating all the tools and some spares. That spare fuel pump or ignition switch won't be in the right toolbox when you need it.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
ugh.. here goes:

I have 4 Vanagons strewn about the place. While true that some don't drive just now, I still want more. My fav, and daily driver is my '87 full Westy. Next on my 'list' to GET is a Wolfsburg (pop top, but not stove/fridge) with an Auto trans. Ideally, it would have Cruise and A/C, and be an '86 or newer with '88+ pref'd.

But I digress.. the non-running Vanagons on my property are on a lesser priority than the equal number of air cooled's I have now.. So, that Wolfy is a pipe dream at the moment.

The funny part is that total number VW's I have are about the same number of other makes of cars/trucks I also have, and strangely, ALL of the non-VW vehicles drive. But, I guess, that is because I have kids. One or two for each.

Boggled yet?

-bobby

Yea, I’m looking for GPS help to get un-lost! Very Happy

I’m looking at a couple of Wolfies too! A Wolfie or Carat in a Weekender set-up would be ideal!

Slightly OT, but it seems asking prices for Vanagons are not matching up to demand. Soooo many are on the market for months! Of course, not speaking to the vans that are appropriately priced that sells within a couple weeks. Like one I missed out on in Costa Mesa, CA that sold for $5k in one week. It was in pretty good condition. I was on a work trip and was planning on seeing it the weekend I got back, but it sold the day before my return. Then there was the orly blue tin top in Santa Cruz that listed (assume sold) for $5,300 in two weeks. Then, there is the teen that has the post “Teen with a van”... the van he got for $2,500 had asking price of $7k. Listed for at least a month. Good signs that it’s a good time to buy!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Just a warning from my experience. I could keep up on maintenance on one pretty well. Two... well, there is some deferred stuff going on. Moving one toolbox around became an issue so I started duplicating all the tools and some spares. That spare fuel pump or ignition switch won't be in the right toolbox when you need it.

-d

Great point Raoul! Fortunately my Westy is in excellent mechanical and aesthetic condition. The only issue I need to fix is the loose shifting. I’ve got the shifter parts- just haven’t gotten around to it. Smile But still, for my second Vanagon, I’m willing to pay a premium for a top running van, as it will sit in the SFO employee lot while I’m home in PDX.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

i rescind my offer. just ran a bunch of errands in my 90 tintop and it made the traffic bearable. not being able to 50 in the 35 up the big hill has it's advantages when you crest and the light at the top is turning green and by the time you get to it, you sail right thru doing a solid 31!

i'm in the reverse boat. i want a weekender pop-top for the weekend camping trips and the tin top for when i need sheet plywood, drywall, or need to pick up 10 bags of mulch.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
We have two and they each have their advantages. Tin Top is our truck so to speak but the Queen size bed is awesome! The Westy is camper only and is used as such only. I love the Westy, its my baby but the Tin Top is awesome to drive around even on a daily basis.

Good luck with your search!
Tim

Thanks Tim! I love my Westy too! It’s my special baby. I have a ‘77 FJ40 that I dig, but if I had to sell one of them, it’s a no-brainer. The 40 goes!!
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
dabaron wrote:

i rescind my offer. just ran a bunch of errands in my 90 tintop and it made the traffic bearable. not being able to 50 in the 35 up the big hill has it's advantages when you crest and the light at the top is turning green and by the time you get to it, you sail right thru doing a solid 31!

i'm in the reverse boat. i want a weekender pop-top for the weekend camping trips and the tin top for when i need sheet plywood, drywall, or need to pick up 10 bags of mulch.

Dag gummit, I was just drawing up the trade contract! Laughing

I’m surprised by my Westy’s motor. I easily climb freeway hills at 65. Can cruise at 70 without full pedal throw.

Are you actively in the purchase mode? Have you noticed the demand-side weakness that I mentioned in my response to bobbyjack?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:

Are you actively in the purchase mode? Have you noticed the demand-side weakness that I mentioned in my response to bobbyjack?

i'm always watching the market. the bargains tend vanish within days to 2 weeks. there are the ones that have been for sale for a long time that are simply over priced. then there are the basketcases that will never sell.

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
dabaron wrote:

I got a HF 4x8 trailer for that second function which is easier to load, cheaper to run, and I don’t need to unload it when I get home.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

elizer wrote:

x4.

They are so much more fun and relaxing to drive.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I got a HF 4x8 trailer for that second function which is easier to load, cheaper to run, and I don’t need to unload it when I get home.

you have to plan ahead with a trailer. with the Vanagon, i can be on my way home from work and see a piece of furniture on the side of the road with a free sign on it and in she goes...

chessmate Smile

BiWerks Design, LLC
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Alright, I guess the better judgment got the better of me. Laughing

After searching for several months for that perfect airport rig, I’ve pretty much decided to forego the Vanagon and instead get a more reliable, cheap, easy, throw-away Honda or Toyota. Somewhere in the $2k range. Lots of those to be had. I’ve noticed there are a lot of good quality used cheap cars. Has it always been the case? My theory is that since there are so many millennials that have no desire to own a vehicle or even have a drivers license, the used car industry is flooded. Cars I’m seeing now, I honestly expected them to be at least 50 to 100% more than what is being asked by sellers. Any bubbas have Thoughts on why this is?
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Having two vans with the same specs can be useful for diagnostic purposes, assuming one is running well and could be a "baseline" for the other.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna buy a second Vanagon Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
Having two vans with the same specs can be useful for diagnostic purposes, assuming one is running well and could be a "baseline" for the other.

My Westy runs great. If I got another and it ran like crap compared to mine, all that would diagnose is that mine runs great! Very Happy I’m not much of a mechanic, unfortunately. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: