Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Another friend just got a damn Eurovan and is dying to get in on this whole van-camping thing asap so now I have a late-November camp trip planned…

So I ordered and just received a diesel parking heater and I’m going to document the installation and performance of this thing. I went with the “Cheap Chinese” model. There are a few that fit that description. I chose this one because it's thermostat-controlled (many of them aren't) and because it had a handful of good reviews on Amazon.

I have seen the random comment or question here or there, but haven’t really seen a deep dive into how well these things really work, so here it is (forthcoming over the next couple weeks) - with a commitment to follow up long-term and report back next year, etc - if it lasts that long Smile

I just wrapped up an aux battery installation (under the rear bench seat/bed) for my house lights and accessory plugs and the heater will be on that circuit as well.

This is the $199 Tseipoaoi model from Amazon. I’m not normally a price shopper, but this thing is a full $1,000 less than a Webasto or Eberspacher - and people seem to say that they work just fine - so that was too tempting to pass up. If it fails, I figure much of my installation work will still be applicable to a better model. They look to be all setup very similarly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT24CLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So here’s what’s in the box. Looks like everything you need, except for a few grommets and a good mounting solution for the heater unit itself. It also included a 10L fuel tank, not pictured.

One comment and one question:

The 10L (2.5 gallon) fuel tank is too large and - even worse - is a very odd shape (big and flat like a slice of bread). So I ditched that and got a smaller one, shaped not unlike a car battery, which will go in the left side of the engine bay.

That’s also from Amazon. That’s coming in a few days (5.5L/1.5 gallon):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5LPN6F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ll also be keeping a running tally of the cost of this thing. So far:
• The unit $199
• Two steel bars from the local hardware store for mounting it under the floor $16
• New fuel tank $15
>>> TOTAL SO FAR: $230
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

And here's the question:

The instruction book is almost useless. The English translation is good for a laugh, but not much else. Even the diagrams don’t make much sense. That’s fine. It’s pretty clear how these things work and how to hook it up. I just have one question:
I saw someone mention somewhere that the glow plug just has to be at the top. Since it’s mounted at one of the corners, that means I have two options for orienting the heating unit itself, right? So long as that glow plug is at the top? Is this true? Does it matter?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Cool! I’ve been real close to pulling the trigger on one of these too. From everything I’ve read they seem great. I don’t think I’ve even read about any of them failing yet. Heck they are so cheap to buy if you get 3-5 years out of it (without burning down the bus) I’d call it a winner. I’m just hesitant to take up storage space and drill holes and add the extra battery if needed.
Look forward to your installation and review. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Thanks for starting this thread, Daverham!
I just bought a similar unit too, but haven't started installing it yet.

Good idea for replacing that big tank. I'm going to use that too.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

yes, it's on the upper 'corner' for that reason so you can orient is in 2 configurations.

there is a great thread and conversations over in the vanagon forum on these heaters. and for the life of me I don't know why more Bays haven't joined in the warmth.
Anyone tried these $179 Webasto heater knockoffs?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703569

Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726441

there are more of course but these are the most current.

as a quick FYI on the heater this youtuber is recommended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwmU_CcmGI
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I almost went down this road a few years ago.

I have my big battery with fuse panel and power converter on the right side under the rear seat (full width 74 westy type) and was going to put the heater on the left. There was enough space for the pipes and fuel line to go through the floor.

Fuel tank was going to sit between the rear closet and hatch.

Your local Espar dealer has all the air handling fittings if you need them.

Give some thought to adding a CO monitor if you plan to sleep in the vehicle.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I used mine last winter and never slept with it on. I would just knock the chill off before bed. I drove with it on often and enjoyed it.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I wish there was a gasoline version available.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Awesome. Tons of great information already! I've been reading through that Vanagon thread - a gold mine of experience, links and information there.

If you're looking into these things, don't miss that:
Quote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I'm still getting through it.

Meanwhile, I've been taking short breaks from work to go out and fab up my mounting brackets. Almost done. I'll be posting more install pics by tomorrow hopefully.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I’ve read the Vanagon thread several times, very interested in this thread. The other thread went off the rails a few times between dealing with eBay pricing and the detractors.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I made a couple steel brackets from flat stock available at the hardware store. I'm looking for the best location to put this thing and I think this is it. I'd rather it was slightly less visible from the outside, but it meets all my other criteria, which are more important to me:
• Outside the cabin (for fire-safety reasons)
• Close to the factory floor vent inlet
• Not crammed in too tight with factory cables, wires, etc.

I'd love to move it a bit more inboard, but the exhaust and combustion air pipes would be too close to that frame rail. They need room for wide-radius turns.

The brackets fit the unit perfectly and now I'm mocking it up to test for location and fit. After that's all confirmed I'll paint them and re-spray some undercoating on the surrounding areas as well - before bolting it up.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Popcorn

Interesting. I've seen those and wondered how they worked.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

There's a long thread over on Expedition Portal about these as well, is this the V1 or V2 version (plastic or metal housing)? The ad didn't make a distinction. These can be set up in a toolbox or case to be used as a portable heater.

From what I've read, the glow plug needs to be at the top when installed, not sure how you are planning on mounting it, thought I'd pass that on. Here's the thread over on EP:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/200-5kw-portable-diesel-air-heater.191458/
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

They also make these in a portable unit. I’ve considered going this route as well and removing it in the summer. Might come in handy for other things too.
Still would need to figure out routing for the exhaust and intake.
I like the exterior mounting idea. I know I try and use the limited interior space we have for other things. Winters coming and I’m head scratching. Very Happy

https://www.ebay.com/i/264508045357?chn=ps&nor...gLzFvD_BwE
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

which is why I wouldn't consider a portable unit, as it's in my way when I'm loaded up and traveling.
plus you can't use the portable unit for comfort heating while driving..
what good would that be..
we took an Oct trip 2 weeks ago, nice crisp clear days (and nights) and my bay friends all bundled with lap blankets and gloves..
I had to crack a window, heat is a wonderful thing when it's cold out.

71whitewesty wrote:
They also make these in a portable unit. I’ve considered going this route as well and removing it in the summer. Might come in handy for other things too.
Still would need to figure out routing for the exhaust and intake.
I like the exterior mounting idea. I know I try and use the limited interior space we have for other things. Winters coming and I’m head scratching. Very Happy

https://www.ebay.com/i/264508045357?chn=ps&nor...gLzFvD_BwE
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Yeah, I always thought I was too tough (or something like that) for luxuries like heat. Figured it was optional. Then I went camping last November with my dad in his beat old RV.... which has propane heat. Oh yeah! That was NICE! We abandon the campfire early to go drink beer inside instead. And it takes a lot to pull me away from a good campfire!
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Does anyone know how hot the exhaust pipes on these things get? It would rock my world if I could connect the exhaust pipe via a silicon elbow, which is rated to 374˚F. Seems like that might cover it, don't you think?

I know I can get a copper (plumbing) elbow and that would certainly work just fine up to 1800˚F or so. So next question: Does putting a 90-bend in an exhaust pipe cause excessive heat buildup for any reason? I'm sure a big, flowing radius is better. But does anyone know for sure if this is something that should be considered? Or maybe not really a problem?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I don't but this guy does

take his methods for what you will

Link
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

This guy uses a 90 bend, Though a bit out from the case. it’s from the link I posted earlier. There’s some different temp readings and power usage specs n the discussion as well. My understanding is the outlet temps are pretty reasonable.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

man I always get a chuckle at those RTT guys trying to play westy

I'm sure it's like the one they get when our Westys try to play 4x4.

I'll take the westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: