Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

For my door hinges, I had to drill the heads off, to remove the doors. I then bent the tabs back holding the retaining plate and removed it from the car. I then placed it in a vice and proceeded to weld on nuts to the remaining screw shafts. With the nuts welded to the shafts, a quick few turns with a socket and viola - a good useable retainer with clean threads!

The worst part was waiting for new screws to arrive.

Oh, I was semi lucky on the lower one. I had already removed the heater channel. That allowed my fat hand to be able to touch (barely) the retaining plate tabs. I know you can reach from the trunk side, but going from below was way easier! It was an accident find! Love when that kind of stuff happens!

Good luck and hope it goes easily, regardless of approach!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Good luck, Don. Cool car!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I hammered at the door hinge screws with the impact driver with no result. The metal the screws are made of is softer than the tools used to extract them so too much force just destroys them. The screws are not actually rusted, just really really tight. The two I did get out, once I broke them loose, spun right out. The rest I will drill out. I've done this several times and it works a treat. I was just hoping they would come out the way the fender bolts have. It is miraculous the way the fenders are coming off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rear apron and the bottoms of the rear fenders have several stress cracks, I wonder what the owner got up to in this car!

He was also quite the innovator (farmer) in his body repairs. Lots of screws holding things together. I think he must have really loved this car to have taken the time and trouble to make these sort of repairs.

I wish someone would have taken his torch away though. Some very strange brazing on the car.

Does anyone know a good way of breaking the distributor loose without damaging it? I once got one out with a large pipe wrench but I really don't want to do that with this one:

According to the VIN the car was built in early August 1954 and the 2 date codes I have found so far are July 1954.

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Very nice project Don! I will be following this with interest. The car looks to be very complete, and solid from the pictures so far. Good luck.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Well, rats. I couldn't separate the engine from the gearbox. A whole new set of challenges. If the engine wasn't seized I would drill a hole in the bell housing and unbolt the pressure plate but since it is stuck solid I will have to think of something else.

Typical country car, loaded with topsoil:

Don
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Does it have any oil in the engine? Just curious what the inside may be like. Did you have thoughts of trying to salvage it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

It is the numbers matching motor from the car so I will do everything possible to save it. Right now I am considering trying to dismantle the engine while it is still in the car. I pulled the dipstick out and there was a little oil on the end. It will have to come apart to know for sure what is inside. I'll pull the oil pan off tonight.

Don
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

good luck, hope it's just not a pile of mushy metal
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I took the oil pan off the motor yesterday and there was a big gush of clean, clear water.

Don
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I took the oil pan off the motor yesterday and there was a big gush of clean, clear water.

Don

Ah crap. Well that's not good. What are you going to do?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

For those unfamiliar with this substance, it is wet oily sludge. Commonly found in old engines that were poorly taken care of. Don't be a Dick, change your oil!

Below we see the moment of victory. An hour and a half to dislodge the friction disk from the transmission input shaft. Take that rust!

A little bit of lubrication will help it slip right in. (or out as the case may be)

Rotten, dirty, nasty ugly. Almost 3 hours to get the heads off.

Say hello to my little friend, the dead blow hammer.

The push rods were in excellent condition.

You may not be able to tell but these are dished pistons. I will *try* to save them. Also also: There is not even a hint of a ridge at the top of the cylinders and the one remaining undamaged is smooth as a baby's bum. Very sad, a perfectly good engine destroyed through neglect.

Will ATF dislodge the stuck pistons? Only time will tell. Stay tuned for the next episode of WTF Happened Here?!

Last edited by sunroof on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:53 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
WTF Happened Here?!

Neglect followed by water and time.

Nice job getting that head off in one piece! That is really hard to do.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Try a strap wrench on the distributor, but only after soaking the dist/ engine case interface with a good quality penetrating oil like Kroil for at least a week.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Of course the distributor is stuck solid in the case.

Eureka! WD40 and a Very Big strap wrench got it out. Very rare VJU4 BR3T date code 6K or June 1954

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Great that you got the dist out. Do invest in better penetrating oil than the WD-40 you have now.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I've tried all kinds of penetrating oil and WD40 works about as well as any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

Liquid Wrench for the win!

Also: The problem with the distributors I have had trouble with in the past has always been the rubber O-ring glued to the case. Penetrating oil will not help with this.

Don
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

Also: The problem with the distributors I have had trouble with in the past has always been the rubber O-ring glued to the case. Penetrating oil will not help with this.

It does once the distributor has been gotten to shift slightly, so the strap wrench is a must for that. Oil can then work around the seal as it is shifted. Plus since it is the aim to pull the distributor out, so a lubricant in the bore above the rubber seal helps to get it to slide much easier on the way up/out.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

At some point someone decided to take the rear bumper off and broke both bolts doing it. As with several other places on the car he got out his torch and started brazing. I did a bit of damage cutting the bracket off and at first considered trying to repair the mount. Looking at it carefully I noticed that it was paper thin in spots and decided to remove and replace it with new.

At this point I am waiting for a Wolfparts bumper bracket mount. I wasted a bit of money buying one from CIP but it was thin (wrong gauge of metal) and the wrong shape so it goes on the "to trade" pile.

I got the case apart but was unable to save the dished pistons. It is quite furry inside but looks useable. I will take it to a machine shop to get it cleaned since I would rather pay someone to stick it in the dish washer than spend hours with a brush and Varsol myself.

Original fiber gear camshaft in what looks to be useable condition. The pushrods looked pretty good as well. Sadly I did not think to mark them as they came out so they won't get reused. Happily they are cheap and plentiful unlike cams.

I had to drill the screws out of the bottom door hinge to get the door off. I wasn't too worried as the base of the A-pillar needs to be changed. I am going to give CIP one more chance to sell me a usable piece of sheet metal. I am reluctant to buy from Virtanen since he sold me a useless part in the past.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 am; edited 8 times in total
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Too funny! This is my early 55 that was originally from Winnipeg also. It has the ultra maroon paint underneath that coral red paint job. They must of came from the same body shop. Lol..

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Don

Good progress on the body work. Looks like you are gaining on the engine tear down too.

I am at the same place you are for body work with my '56, which I hope to start after the New Year.

Tom

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 34

Jump to: