Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Long Have You Owned Yours?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

I have had my doka for 3 years this thanksgiving.

My Vanagon, I have been driving for 14 years but have technically only owned it for 7. My parents bought it brand new in 1990 and it has been in my life for all but 3 years. Its due to hit 300K this spring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

1985 Westy: purchased 1997, sold 2014 = 17 years
1990 Westy: purchased 2014, still own it = 6 1/2 years

Nearly half my life owning a Vanagon. I owned a Bay for little over a year in 1991 and a GMC van for a few years before that (Moved to Seattle in it with two bmw motorcycles, a girlfriend and two cats. I still have one of the bikes.)

Fun question!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

I've had the pleasure of owning our 1987 Westy half camper for just over 25 years. We got her in January of 1994. Before that was a 1983-1/2 tin top with an enormous sun roof that we purchased several years earlier.

While I do miss the sun roof, the van had many quirky issues (I was still quite ignorant and the internet wasn't very helpful at that time) and the bench seat did not fold into a bed. The 1987 was a tremendous upgrade.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

33 years, 1986 Westy Basic Camper (Weekender) bought brand new in Nov. '86.
Only used as a tripping vehicle and spends the rest of its' life in the garage. It has 164,000 miles and is still running great on the original 2.1 and original tranny.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

I moved into my van when I divorced my first wife. I ran a business out of it for a few years. I married my second wife in the van over 25 years. I don’t think life existed before the van🤔John
dplumtree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

1990 full camper 2nd owner. bought in 2009 so 10 years of adventures and the hope for many more.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Well the Westy I am driving these days My Grand parents picked up brand new in 85 in Germany I remember riding in it some before it blew the head gasket it went into the barn some time around 1994. I tried to do the head gaskets in High school in 2004 but did not seat the push rods right and could not get it to start it sat in the barn until 2017 when it was time to pull it out again and bring it to my house. now I drive it tons after the work of getting it back out on the open road. My 1990 Syncro My mother purchased brand new over the phone on a credit card and drove it until 1999 it sat around my parents house for a while before being set to a mechanic where it spent 3 more years sitting before we got it back and in 2004 it became my van and has been since. the Doka I just picked up in February and have a long way to go before I am driving that. The last Vanagon to talk about is the 1987 Westy that my grand parents again picked up brand new in Germany to tour Europe for the summer with and were un able to sell either the 85 or the 87 for what they wanted it sat next to the barn from 1987 until 1994 when it was put on the road when the 85 blew a head gasket and my grand parents drove and camped in until this year when it moved on to my Parents.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

I bought Winston on September 5, 2005. The good times don't seem as long as the calendar shows that they were...

Best!
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
... I married my second wife in the van ...

That's a fun wedding! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Pictures?

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

No that was before I phones and digital cameras. I wasn’t convinced getting married a second time was a good idea. But I left Vermont for Florida with $500 got married bought wedding rings and a honeymoon and came back with some change so I figured it was going to be alright. My dog said she could stay because the food got better when she showed up. It’s been over 25 years one kid and 4 dogs later John
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
No that was before I phones and digital cameras. I wasn’t convinced getting married a second time was a good idea. But I left Vermont for Florida with $500 got married bought wedding rings and a honeymoon and came back with some change so I figured it was going to be alright. My dog said she could stay because the food got better when she showed up. It’s been over 25 years one kid and 4 dogs later John

At least you didn’t buy a ring and a pinion.

Congrats. I owned my last Vanagon,the tip top diesel ,from 1987 to 2000. I still miss her, beautiful white on blue , 30 mpg, and beautiful heat in conservative and cold Ithaca NY.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Abscate on Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
I moved into my van when I divorced my first wife. I ran a business out of it for a few years. I married my second wife in the van over 25 years. I don’t think life existed before the van🤔John

I've always enjoyed your updates in your build thread.

It's good to see a van go from storage to camping. Now there's more backstory. Well done.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673792&highlight=

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Newbie to the group with my current van. 87 Syncro I got in 2015.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

only four years on this vanagon, but previous vanagon was a few years too and i’ve had the bus for 15 now.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

36 years. Bought it in 1993. Was looking for a Westy camper. Answered an ad for something called a "Syncro". Had no idea what that meant. Ended up with a Syncro that I had no idea even existed. Cool
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
36 years. Bought it in 1993...

https://www.google.com/search?q=2019-1993&oq=2...p;ie=UTF-8
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
izzydog wrote:
36 years. Bought it in 1993...

https://www.google.com/search?q=2019-1993&oq=2...p;ie=UTF-8

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Quote:
36 years. Bought it in 1993

10 years of planning and research were added... Good Planning... Very Happy
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Wow. Several hundred years for you guys combined!
Just 1 year for us, but already some good times. Love working on it too!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:
36 years. Bought it in 1993

10 years of planning and research were added... Good Planning... Very Happy

Imperial years correction.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: