Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

I popped the shift rod cover off and noticed the compartment had a film of oil on everything. However, not so much that I would think it would cause the buildup that I observed under the vehicle. So, guessing it's the reverse switch. If not, then I'll order up a gasket kit.

As far as the front WW bumper. I just couldn't do it. Sent it back. 1.4mm is ridiculously thin. I've ordered a used OEM front from someone I've had good luck with before. Hopefully the bumper will be serviceable.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Although I plan on blasting and cleaning up my orig heater boxes (yes, I know they put out more heat), I grabbed a pair of Dansk boxes. I'll use these as this will be a Summer only vehicle (and store my originals). These had a few scratches and some spots of minor surface rust from sitting around (scratched areas). Cleaned them up and started the process last night. Baking one here, but not very effectively. Not hot enough, so when I coat the other side, they will get baked in the over (wife out of town, so it's safe). I like the primer grey coating color. Same color the whole exhaust will get (except for heater control boxes and tailpipe, which will be black). Slowly but surely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Orig windshield fixed. Engine out for seals and detailing. Replacing all the Bosch 2-pin FI connectors with Bosch's current offerings ( a better plug connector).

Think I'll do ahead and drop, clean and reseal the transaxle while the engine is out.

Buddy (body shop owner) and I spent about 1-1 1/2 hr fixing the very big and noticeable rock chick right in the center of this pic. Amazed how well it turned out.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

DeMinimis wrote:
Orig windshield fixed... fixing the very big and noticeable rock chick right in the center of this pic. Amazed how well it turned out.

Ok... I'll bite. Howdjaduit?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

He does windshields as one of their services. I lured him to my evil lair (shop) with the promise of beers. It's quite a process with forcing a special glue into the chip and sucking air out. It took a long time as we had to keep working the glue into the voids with thumb pressure on the backside of the rock chip. After the glue is infused as good as it gets, then there's a filler glue that goes on the outside of the rick chip. This is smoothed with a piece of clear plastic thin sheet while that glue cures (UV activated). Since not a parking lot rush job, we left the surface glue in place over night (no UV). Next day, I put it out in the sun for a couple of hours, and excess was shaved smooth. Cost two beers. I've had a number of rock chips fixed over the years by others (come to your work parking lot kinda deals). I've never had the rock chip disappear like this. Was definitely worth the extra effort.

Oh, when time, he's sending a couple of his good installers to come install my windshield. It's good to have friends. This is the same outfit that thoughtfully painted the Bug 10 years ago.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

DeMinimis wrote:
He does windshields as one of their services. I lured him to my evil lair (shop) with the promise of beers. It's quite a process with forcing a special glue into the chip and sucking air out. It took a long time as we had to keep working the glue into the voids with thumb pressure on the backside of the rock chip. After the glue is infused as good as it gets, then there's a filler glue that goes on the outside of the rick chip. This is smoothed with a piece of clear plastic thin sheet while that glue cures (UV activated). Since not a parking lot rush job, we left the surface glue in place over night (no UV). Next day, I put it out in the sun for a couple of hours, and excess was shaved smooth. Cost two beers. I've had a number of rock chips fixed over the years by others (come to your work parking lot kinda deals). I've never had the rock chip disappear like this. Was definitely worth the extra effort.

Oh, when time, he's sending a couple of his good installers to come install my windshield. It's good to have friends. This is the same outfit that thoughtfully painted the Bug 10 years ago.

Fantastic
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Yanked the orig tar boards. A bit more cleaning, but like the rest of this car, zero rust. New boards going in after trimming, holes, etc. Shop floor is getting too crowded, so I'll drop the trans after I finish up the engine.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Not bad for a 41yo engine. Once my bevy of shims arrive, I should be able to set it at a solid .004.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

The weather tossed a curveball last Spring. Snow came with a vengeance. Since I had a lot of outdoor sandblasting to do (exhaust and engine tin), I basically stalled out. Slowly getting back after it. Everything blasted and painted. Replaced cooler seals today. Will rebuild the injector assemblies tomorrow. After that I'll start reassembling the engine tin and exhaust. Still no Bilsteins for the front (back ordered since January. I'm thinking I'll have to go with something else up front). That's about it. Got sidetracked with other projects (and I have two other big projects that need more immediate attention as well -hardwood floors in the house and a Bigfoot truck camper gut and rebuild). I need an assistant.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Just a non-update. I've been busy with house projects, so the Bug languishes in large part. I did sandblast tin and exhaust and repaint as required. I also tackled the old Bosch FI connectors. The new and improved Bosch connectors are heaps better. Also got fancy with the clips/pins (much better holding power). Redid the injectors too. Hope to get back after it eventually.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Good progress. Especially with this level of attention to detail.

That fuel injection harness work is worthwhile to eliminate gremlins. I did my air-cooled vanagon harness, removing the sheath from it all, and found cracks and worn-through areas, and brown heat-stained areas, in between the bundles of wires. I repaired with heat shrink wrap, new connectors, phosphoric acid etching the connectors that were kept, and brush-on electrical tape (coating) to seal and insulate where the wires rub on each other. Then zip sheathed it all up again. It was learning a whole new thing going through that FI system and once it was all dialed in it ran really good, in any tempurature. I think it's the same system in a bug, with the AFM and ECU what not.

The bug is still looking great.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Thank you sir. Engine purred, but it was only a matter of time before the broken connectors, dried FI seals, etc started causing problems. I really do need to get back to work on it.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

I second how much better the new FI connectors are...so much easier to take off.
Great car
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Vert: Okay, after nearly 14 years, I'm out of excuses Reply with quote

Thank you sir. Air compressor down. New one arrives Thursday. I have a feeling I'm going to get back after this.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: