Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles"
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Hello,
I just had to share this with you folks here on the Porsche fourm.
These are pictures that I took in Ventura Ca. when down there in January.
I had seen this car there previous times, but this time I stopped and asked some questions.
The owner and son are homeless(various reasons) and have been camping out of/sleeping in this car behind a gas station in the public parking area for some time now. Unlike the folks in the background of the picture(motor homes), they would rather live in his fathers car than sell it, and better their current position. Go figure......
I must say, the man had his principles. I asked if he would like to sell it after some talking and all, on various occasions . But the answer was a absolute "no" with a shake of the head... I guess that's being homeless in the "California Style".... "Everyone, has a dream"....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, that is a removable hard top.... not just a coup....
Like, I said before. Go figure....
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Stlye "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Yah crazy, you would think if pulled uo with a smaller motorhome or high top camper van worth $20,000 they would swap.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

My dream car wish I had it..I would be in heaven on the real ...
vwbeck3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

My son lives in Ventura and Sees this car all the time.
Only in Southern California will you see this.
Can’t blame the guy.
If you’re homeless you might as well do it in style.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

vwbeck3 wrote:
My son lives in Ventura and Sees this car all the time.
Only in Southern California will you see this.
Can’t blame the guy.
If you’re homeless you might as well do it in style.

It's just shows how much he loves his car that's awesome it's his baby ...he maybe poor but he knows what others wish they had his 356 even though he may not have much he can always brag that he's poor but the well off don't have what he has or wish they had ..... im one I wish I had it ..ill keep dreaming for one ..hes a luck guy to have that 356 😤😢😁
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Much better to have a beat up Porsche and use it every day than a pristine "Trailer Queen" that spends it's days on a pedestal because it's owner is afraid of getting a scratch or dent. I just hope he has insurance so the cops don't impound it and he loses it due to being down on his luck.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

do they invite him to the local porsche club meets? that would be neighbourly...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

assuming he has no other debts his net worth is higher than 95% of anyone else in this country!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
assuming he has no other debts his net worth is higher than 95% of anyone else in this country!!

Maybe?

From Google:
Quote:
The median net worth of the average U.S. household is $97,300.
and
Quote:
Median and average net worth by age
Under 35: Median net worth: $11,100 (average net worth: $76,200).
35-44: $59,800 ($288,700).
45-54: $124,200 ($727,500).
55-64: $187,300 ($1,167,400).
65-74: $224,100 ($1,066,000).
75+: $264,800 ($1,067,000).

Note: Average is a skewed thing because of the ultra-rich so look at the median.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

I love and appreciate that you looked this up Laughing

I guess it would depend on what that 356 is "worth" and what his approx age is? I can appreciate him hanging on to it despite his living situation though.

EverettB wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

Maybe?

From Google:
Quote:
The median net worth of the average U.S. household is $97,300.
and
Quote:
Median and average net worth by age
Under 35: Median net worth: $11,100 (average net worth: $76,200).
35-44: $59,800 ($288,700).
45-54: $124,200 ($727,500).
55-64: $187,300 ($1,167,400).
65-74: $224,100 ($1,066,000).
75+: $264,800 ($1,067,000).

Note: Average is a skewed thing because of the ultra-rich so look at the median.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Yes, that was my thought too - What's this Porsche worth?

Since it's a father and son, I guess there are 2 ages to consider if you want to get more specific than the overall average .

Need more data. Very Happy

How old is the son? For some reason I was thinking they were both adults but maybe not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Only in California...

If this was in Maine, Kansas, heck, just about anywhere north of the 38th Latitude and away from the expensive coastal cities, after 1 single chilly November night, he'd trade that car for $25k and get into a 1 room bungalow quicker than your can say 'Eberspacher heater'
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

I don’t know where you’re from, but here in California that car wouldn’t last one minute on the market for $25k Shocked
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I don’t know where you’re from, but here in California that car wouldn’t last one minute on the market for $25k Shocked

No kidding Jack. Easy $60,000 + for a driver Cabriolet.

The guy is fortunate to have the removable hardtop...
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Instead of discussing the value of their cool old car, I hope that Dad and son both have a nice Christmas together with that 356. Some of the 356 crowd in the neighborhood ought to get together and bring them a hot meal or take them out for a Christmas dinner. I know if I were in their shoes, I'd sure appreciate something like that on Christmas from fellow enthusiasts...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Instead of discussing the value of their cool old car, I hope that Dad and son both have a nice Christmas together with that 356. Some of the 356 crowd in the neighborhood ought to get together and bring them a hot meal or take them out for a Christmas dinner. I know if I were in their shoes, I'd sure appreciate something like that on Christmas from fellow enthusiasts...
Bill

that's what I was asking earlier on, but answer came there none...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
vwbeck3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

The Porsche now has a for sale sign in it.
I just talked to the guy and he wants $100,000 for the car.
It’s a 1959, He states it has some racing history with it.
He appears to know the value of the cars and knows about the samba and the 356 registry.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

I hope he can get a place to live using the money from the sale, if that is his intent.

If anyone is in contact with him and he needs help posting an ad here, feel free to email me
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Can you guys put a " thesamba go fund me" for me so I can have my dream car it's only 100,000 come folks 👍👍 ...i wish I could own it but to poor for it 😣😢🤣😂🤣
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Homeless California Style "A Man with his Principles" Reply with quote

Selling it to fund a Barndoor Deluxe. Far more comfortable...
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: