Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Audi 60l F103
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Audi60pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Audi 60l F103 Reply with quote

Hey,

After many years having fun with various VWs I have now just got hold of an Audi 60L 1968 now I know its not a VW but its close enough!

I have got a few plans for it but wondered if anyone has worked on these before? and if anyone has slammed one before? Just doing a bit of research before I start working on it.

Cheers,
Pete
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Audi 60l F103 Reply with quote

Fascinating cars... clearly the visual and mechanical predecessor to the very popular 100 series cars, and still very clean looking. Remarkably advanced for it's time, it drew from earlier DKW models, too. M-B engine, if I remember right, eh? Post up pics!
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Audi 60l F103 Reply with quote

Yes - post up pics. VW probably wouldn't be around today if they hadn't purchased Audi and used their tech for the water cooled FWD VW's. They supplied the DNA for modern VW's, so I agree - "close enough."

I'm no help, I just like seeing old/unique Euro cars Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Audi 60l F103 Reply with quote

VW is and "interesting" company in a country of industry, that would not have been allowed to fail. The point of VW is full employment.
GM and Toyota both build the same number of cars & trucks that VW builds every year, but GM and Toyota do it with ½ and 1/3 less employees.

Audi was owned by Daimler-Benz when purchased by VW in '65, and was making what I'd call weird ass cars with 2 stroke engines.
Quote:
From Wiki: The decision to dispose of the Auto Union business was based on its lack of profitability. Ironically, by the time they sold the business, it also included a large new factory and near production-ready modern four-stroke engine, which would enable the Auto Union business, under a new owner, to embark on a period of profitable growth, now producing not Auto Unions or DKWs, but using the "Audi" name, resurrected in 1965 after a 25-year gap
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi
It is interesting to note that VW/Audi as we know it was greatly shaped by Ferdinand Piëch.
Quote:
From Wiki:
Ferdinand Karl Piëch (German pronunciation: [ˈpiː.ɛç]; born 17 April 1937) is an Austrian business magnate, engineer and executive who was the chairman of the executive board (Vorstandsvorsitzender) of Volkswagen Group in 1993-2002 and the chairman of the supervisory board (Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender) of Volkswagen Group in 2002-2015.[2]

A grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, Piëch started his career at Porsche, before leaving for Audi after an agreement that no member of the Porsche or Piëch families should be involved in the day-to-day operations of the Porsche company. Piëch eventually became the head of Audi, where he is credited with evolving and growing Audi into a competitor to equal Mercedes-Benz and BMW, thanks in part to innovative designs such as the Quattro and 100. In 1993, Piëch became the chairman and CEO of Volkswagen Group, which he is credited with turning into the large conglomerate it is today; He oversaw the purchase of Lamborghini and Bentley, as well as the founding of Bugatti Automobiles, all of which he integrated with the Volkswagen, Škoda, SEAT and Audi brands into a ladder-type structure similar to that used by Alfred Sloan at General Motors. Piëch was required to retire at age 65 per Volkswagen company policy, but he remained on its supervisory board and was involved in the company's strategic decisions until his resignation on 25 April 2015.[3]

Educated as an engineer, Piëch influenced the development of numerous significant cars including the Porsche 917, 911, Audi Quattro and notably, the Bugatti Veyron, which as of 2012 was the fastest, most powerful and most expensive road legal automobile ever built. Due to his influence on the automobile industry, Piëch was named the Car Executive of the Century in 1999[4] and was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_917
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Pi%C3%ABch
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Audi 60l F103 Reply with quote

A great read if you are into Audi/Auto Union and its history, lots of photos:
https://www.amazon.com/History-Progress-Chronicle-Audi-Ag/dp/0837603846
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/audi-a-history-of...gJilPD_BwE
https://www.ebay.com/i/163600407211?chn=ps&nor...gKeCvD_BwE

There are multiple versions over the years, some in B&W, some in color, with the latest models added to the later printings, so not a big deal if you are looking for history. I have a '88 softcover version given out to employees at the time like the third link above. Fascinating, and has a few VW/Porsche tidbits, too.

As a kid, I thought Audi was an acronym, something like Auto Union Deutsche I??? but came to find out its a Latin twist on Horch's name after his old company sued him for (egad!) using his own last name in his new company name.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Audi 60l F103 Reply with quote

I love Audi's, too, but google and check out engine and suspension bushing issues on some models and years. They can cost more than the car to address.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: