Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cadmium plating?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Cadmium plating? Reply with quote

I'm looking to get my original fender bolts replated - does anyone have a recommendation for a shop that does small batches for cadmium plating?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cadmium plating? Reply with quote

Do a search on the site. I know there are several references to plating companies in the Ghia forum but I cannot remember the specic thread names.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadmium plating? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Do a search on the site. I know there are several references to plating companies in the Ghia forum but I cannot remember the specic thread names.

I appreciate the suggestion. I did do a search on the site, but was unable to find recommendations for a cadmium plater, other than "do it yourself" kit manufacturers. If you can remember the specific thread which describes a recommended plater (or even the name of the plater), I would appreciate it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadmium plating? Reply with quote

This post from "rbsurfguy" in the "What did you do to your ghia this week?" thread is one I remember.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8745012#8745012

He did Zinc plating and it looks like that is the bulk of the work that "Parker Metal Finishing" Does. http://parkermetalfinishing.com/our-services/

It may not be exactly what you are looking for but it's a start. I hope this helps.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadmium plating? Reply with quote

Buy a kit from Eastwood etc & do your own plating at home where they won't get lost!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadmium plating? Reply with quote

Thanks - it does look like that particular place does only zinc plating, but it may be they do cadmium plating, but just don't list it (like the place I've ended up going to, King of Trim). I understand cadmium is a bit less environmentally friendly, so not as many places do it, but cadmium plating is 2x more corrosion resistant than zinc, so it's great for fender bolts (what I'm doing) or pan bolts, like original.

I only wish the place I'm using did "gun metal gray" color cadmium plating. I'm having to do silver. Oh, well... it will gray out as it oxidizes, until it eventally looks almost black, like parts of my original bolts look now..

The only reason I didn't decide to do the kits is my fear of having a thin or uneven plating.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cadmium plating? Reply with quote

I considered different finishes for my fender bolts, but ultimately paid about $20 to set up my own zinc plating kit. It works fast, you can re-strike the part many times if you want to build up thickness, and in the end it is actually fun.

Here is a link to the thread I started:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605517&highlight=zinc

When you’re done, you discard a solution of salt, sugar, and basically Moss Out.

Not as environmentally unfriendly as other plating options.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cadmium plating? Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
I considered different finishes for my fender bolts, but ultimately paid about $20 to set up my own zinc plating kit. It works fast, you can re-strike the part many times if you want to build up thickness, and in the end it is actually fun.

That sounds cool. I think I'll go order one and play around with it. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: