Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

I bought a 1914cc engine in a car, and it will start and run when it's cold and idle just fine, until it warms up. Dual 44's, the works...

After it warms up, you cannot start it, unless you jump start it. It will die after warming up, or driving it for a few minutes. The only way to start it back up, is to jump start it.

When you try and start it up after it dies... it turns over VERY very slowly...

I have a brand new battery in it.

I am stumped.. any help is appreciated.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

Have you looked at the cable ends, starter bushing, ground strap, had the starter tested? Lots of threads on hard starting engines.

brad
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Have you looked at the cable ends, starter bushing, ground strap, had the starter tested? Lots of threads on hard starting engines.

brad

But starts very quickly without issue when it's cold...
And seems like it runs HOT.
bigdaveb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

VW Addict,

I could be wrong, but it seems like there may be two separate, yet related, issues. You mention that the engine runs hot, so it may be a good idea to make sure that ALL the tins are in place, thermostat flaps are functioning, engine bay is properly sealed, timing is correct, etc. - basically anything that could be out of sorts that would cause the engine to get too hot.

Related to an overly hot engine, there may issues with the fuel system and the starter. From you description, it seems that the starter may be suffering from heat soaking. Excessive heat typically causes increased resistance in conductors, not only in the starter windings, but also the starter solenoid at times. This really depends on how hot the engine and exhaust system gets. The jump start could be helping to create just enough "break over" power to overcome this resistance. As an experiment, you could wrap the starter assembly with heat shielding and see if the symptoms persists.

As Slalombuggy says, check all the basics - but it also may be a good idea to do a thorough inspection of the above-mentioned items, since it seems that there is a chronic thermal issue. Perhaps some photos would also be helpful to identify some of the issues.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

By won’t start, do you mean the starter isn’t spinning or that it just turns over but won’t fire? Is it spinning and firing but won’t catch?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
By won’t start, do you mean the starter isn’t spinning or that it just turns over but won’t fire? Is it spinning and firing but won’t catch?

When warm... turns over like a 6v, or slower... and not enough to start it.
New battery. No issues starting when cold. Idles great... but once hot, dies.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

Electrical resistance goes up with temperature. IF you have a bad cable or end and it's hot it might not pass enough amperage to turn over a starter. Also if the starter motor is bad or if it is dragging due to a bad bushing it will be dragging the available voltage to power things like coils down and can cause a no start.

brad
bigdaveb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:
No issues starting when cold. Idles great... but once hot, dies.

When it dies, is it sudden stop or is a gradual sputtering? This may be helpful to determine if an electrical issue or fuel issue is causing the engine to die. I'm still under the impression that the hot starting issue is related to heat saturation.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

check the timing? Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
check the timing? Wink

And we have a winner!!!
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

I have adjusted the valves. A few were tight.
I have adjusted the timing, to where it needs to be, It was off a little.

It seems like it may be running better, but my problem still exists.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

VW Addict wrote:
I have adjusted the timing, to where it needs to be, It was off a little.

And that is?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

I’m going on the electrical gremlin bandwagen as well, for now.
Clean all the ground points including the tranny strap.

If it persists then I would suspect the starter motor.

I’ve seen timing and valve errors cause a slow rotation on start but there was always coughing involved and they would be evident cold or hot.

My money is on the starter. When it gets hot (ie. engine temperature) either the inductance of the windings change or a bearing starts to drag.

Interestingly enough, my old 1914 started to barely turn over as well.
Turned out it was on its way to seizing completely. Lots of internal problems. Anyway, that turned over slowly cold as well so I’m not trying to suggest that your engine is shot.

Holy Cow!
I didn’t realize starters are that expensive now!
I paid $59.95 for a new Bosch SR15. Granted, that was 15 years ago but now they’re $100.00 more?

I should’ve bought a pallet of them back then. It could fund my retirement.

nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

Years ago ----- LIke 45 years ago I had a similar problem. Would drive from 35 miles to my parent home and the car started fine cold. When i arrive and shut it off and tried to restarted it, it would not start. If I very slowly started with a garden hose, pm light spray to slowly cool the engine and not crack something, it would start.

THe problem was a compression issue. Lack of Compression. Yours , Yes maybe starter, but can be mechanical???
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

How many miles on the engin?
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

How many miles on the engin?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

Check your trans strap
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

Changed the starter and bearing this morning and it's running SO much better. Thank you so much!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
My money is on the starter.

Yay! I Win!

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1914cc Built Engine Overheating? Will run Cold not hot Questions Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

brad

I was first past the post Very Happy

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: