Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Ok. This is a new one to me despite having owned a few deluxes, both barndoor and later.

I was reading a thread on the "split buses" forum when I came across reference to a cable tube for the wiring loom on deluxe buses. I'm currently working on my deluxe project and could do with some more details in terms of conduit size, where it sits, how far it extends from the pans, etc. Basically as much information as possible please!!!!

Photo was posted by Everett on the above mentioned thread, but is not original so for reference only:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring conduit details on belly pan buses??? Reply with quote

It's not a deluxe only feature. It's any bus that had belly pans. Double doors and sunroof busses. So should be in the duraclean bus too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

I have an original tube from a 60 that I can get some specs from but it may take some time as I am in the midst of a shop move and will need to dig around for it. So if it’s not urgent....

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: wiring conduit details on belly pan buses??? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
It's not a deluxe only feature. It's any bus that had belly pans. Double doors and sunroof busses. So should be in the duraclean bus too.

100% dude, (I was careful with the thread title Cool ). I can only imagine that this detail is missing on a lot of modern restorations where the centre chassis is replaced. I spoke to a few UK restorers about it and they were all unaware. I want to get this right moving forward and yeh, Duraclean needs it for sure! Wink
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

BeaterBarndoor wrote:
I have an original tube from a 60 that I can get some specs from but it may take some time as I am in the midst of a shop move and will need to dig around for it. So if it’s not urgent....

Yes please dude. Whilst I could do with the details as soon as possible, so far you’re the only help I have on this ..... so I’ll wait, thank you very much Wink
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Seems I'm not alone in this quest:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727560

one from the gallery ………

"1957 Euro Deluxe main wiring harness
Here are some pictures of the main wiring harness as it travels from front to back. There is a large tab that wraps pretty firmly around the wire bundle near the middle of the right side frame rail.
Here is the main harness exiting the covered channel in the right side frame rail just behind the front crossmember.
Note there is no tube as some have suggested." Confused

Confused Confused

Last edited by busben on Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

….and a couple of photos from the bullikartei forum.

So, does this exist on all belly pan buses? or introduced in a certain year? or??

Confused
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

it looks pretty evident to me that the welding on the crossmember is not original, so I would be suspect of the belly pans and/or wiring originality.

every belly pan bus Ive seen taken apart had the conduit

Do we really think the factory would install the main wiring harness in a BARE METAL bus before welding the floor or belly pans on?? We know they were dipped in primer...I doubt that was done with the wiring harness in place?

busben wrote:

DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

All belly pan buses had the conduit. The '52 Deluxe I'm working on now does, so I'm pretty sure it started from the beginning. It looks just like the above pictures... Just a straight piece of tube running barely past the frame close outs at each end and tacked there. Then a tab in the middle tacked to the frame and the tube to keep it from rattling. I think the original tubing size was like 3/4" or 20mm. If I have to replace it I've used a little larger size tubing as some new wiring harnesses can be tight going through.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
it looks pretty evident to me that the welding on the crossmember is not original, so I would be suspect of the belly pans and/or wiring originality.

That’s a fair comment dude.

sled wrote:
every belly pan bus Ive seen taken apart had the conduit

Interesting. I’ve never noticed them on a bus, and certainly never saw my old welder install them on a deluxe ..... but then the guy who used to do my welding isn’t really a “detail” kind of guy and probably wouldn’t have known without being told. It’s nice to have confirmation from you, and others, on this, and I also agree with your factory comments. I just need some measurements now although I can get a pretty good idea from the photos tbh Wink

Every day’s a school day eh! Laughing
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
All belly pan buses had the conduit. The '52 Deluxe I'm working on now does, so I'm pretty sure it started from the beginning. It looks just like the above pictures... Just a straight piece of tube running barely past the frame close outs at each end and tacked there. Then a tab in the middle tacked to the frame and the tube to keep it from rattling. I think the original tubing size was like 3/4" or 20mm. If I have to replace it I've used a little larger size tubing as some new wiring harnesses can be tight going through.

Great info. Thanks so much for this Very Happy Nice to get this right for the first time! Embarassed
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Dug it out.
a couple shots and some specs on a sheet. not super accurate but close enough to get the idea.

I use our(USA) 3/4" galvanized electrical conduit when I make them. Its slightly larger in diameter and a tiny bit thicker but does the job.

The original I have has quite a bend/kink in it , this is how it was when I removed it from the chassis. I didnt find it necessary to have that great of a bend to the ones I have installed. Basically just bend enough to follow the frame rails as they transition front to rear.
The flare is at the rear of the bus.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

JFYI guys, the 22x1mm (20mm ID) tubing is the same size as the original shift rods. it is still easily available in Europe.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

busben wrote:
….and a couple of photos from the bullikartei forum.

So, does this exist on all belly pan buses? or introduced in a certain year? or??

Confused

Nice to see my bus referenced here Wink

I found another one where you can see the bend. It appears to be be on the same spot where the main frame bends, which makes sense.

Since you don’t have acces to this area once the pans are welded in, those tubes are necessary to get the looms installed afterwards - upon first installation or repair reasons. But it’s a pain getting the loom in there.

I decided to go for detachable pans to have access afterwards.
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Can someone post a pic of where the loom would enter and exit the tube.
Thanks.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Hey!! Thanks everyone, superb info.

Mark ..... you’re a legend dude Very Happy
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Just to confirm my Feb 55 Deluxe has the loom tube.

Here is an original loom tube as seen on the June 1953 Greek School Bus (a Deluxe).
Picture is looking forwards towards the front right jackpoint area.

The tube sits up high in the rhs chassis rail.
Because of this location (as well as being covered by the belly pans), it is very rarely photographed.

Looks like the wiring tabs are still there, but unused.
Utilised for a naked harness, but redundant when the solid tube is fitted.

A theory as to why only the rear of the tube is flared is that the loom is threaded through from the rear, and the softer flaring will not cut into the loom.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Wiring Loom route detail, front

Schematic on how I think the loom/tube sits:

I'm guessing the naked loom just sits on the bottom of the arch there.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Thanks dude Wink
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

I still wonder how the loom is routed inside the rear kickup and if it goes under or over the torsion bar housing tube. and how in the world would it be fed in the loom tubing even with a flare. it is difficult enough to feed a leading wire and the loom on a bus without bellypans. When I built my (belly pan) chassis I put a 2mm steel wire in while building the rails, so I can later pull the wire loom. I wonder if they had somehting similar in Wolfsburg.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: